How do I respond to Semper Fi?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member newskate9's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

How do I respond to Semper Fi?

Good day all,

I'm a Marine dad and I often wear my best hat or jacket out, with clear Marines markings - gifts from my son. Often, an obvious Marine, and often others as well, will give me a hearty Semper Fi.

I'm not a Marine. When I have time, I stop to say hi and thank you, and explain it is my son that deserves the nods. But sometimes I don't have time - and I do not want to appear rude or arrogant in any way. So, what's the standard? Is there a right or wrong response?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by newskate9 View Post
    Good day all,

I'm a Marine dad and I often wear my best hat or jacket out, with clear Marines markings - gifts from my son. Often, an obvious Marine, and often others as well, will give me a hearty Semper Fi.

I'm not a Marine. When I have time, I stop to say hi and thank you, and explain it is my son that deserves the nods. But sometimes I don't have time - and I do not want to appear rude or arrogant in any way. So, what's the standard? Is there a right or wrong response?

Thanks!
    IMHO, just give a head nod and reply, "Semper Fi" back.

I was in a restaurant with a couple of my kids, had on a polo shirt with insignia, and as an older guy left, he said Semper Fi at me, and I just responded back "Semper Fi." He had no idea if I was a Marine or not. I think it is more discourteous to not say anything.

Similarily, I was enlisted. One day years ago I was driving an officer's car on El Toro, and Marines would salute me because of the blue decal. But I am not an officer, so I didn't salute back. Well...this really ticked a couple Marines off I could see from my rear view mirror. So I asked what is the proper protocol and was told they are saluting the decal. Just render a salute back, so that's what I did when driving the car on future occasions.

Newskate9: Reach down into the pit of your being and give a big, loud, "Ooorah!"

That is all.

Marine Family Free Member newskate9's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, Marines.

There are days it is hard to hold back the tears, I'm so proud of my sons. (1 Marine, 1 soldier, 1 coach).

Semper Fi it is. And Semper Fi to each of you.........

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newskate9 View Post
    Thank you, Marines.

There are days it is hard to hold back the tears, I'm so proud of my sons. (1 Marine, 1 soldier, 1 coach).

Semper Fi it is.....

Hey proud papa....

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    Newskate9: Reach down into the pit of your being and give a big, loud, "Ooorah!"

That is all.
    That'd be a big white toothed smile Marine style...Like when my kids impress me.

Last edited by acg8276; 01-09-12 at 06:06 PM. Reason: addition

Ooohhhrrraaah Proud Papa Thats How You Respond.

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Never hear any criticism from me about what my Brothers and Sisters do, but I just make time to make a new friend.

I am sometimes rushed, but usually there is a pot of gold in front of me instead of where I am rushing to.

An easy and inexpensive solution is business cards, with your name and telephone number and our beloved EGA. A quick "call me I am in a hell of a rush" works when nothing else will.

Love you guys - had a couple of Marines in my office today as new patients.

Semper Fi, Tom

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The info above is good to know, as many of the police in our neck of the woods had been in the Corps. Wearing the gear my son bought me, I was unsure of how to respond, but, now I know. If I do get the chance/time tho', I will say it's our son who's in the U.S.M.C.

That is all.
    my fav is the loud and obnoxious "rah" hahah

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This is very good to know...as my son has bought me a lot of Marine gear to wear also...and of course my bumper stickers...

Quote Originally Posted by Marinemom32 View Post
    This is very good to know...as my son has bought me a lot of Marine gear to wear also...and of course my bumper stickers...
    Generally, I am not a fan of someone wearing Marine gear if they are not or have not served. I've got a nephew who's been out of high school for a year now, and keeps walking around with shirts and hats with Marines printed on them. It is like walking around in a Harley-Davidson shirt but not owning a H-D; kind of wrong, in my book.

However, you should get a "Marine Mom" bumper sticker to keep on your vehicle. They can be found on Sgt Grit's website or picked up at the Recruiter's Station.

It may seem trivial, but there are many individuals that walk among you who will lend aid when a brother's parent is in trouble - from a flat tire to a hold up.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Generally, I am not a fan of someone wearing Marine gear if they are not or have not served. I've got a nephew who's been out of high school for a year now, and keeps walking around with shirts and hats with Marines printed on them. It is like walking around in a Harley-Davidson shirt but not owning a H-D; kind of wrong, in my book.

However, you should get a "Marine Mom" bumper sticker to keep on your vehicle. They can be found on Sgt Grit's website or picked up at the Recruiter's Station.

It may seem trivial, but there are many individuals that walk among you who will lend aid when a brother's parent is in trouble - from a flat tire to a hold up.
    OK...maybe i worded that wrong...it's not gear...but just T-shirts that he has bought me....just trying to show support for my son and the Marines, in no way am I trying to say that I was or am a Marine. And my bumper sticker does say "proud parent" of a US Marine that I got from his recruiter.
    But right now since he hit a deer with my car while home on leave, I am driving his car....and I do feel strange driving it, as all his bumper stickers indicate a Marine in the car. Can't wait to get my back!!

I am SO glad this was asked! I have some "Proud Mom of a Marine" clothes and I also get the "Semper Fi" at times and never know exactly what to say so I usually just say, "Thank you!"

I have always taken "Semper Fi" to mean "Always Faithful" to the Corps, my country, and to the great men and women who respect and appreciate our Corps and its fine traditions. Many times I have gotten a "Semper Fi" from someone with no affiliation to the Corps...just someone who who knows what it means, on a basic level, and is using it as a means of acknowledging my service to the country. It's actually sort of humbling when a civilian goes to any length to thank me for my service, so I'll take a "Semper Fi" whenever I can get one!

Thread Information