What's your favorite base/deployment that you have been stationed at?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's your favorite base/deployment that you have been stationed at?

I am writing this post to ask all of you Marines, What is your favorite base you have been stationed at or your favorite place you have been deployed? Why did you like it? What is the Pros/Cons of that base? Where there any bases that you hated?

Thanks for your response,
    Poolee Lewis

P.S.- I know boot camp should be all of the poolees main focus. I just ask this question for fun and to see all of your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Ahhh. Puerto Rico--2 years there as a Morse Code Intercept Operator, MOS 2571, now it's 2621. Best two years of my life.

I hope you don't need to hear the pros and cons of a place like that, to a guy who was 19 at the time. LOL.

Very good question, though. Interesting. Some will say, as you said, worry about boot camp first, and you will be doing that. But that does not prohibit you from wondering about duty stations around the world.

By way of contrast, my one year at Camp Lejeune left something to be desired.
    There is just something lacking in Jacksonville, North Carolina when compared with San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Luckily, I was at Lejeune just prior to going to PR, not afterwards
    I definitely don't need the Pros/Cons for PR. I can understand why you loved it. Thanks for your response Sir.

Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii. Beautiful scenery, great facilities, friendly people. Just a nice base in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Conch View Post
    Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii. Beautiful scenery, great facilities, friendly people. Just a nice base in general.
    I would like to go to Hawaii one day.

And I doubt whether Conch has any "cons" about Hawaii other than perhaps the high cost of living.
    I bet the cost of living would be the only "con" too. Its hard to believe anywhere that was close to a beach could not liked. Haha

Good thread, thanks for starting it, because I will be learning about bases, myself.
    Some of us were stationed at just a few bases during our whole tours, but some of these guys and gals were at many many duty stations, even during just a four year period, so it'll be a learning experience for me as well as you.
    Your Weclome USMC1963. I just thought it would be nice to learn about the different bases and deployments because I love to travel.

This could be one of my favorite threads.
    Something different.
    Thanks again, and good luck to you
    Thank You.

I would like to know about any base that Marines are stationed at. Stateside, Overseas, Deployments, ETC.

MCB 29 Palms 1966-68

Okinawa as a billeting NCO for officers,Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    MCB 29 Palms 1966-68
    Thanks for your response. My brother and his wife are both currently stationed there.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Okinawa as a billeting NCO for officers,Semper Fidelis.
    Thanks for your response. I would love to go to Okinawa.

And I doubt whether Conch has any "cons" about Hawaii other than perhaps the high cost of living.
    Well put it this way, when I was there in 2009 a one bedroom-one bathroom apartment near the base started at $1325 a month. A studio apartment wasn't much cheaper. Milk is $5 a gallon, and gas is $4 a gallon and up. Everything is more expensive on the islands because it has to be shipped in from the Mainland. If you spend your money wisely and save wisely, you can make it in Hawaii. I had a great time there, but yeah the cost of living can be a killer sometimes. Then again, living here in Key West isn't much cheaper sometimes.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Okinawa pre-May 15, 1972 (when we gave the island back to Japan) was my favorite, although I still liked it when I returned in 1974.

Other than Vietnam, I was not very excited about Camp Lejuene. Didn't have a car and there was nothing much to do close to the base. The good part was I only spent 11-months there.

Credits
    Savings
    Marine Barracks 8th & I
    Plenty of EXCELLENT chow
    Needed to be on deck for any assigned detail squated away outside that LIBERTY CALL
    I didn't find any mud there !

Fired a weapon in the air( off duty )behind a sentry -wasn't nice !
    I think he s--- himself

Quote Originally Posted by Conch View Post
    Well put it this way, when I was there in 2009 a one bedroom-one bathroom apartment near the base started at $1325 a month. A studio apartment wasn't much cheaper. Milk is $5 a gallon, and gas is $4 a gallon and up. Everything is more expensive on the islands because it has to be shipped in from the Mainland. If you spend your money wisely and save wisely, you can make it in Hawaii. I had a great time there, but yeah the cost of living can be a killer sometimes. Then again, living here in Key West isn't much cheaper sometimes.
    Yeah. I can understand that. and with the economy I doubt it will be getting any better.

MCAS Miramar, California.... loved my time there.
    Great location, great scenery, and its close to all the attractions in Southern California.

I also liked MCAS Yuma in Arizona too.

Thread Information