How to get run time down for Boot Camp?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question How to get run time down for Boot Camp?

Hello Marines.
    I am currently 16 years of age, and planning on becoming a Marine out of high school. My biggest concern, however, is that my current mile time is around 9 minutes, (it was 8:20 a couple months ago but it is going down). I also am concerned that I won't be able to reach the 3 mile point by the time I enlist. Can anybody give any tips on running in general to increase time or distance, and maybe even breathing? I can't seem to run more than a mile without my throat drying out and my lungs burning. My apologies in advance if this has been asked before, but I could not find a thread which addressed my specific issue. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Keep running........

Run Forrest Run,Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    That much I know, but if you guys could be more specific it would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Silverain View Post
    my current mile time is around 9 minutes, (it was 8:20 a couple months ago but it is going down).
    How did you get it down from 9 - 8?

By running, I assume. Unless while you were sleeping the running fairy sprinkled some run faster dust on you?

Running is one of those things that you have to do to get better, I think that's what the Marines before me were trying to say.

I would vary the distance, speed, surface, and what you wear to mix it up and get past plateaus.

Good luck, their is no easy way to improve your running -- but running helps.

Warm up and keep the runs varied.

Add some HIIT (high intensity interval training) to your run days. These would be days where you do your warm up and then do:

10 x 100 meters (max effort every set with as much rest time as necessary or 60 seconds)

This will help increase your VO2 max levels (how much oxygen your body can process during exercise) while giving your muscles a good workout without leading them to a catabolic state which reduces overall muscle mass.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    How did you get it down from 9 - 8?

By running, I assume. Unless while you were sleeping the running fairy sprinkled some run faster dust on you?

Running is one of those things that you have to do to get better, I think that's what the Marines before me were trying to say.

I would vary the distance, speed, surface, and what you wear to mix it up and get past plateaus.

Good luck, their is no easy way to improve your running -- but running helps.
    Yea I know what you mean haha. I also meant that my mile time is getting worse, as in it used to be 8:20 now its 9:00.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReservist View Post
    Warm up and keep the runs varied.

Add some HIIT (high intensity interval training) to your run days. These would be days where you do your warm up and then do:

10 x 100 meters (max effort every set with as much rest time as necessary or 60 seconds)

This will help increase your VO2 max levels (how much oxygen your body can process during exercise) while giving your muscles a good workout without leading them to a catabolic state which reduces overall muscle mass.
    Ah makes sense. Thanks for being specific too, I will definately give this a go.

No prob, look up the workouts that olympic sprinters do as they are able to maintain muscle mass while being fast unlike marathon runners who do lots of longer runs.

Yea I know what you mean haha. I also meant that my mile time is getting worse, as in it used to be 8:20 now its 9:00.
    My bad, that's what I get for watching the game and replying. Do what The Reservist said.

And hit the pavement.

And, since you have some time to get better -->try this link

Good luck

Run with boots and backpack with crap in it (keep increasing the weight by the week) and start running often... Start running.. then you see a tree.. sprint to that tree.. then continue running.

If you have that mindset of "running is my rest time" because of the sprints.. regular running will be much easier.. if that makes any sense.

Good luck to ya,

LCpl Yonkers

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks alot for the advice everyone. Much appreciated!

That's natural just keep running, no different than lifting weights sometimes you lift more or less, it's called breaking down,Good Luck,Semper Fidelis.

I been through boot camp and the police academy and the only way to get your time down is to run run run and then run some more. Just don't run to the point that you hurt yourself.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Try swimming laps, and swimming properly ...

That's the best cardiovascular workout there is... it will increase your upper body breathing as well..

Thread Information