New jobs at the Fiscal Year
Create Post

New jobs at the Fiscal Year

Hello Marines, today I met with my recruiter to go over the process at MEPS because I'm going tomorrow to take the test and swear in. While talking, I asked about choosing a job field. He said that they find out the new jobs for the new fiscal year around August and September. He said that because I will most likely be shipping out to Parris Island in October, that I would be able to choose from all these new jobs. Is this actually true? I'm just curious because I thought they didn't get the actual job list till October 1st (too late for me to choose from them).

Also, any advice for my trip to MEPS? I'm nervous that I won't do good on the ASVAB.

Thank you very much in advance Marines,
    -Christian

It's certainly possible.

As far as the ASVAB, it's just like any other test. Have you studied? You'll be fine. It's NOT rocketry.

Have you done any preparation/studying for the ASVAB? I always advise people to study for it as long as you can before actually taking it so you know what to expect and will have more self confidence. Public libraries have ASVAB study guides and you can also go on-line to see free practice exams. If you don't mind spending some money, you can order aids like flash cards with sample ASVAB questions that you can carry around with you and look at them anytime you have some down time. There are also "ASVAB for Dummies" books you can buy.

As with any important test, make sure you get a good nights sleep the night before (if that's possible). Try to eat a good breakfast that morning. Make sure you listen to and read all directions.

While at MEPS, it's a good rule to not talk to anyone unless you need to. You may hear remarks about Marines or the Corps you do not like but just consider the source. Do not take more than $25.00 cash with you (there is no reason you will need anymore than that). If you take more and lose it or have it stolen it will be your own fault (has happened before).

Good luck.

Thank you both for the replies so far.

I have taken a few practice tests (scored 89). I was planning on getting more study time in, because my recruiter told me MEPS in 1 month, then yesterday called and said "hey wanna go to MEPS tomorrow?", and of course I was more than happy to go even sooner. Didnt think about time to study because I really just wanted to swear in. Lucky for me though, there's supposed to be a large snow storm tomorrow that might postpone the test till Friday, and in that case I'll become a study nerd all Thursday (technically today)

Thank you again Marines

You're going to have a BLAST at MEPS!........*long pause follows*

The mil fiscal year is in Oct and I believe they can view all openings in Sept. I waited until the new list came out and got first picks on it. Pick fast because others will be snatching out the goody bowl leaving the candy nobody really wants. Try to get first pick and Oct is the PERFECT TIME to go to PI. I went and grad on Jan 6th, a couple cold days but other then that there's mild temps which is oh so perfect to go to Leatherneck Square and do the slide for life!

Good luck!

Thank you for the info Marine. I just got back from MEPS today, ended up doing the whole process today since a storm canceled the test Thursday night. Ended up getting an 87, so not too bad. Now all I have to do is wait till September to pick my field. My recruiter is having me choose my top 3 fields now, so as soon as the new jobs come out, he's sending it in right that day. It already feels like its going to be forever till October though.

Thread Information