What's your favorite base/deployment that you have been stationed at? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Okinawa pre-May 15, 1972 (when we gave the island back to Japan) was my favorite, although I still liked it when I returned in 1974.

Other than Vietnam, I was not very excited about Camp Lejuene. Didn't have a car and there was nothing much to do close to the base. The good part was I only spent 11-months there.
    I would really like to go to Japan. Its a place I have always wanted to visit or live.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Marine Barracks 8th & I
    Plenty of EXCELLENT chow
    Needed to be on deck for any assigned detail squated away outside that LIBERTY CALL
    I didn't find any mud there !

Fired a weapon in the air( off duty )behind a sentry -wasn't nice !
    I think he s--- himself
    What would one's MOS have to be to be stationed at Marine Barracks 8th & I?

Quote Originally Posted by CPLBurkeD View Post
    MCAS Miramar, California.... loved my time there.
    Great location, great scenery, and its close to all the attractions in Southern California.

I also liked MCAS Yuma in Arizona too.
    California would be nice compared to Georgia's hummidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Okinawa pre-May 15, 1972 (when we gave the island back to Japan) was my favorite, although I still liked it when I returned in 1974.

Other than Vietnam, I was not very excited about Camp Lejuene. Didn't have a car and there was nothing much to do close to the base. The good part was I only spent 11-months there.
    Hell when I go to Lejuene it sucked and in 3 weeks I seined a waver to go back to Vietnam.

MCRD, San Diego, but not as a boot, but when I went back in '81-83. Assignment: Civilian college up in Kearney Mesa for 2 years from 7:30 to noon. Noon to ?? at the beach, gym, Laguna Mountains, Balboa, wherever and whatever. Uniform: Shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops. Haircut: Once a month or so when I cruised down to MCRD itself.

Worst? None of 'em. I like all duty stations I was at, but I used to TAD to Yuma, AZ a few times a year and thought that was a hel! hole, and also TAD to some base outside of Dallas, TX where there was a reserve unit. That place was an armpit.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Camp LeJeune.....Grass is always greener over the septic tank!

Kaneohe HI......Aloha.....Pricey....But...party central!

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    MCRD, San Diego, but not as a boot, but when I went back in '81-83. Assignment: Civilian college up in Kearney Mesa for 2 years from 7:30 to noon. Noon to ?? at the beach, gym, Laguna Mountains, Balboa, wherever and whatever. Uniform: Shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops. Haircut: Once a month or so when I cruised down to MCRD itself.

Worst? None of 'em. I like all duty stations I was at, but I used to TAD to Yuma, AZ a few times a year and thought that was a hel! hole, and also TAD to some base outside of Dallas, TX where there was a reserve unit. That place was an armpit.
    You were assigned to a college? Not sure I'm tracking on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Camp LeJeune.....Grass is always greener over the septic tank!

Kaneohe HI......Aloha.....Pricey....But...party central!
    Hawaii and Japan seem to be popular answers.

My favorites (in order):

Guatemala City, Guatemala and Sao Paulo, Brazil (embassy duty). I was single and the state department paid all my bills PLUS gave me a COLA allowance (my USMC paycheck went into the bank). Latinas like Americans...nuff said!

Least favorite:

Port au Prince, Haiti (embassy duty also). The country itself is an armpit, there is an AIDS epidemic, and Haitians as a rule don't like Americans (we were shot at multiple times and even had a voodoo hex put on us).

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    C'mon Top, go into the subject of "Latinas like Americans" in a little more detail.
    Well, maybe not.

And no comment about whether Lep has voodoo hex powers here. I certainly hope not.
    Well, I married one of those hot Latinas I met while I was assigned to our embassy in Managua, Nicaragua. I was dumb and "in love". She hung around till I went to OKI then she hooked up with Jody...the rest is history.

Funny thing about that hex (there was chicken blood, candles, and who knows what else at the front gate to the embassy), the very next day one of the state department dependents was murdered by a Haitian in the parking lot because his visa application was denied. All dependents and nonessential personnel were immediately evacuated to the Naval base in Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico...your old stomping grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    even had a voodoo hex put on us
    Lol gotta love an old fashioned voodoo hex

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    My favorites (in order):

Guatemala City, Guatemala and Sao Paulo, Brazil (embassy duty). I was single and the state department paid all my bills PLUS gave me a COLA allowance (my USMC paycheck went into the bank). Latinas like Americans...nuff said!

Least favorite:

Port au Prince, Haiti (embassy duty also). The country itself is an armpit, there is an AIDS epidemic, and Haitians as a rule don't like Americans (we were shot at multiple times and even had a voodoo hex put on us).
    Brazil would be an AWESOME place to go. Its at the top of my list to visit already.

Unless we're on the receiving end, I guess. LOL
    I guess it would not be good thing to be on the recieving end of you believe in that type of thing. LOL

Or even if you DON'T believe in it
    That's true.

Credits
    Savings
    MOS for Barracks duty ?

Back in the day MOS was not a factor
    Mine was 0321

Commanders were sent a "recomendation" allowance
    They would select Thier most squared away
    The candidates would apply and "try out " for a slot.
    The appointment would be for one year

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    MOS for Barracks duty ?

Back in the day MOS was not a factor
    Mine was 0321

Commanders were sent a "recomendation" allowance
    They would select Thier most squared away
    The candidates would apply and "try out " for a slot.
    The appointment would be for one year
    Ok. Good To know. Thank you.

Camp Pendleton Favorite, Close to everything, loved Albertos burritos extra Sour cream, guac and cheese also loved Tijuana!

29 Palms, Boring, nothing to do nowhere to go

Okinawa, Japan, can be fun, just really small, Kadena Air Force base was cool, the Eagle Globe and Anchor had some good times, eat at the Kadena "Dining Facility" while your there.

Pohang Korea, was only there a few months, did Valiant Blitz and Mountain Warfare training with Rok Marines, not much Libbo, but it was ok.

Let me just add, I ate Yakisoba while in Okinawa Everyday, Loved the stuff, still haven't found a place here like they made it in Japan!

Thread Information