Peacetime Intel
Create Post

Thread: Peacetime Intel

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Peacetime Intel

Hello, Marines. To get straight to the point, I'm torn between enlisting into 267x (crypto linguist) and 02/26 (intel). Part of the appeal of being a linguist is the chance to go "outside the wire", but seeing as how it would be late 2013/early 2014 when/if I complete language training, we'll be in relative peacetime. How will this affect the work of a linguist? As for being an analyst, there's always information out there, peacetime or not, and I would rather be the one analyzing it than translating it, but even though there are plenty of opportunities for analysts, there are more opportunities for people who speak a foreign language. Is there a middle ground? I won't be enlisting until May, so I have time, but having some idea of what to do never hurts do any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Basically, it's whatever YOU think you want to do and what you'll enjoy doing for 6 years. Might sound simplistic but that's the very bottom line.

Good and bad points to both jobs of course.

Last bit, something you'll learn if you become an analyst....'Never assume'. Never assume it'll be peacetime.

Credits
    Savings
    Opinions
    There will never be TOTAL peace
    There will always be a need for this field

Be prepared to live under the radar for your lifetime
    When someone asks what do you do---
    You work for the government (end transmission)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley67f View Post
    ...seeing as how it would be late 2013/early 2014 when/if I complete language training, we'll be in relative peacetime.
    I think this is the same point everyone else is touching on... if your crystal ball can accurately forecast that well be in "relative peacetime" in late 2013 / 2014 then you should definitely go into Intel, as we need people who can accurately predict the future. I mean, if you can say with certainty and authority that Iran, North Korea, or some trans-national group won't be firing things up between now and then, then you have a lot to offer your country!

Okay, to get more serious - the point being that no one knows. In July 2001 everyone thought that we were in a state of "relative peace". Yes, UN inspectors were being frustrated in Iraq, but they had been for the previous decade almost.

Either of those MOS's could find you "outside the wire" or could find you sequestered in a windowless room tied to documents or a computer.

1. Being a crypto ling does does guarantee you to go "outside the wire" anymore than being a 0200 or 2600 (non 267X) does when it comes to in-country operations during an armed conflict.

2. Whether you are a 0200, 2600, or 267X, there will always be something on the plate. And given your dedication, drive, and initiative if you become an Intel (used loosely) Marine, there will always be opportunities both on the military and civilian side. There are probably more opportunities as IT rather than an analyst, but maybe that's being nit-picky.

3. Even if there is a conflict ongoing or tensions on the verge of evolving into combat operations and you enlist as a 267X, it does not mean that you will be trained it that respective country/region's language. I enlisted in 2003 and ended up learning Korean and knew other Marines that learned French, Spanish, Thai, Russian; the amount of Marines learning Korean surpassed the amount learning Arabic when I was going through the Defense Language Institute.

4. Ditto on what Sgt Lep, Apache, USMC1963 (Morse monkey haha), 03Mike said.

5. Just because you join as part of the 0200/2600 Occ field program does not mean you will become an analyst; very few Marines are formally trained as analysts (that doesn't mean you won't be tasked to do it though). Your definition of analyst is also very broad; in the sense that you are using it, obviously due to your own lack of knowledge of the two occ fields, a supply NCO, in his various functions, could be defined as an analyst.

6. Go with what you think you will enjoy the most, stick with it, do the best you can, and always reflect positively on your decision and you'll enjoy your time. If you want a more "definitive" choice of your MOS, since choosing the 0200/2600 option will have you drawing an MOS from a hat containing all available 0200/2600 MOSs, I would go with 267X because you are at least guaranteed to learn a language.

Good Luck

Last edited by haebyungdae; 01-10-12 at 07:01 AM. Reason: grammar

More of a term of endearment from one 2600 to a 2621 (Morse) Marine, nothing bad haha

Thread Information