What's your favorite base/deployment that you have been stationed at? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by allenl0391 View Post
    You were assigned to a college? Not sure I'm tracking on that one.
    Yep. Applied for a program where the Marine Corps sent me as a student to college for 2 years. That was my MOS at the time - college student. Then I worked in the MOS I went to college for an additional 4 years.

Lot's of good programs out there, keep your options open and always check around.

Quote Originally Posted by Natadog View Post
    Let me just add, I ate Yakisoba while in Okinawa Everyday, Loved the stuff, still haven't found a place here like they made it in Japan!
    Oh, man, haven't had that in about...yeah, 28 years! Good stuff. Didn't eat it every day, but out the back/side gate of Camp Hansen/Butler there was a great place that served up Yakisoba and fried rice. Then just up the road to Ghengis Khan for Mongolian BBQ!

I was at Corry Station, Pensacola too. That place rocked! We had an enlisted club, the Windjammer, I think it was called....anyway, they had quarter beer night every week, and they always had really good entertainment there. I remember this guy, Ray Beam, the hip hypnotist. He was a blast, and he did some amazing things to people while they were hypnotized. Out on the town there was a place called Seville Quarter. It was like a huge mall downtown, but it was all bars and restaurants. What a great place. Perdido Keys, just a half hour away, you could rent out beach houses for the weekend. The sand was awesome....pure white. I could go on and on about Pensacola......
    Then...I got stationed in Rota, Spain. That place was a paradise back then (early 80's) with the exception of the gypsies, who would rob you blind in broad daylight. The base was pretty good, and offered lots of amenities, but the town was the real story. I'd go back in a heartbeat, given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Natadog View Post
    Let me just add, I ate Yakisoba while in Okinawa Everyday, Loved the stuff, still haven't found a place here like they made it in Japan!
    Kobe beef was great, what the hell is Yakisoba,lol? Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Yakisoba is a rice noodle dish, they made it with white or yellow noodles, loved them both, it's like Lo Mein in chinese. I warn you though, get the chicken, NOT the seafood, the seafood Yakisoba is too fishy, chicken Yakisoba is excellent!

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post
    I was at Corry Station, Pensacola too. That place rocked! We had an enlisted club, the Windjammer, I think it was called....anyway, they had quarter beer night every week, and they always had really good entertainment there. I remember this guy, Ray Beam, the hip hypnotist. He was a blast, and he did some amazing things to people while they were hypnotized. Out on the town there was a place called Seville Quarter. It was like a huge mall downtown, but it was all bars and restaurants. What a great place. Perdido Keys, just a half hour away, you could rent out beach houses for the weekend. The sand was awesome....pure white. I could go on and on about Pensacola......
    Then...I got stationed in Rota, Spain. That place was a paradise back then (early 80's) with the exception of the gypsies, who would rob you blind in broad daylight. The base was pretty good, and offered lots of amenities, but the town was the real story. I'd go back in a heartbeat, given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Whenever somebody in our shop rotated off the island, we would normally take them to the Four Seasons restaraunt for Kobe beef (cows never leave their stalls, are hand-massaged daily, and hand-fed bottled beer...very expensive for obvious reasons but tastes incredible). The meal was cooked on a hibachi grill at your table and served along with white rice, bean sprouts, chopped potatos, and a small salad.

The USO at Camp Foster served an excellent bowl of yakisoba (air conditioning was a plus also).

Every Thursday night was Mongolian BBQ over at the Kadena AFB enlisted club. That was outstanding chow too (and cheap).

Shakey's pizza had an excellent buffet (and cold beer) out in the ville.

One can definitely eat well on Okinawa! Gotta be careful you don't get fat though!!

Thread Information