The Staff Sergeant Recruiter told me to get the **** out of this office. - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I refer you to my Post #9, above.

You either want to be a Marine, or you don't. IF all that is available is Open Contract, then that's the way it is.

You can ALWAYS lat move after your first enlistment.

Not sure what, exactly, you might be looking for from us, though.
    I understand what you are saying in #9 post. I'll join as an open contract if that is the only way. Some recruiters are shady. If it open contract before MEPS is the only way that Marine recruiter will get an apology. If it's not. Then he lied to my face, and I'll just be going to a different station.

That is what I'm here to find out. I messaged afraziaaaa so we will see what I find out.

1: I deleted your double post.

2: "Some recruiters are shady". Really? And what, pray tell, information do you have to base that opine on? Word on the street? Actual no kidding shady-ness?

The SSgt will no doubt have some straight scoop one way or the other.

Credits
    Savings
    1: I deleted your double post.

2: "Some recruiters are shady". Really? And what, pray tell, information do you have to base that opine on? Word on the street? Actual no kidding shady-ness?

The SSgt will no doubt have some straight scoop one way or the other.
    Lol Please I'm not naive.

Yeah? Apparently, you are making an AZZUMPTION. You have no evidence whatsoever, just 'what you heard'.

Like it or not, it's a different world. Why would some 'shady' recruiter NEED to lie to recruit someone when they are turning people away? Logically, that makes no sense.

More likely than not, based on my own information, most boatspaces are full. Infantry fills up FAST. Since you stated Infantry is ALL you want, then Open contract is the ONLY other way to have a chance at it. Doubtful, but still a chance, since people drop all the time.

The longer the year goes, the less spaces there will be. So there will be more and more Open contract enlistments. 'Take 'em, or leave 'em' will be the attitude of MOST recruiters, since that is all they'll have (unless we are talking reserves, different story). But even there, there are only so many spaces, once they are gone, they are gone.

I know for a fact, in talking to my local RS, that their mission is 1 recruit per month. ONE. That's for an office with 3 recruiters, so each one has to send ONE per month (i.e. recruit one). Waiting list, at this point, is just about a year for someone who has already graduated high school. (Immediate HS grads are different but even they have to wait a bit).

They can afford to turn people away, or tell them "This is what we have....nothing else".

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah? Apparently, you are making an AZZUMPTION. You have no evidence whatsoever, just 'what you heard'.

Like it or not, it's a different world. Why would some 'shady' recruiter NEED to lie to recruit someone when they are turning people away? Logically, that makes no sense.

More likely than not, based on my own information, most boatspaces are full. Infantry fills up FAST. Since you stated Infantry is ALL you want, then Open contract is the ONLY other way to have a chance at it. Doubtful, but still a chance, since people drop all the time.

The longer the year goes, the less spaces there will be. So there will be more and more Open contract enlistments. 'Take 'em, or leave 'em' will be the attitude of MOST recruiters, since that is all they'll have (unless we are talking reserves, different story). But even there, there are only so many spaces, once they are gone, they are gone.

I know for a fact, in talking to my local RS, that their mission is 1 recruit per month. ONE. That's for an office with 3 recruiters, so each one has to send ONE per month (i.e. recruit one). Waiting list, at this point, is just about a year for someone who has already graduated high school. (Immediate HS grads are different but even they have to wait a bit).

They can afford to turn people away, or tell them "This is what we have....nothing else".
    Sounds like you are making an assumption about thinking I'm making an assumption.

I've heard from friends, family, Marines themselves getting screwed over by recruiters. That's not an assumption.

If you want to be a Marine then you have to play by the Marine Corps' rules. Maybe try a different recruiter, maybe ask for clarification in a tactful manner. I know there are some Marines, just a couple maybe, that are loose with the cursing, but more than likely something provoked your recruiter into saying what he said...

I remember signing papers before going to MEPS, you go to MEPS and if you pass everything you sign more papers, then you swear in, then you go back to your recruiting station and actually submit for the three occupational programs you would like. If I recall correctly those first papers actually do state open contract.

The Marine Corps wants enlistees who, above all else, desire to be Marines. A Marine cook is no less than any other Marine. And, you have already degraded Marine cooks. So to that, I say best of luck with the Army. Just get a neck tattoo and you'll be all set.

Recruiters being shady? Yes there was a time when that did likely happen on some minor scale, but that was while the US was still in the middle of two wars plus other operations in multiple other foreign countries; at a time when the Marine Corps desperately needed people to enlist.

That is not the case now. They no longer need to beg people to join, it's the opposite. You are going to have to bend over backwards if you want to join.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by haebyungdae View Post
    If you want to be a Marine then you have to play by the Marine Corps' rules. Maybe try a different recruiter, maybe ask for clarification in a tactful manner. I know there are some Marines, just a couple maybe, that are loose with the cursing, but more than likely something provoked your recruiter into saying what he said...

I remember signing papers before going to MEPS, you go to MEPS and if you pass everything you sign more papers, then you swear in, then you go back to your recruiting station and actually submit for the three occupational programs you would like. If I recall correctly those first papers actually do state open contract.

The Marine Corps wants enlistees who, above all else, desire to be Marines. A Marine cook is no less than any other Marine. And, you have already degraded Marine cooks. So to that, I say best of luck with the Army. Just get a neck tattoo and you'll be all set.
    I do want to be a Marine above anything else. I saw an army guy on T.V. with a huge neck tattoo. Never getting one of those.

If you want to be a Marine then get your self to the recruiting office and sign the contract and complete the necessary steps for becoming such. It is as simple as that.

You sign open contract before going to MEPS, which if you don't pass any point of MEPS is void (I know from personal experience), because you have not completed any of the steps that would prove your eligibility for any of the various occupational programs. And, if, after that point at which you pass MEPS, all they have left is open contract, then hey...you will still become a Marine.

Which, by your words, is what you want above anything else.

What were you expecting from all us Marines here? Especially, when you come in here post what you did and then proceed to degrade Marines working within food service or other jobs you deem below you, whilst also generalizing Marine recruiters as shady based strictly off word of mouth...all of this without, seemingly, taking the time to consider why things may be the way they are. Do you expect a different reaction from us?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by haebyungdae View Post
    If you want to be a Marine then get your self to the recruiting office and sign the contract and complete the necessary steps for becoming such. It is as simple as that.

You sign open contract before going to MEPS, which if you don't pass any point of MEPS is void (I know from personal experience), because you have not completed any of the steps that would prove your eligibility for any of the various occupational programs. And, if, after that point at which you pass MEPS, all they have left is open contract, then hey...you will still become a Marine.

Which, by your words, is what you want above anything else.

What were you expecting from all us Marines here? Especially, when you come in here post what you did and then proceed to degrade Marines working within food service or other jobs you deem below you, whilst also generalizing Marine recruiters as shady based strictly off word of mouth...all of this without, seemingly, taking the time to consider why things may be the way they are. Do you expect a different reaction from us?
    Okay you know those cook guys don't wanna be doing that job. They probably laugh about it how much is sucks I know I would.

They probably can't wait to get a lat move out!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Old Marines like myself will end up harkening back to the good old days when people joined the Marine Corps to be----Marines...We had no say in what MOS we would get, except Aviation Guaranteed. Otherwise, we had no say, not even the general field.

We joined because we wanted to, and we didn't even care what job they gave us.
    Dont forget to tell the young " Educated Lad" that in our day, after the recruiter yelled for you to GTFO,, if you didn't move fast enough, he'da had his spitshined shoes up your wazoo kicking you down the hallway and out the hatch onto the civilian sidewalk you came in on....
    Friggin' whining kids today , don't know how good they have it...

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Texas1989 View Post
    Okay you know those cook guys don't wanna be doing that job. They probably laugh about it how much is sucks I know I would.

That assumption is wrong. And I'm done with this thread.

I messaged afraziaaaa so we will see what I find out.
    What's the point? You assume recruiters are shady already and you don't trust them so why waste his time? Wonder what he would think about your opinion...what's the chances you told him when you asked for his help?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

My brother enlisted in the Corps specifically to be a cook. He enjoyed it very much and now works as an assistant executive chef in the Lake Tahoe area.

Now what?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    My brother enlisted in the Corps specifically to be a cook. He enjoyed it very much and now works as an assistant executive chef in the Lake Tahoe area.

Now what?
    Damn you got me.

Thread Information