Typical poolee question, I guess.
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Typical poolee question, I guess.

Hello Marines, I am in the DEP and scheduled to ship out in March. My goal is honor grad (other than graduating, of course). At the poolee event I got 19 pullups, 119 situps, but a 10:19 1.5 mile run. Now that I'm done rambling, are the books "Making the Corps" and "Jarhead" worth reading? My father picked them up for me. Thank you do input!

You may want to do a search on the site, I believe there may be a thread on books on Marine Corps History.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-11-12 at 08:13 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RJCox View Post
    Hello Marines, I am in the DEP and scheduled to ship out in March. My goal is honor grad (other than graduating, of course). At the poolee event I got 19 pullups, 119 situps, but a 10:19 1.5 mile run. Now that I'm done rambling, are the books "Making the Corps" and "Jarhead" worth reading? My father picked them up for me. Thank you do input!

"Making the Corps" is an OK book, but a bit out-of-date. It was written before the Iraq/Afghan wars. It still isn't a bad read as it covers the basics. Note that changes in the training syllabus have occurred since it was written.

As USMC1963 said, "Jarhead" is basically the ramblings of a disgruntled Marine from his experiences during Desert Storm. I was underwhelmed by the book.

My company's honor grads were picked by PFT/CFT/Rifle range scores. Whoever had the highest in the platoon turned into the guide and wore the blues as we did out final colum lefts/rights on Peatross Parade deck.

It maybe different for different companies but you'll have to drop that run time. PFC Green got a 600 out of 600 in the PFT/CFT. He ran his 3miles in 17 something and the 880 yd sprint in 2 min.

My man was a beast at PT

I'd recommend Sun-Tzu's art of war... and my fav book We Were One, shoulder to shoulder with the Marines who took fallujah.

Hell, if you really wanna read you should look up the commandant's reading list and get a million mile head start on your peers.

Thread Information