Is going into the French foreign legion after the Marine Corps a good idea, Opinions?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is going into the French foreign legion after the Marine Corps a good idea, Opinions?

Ok Its been my dream to go into the Marine Corps since before I could remember my dad was a Marine combat engineer and my mom was army airborne. So I grew up ingrained with the military. But anyways I plan on going into the Marine Corps when I turn 18 but I was wondering if going into the French foreign legion after one enlistment would be a good idea. Then would it be possible to go back in the Marine Corps after wards? Because I would just like it for the experience and adventure. I'm 16 if anyone is wondering. All opinions are welcome, Because you have all earned the right. As I have not

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 12-05-12 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Site rules.....on this site, Marine Corps is always capitalized.

The French Foreign Legion - the last option for those desperate to escape the UK
    Lost your job, your home, your business? Is the wife about to take you to the cleaners? Is that a county court judgement dropping through the letterbox? Life is getting harder for the poor, put-upon British male. Really, just how many Robert Peston two-ways can a man take? If only one could forget it all and start again.

The elite men-only fighting force draw troops from all over the world Photo: AP
    By Neil Tweedie
    6:08PM GMT 03 Dec 2008
    There is a way, of course – one tried and tested over 180 years. And it’s dead romantic, too. The Legion Etrangere, zee French Foreign Legion.

As every fan of Beau Geste, March or Die and Carry On Follow That Camel knows, the Legion is an elite fighting force, drawing its men (no women allowed) from all corners of the world and touched by glamour.

Formed in 1831 by Louis Philippe to enforce French rule in newly-acquired Algeria, it developed into a collective exercise in convenient amnesia, acquiring a reputation as a haven for cut-throats, crooks and sundry fugitives from justice. Few questions were asked of new recruits, making it an ideal repository for the scum of the earth. And with the scum came the romantics, men searching for a way to dull the pain of doomed love.

Well, that was how Hollywood portrayed it. Cue matinee idol being asked why he has subjected himself to a life of brutal discipline, sand and sunburn. "To forget," says he, drawing on his Gitane and staring longingly into the distance amid a haze of blue smoke.

Reality is a bit different. France’s colonial empire may have disappeared, save for the odd outpost, but the Legion lives on. Almost 7,700-strong, it still operates around the world and gets into regular scrapes in Africa. While Frenchman make up most of the officer corps, enlisted men are predominantly drawn from outside France. The Legion’s image as a haven for ne’er-do-wells is largely out of date. Now, aspiring recruits are subjected to detailed background checks via Interpol.

"We don’t accept the hardened criminals any more, the murderers or rapists," says Capt Samir Benykrelef, "so this makes our job easier."

But there is still a hint of romance: all recruits must assume a new name on joining the Legion. This is because some recruits do indeed want a new start and new identity, and it is fairer to make all new Legionnaires undergo the same process. Soldiers can revert to their real identities after a year.

So, what does the Legion give the lucky entrant? A hard time, mainly.

Before being awarded the kepis blanc, the famed white cap of the Legion, recruits must endure a severe training regime which can involve punching and kicking. All recruits have to speak in French – even if they can’t. Even swearing must be in French, and there is a lot of that.

New recruits get about £1,000 a month and a shiny new rifle, which they are supposed never to leave on the battlefield. One practice popular in the main French army at certain times – surrendering – is not encouraged in the Legion, members of which are routinely expected to fight to the death. The good news is the wine. The Legion has its own vineyards in Provence which provide the main ingredient for regimental get-togethers.

After three years service, a legionnaire may apply for French citizenship. There is a quicker, more painful way way: a soldier wounded in battle may apply for citizenship under a provision known as "Français par le sang versé" ("French by spilled blood").

Some 140 nationalities are represented in the Legion, the motto of which is Legio Patria Nostra (The Legion is our Homeland). Composition changes with time, recruitment tending to thrive in countries experiencing economic and social stress. Traditionally, Germany has been a big provider of legionnaires – somewhat ironically given the Legion’s bloody roll in two world wars. Currently, eastern Europe is a fertile recruiting ground, together with Latin America. Brits, too, have played their part, but there was embarrassment recently when it emerged that many British applicants were failing selection due to endemic unfitness.

If some NCOs in the Legion are to be believed, the whole corps is becoming a bit soft and girly. Improved conditions and greater professionalism have in recent years resulted in more middle-class recruits.

Cpl Buys Francois, 43, a South African legionnaire who joined 11 years ago, says: "We call the new entrants Generation PlayStation because they’re so soft. Now we’re taking the ex-husbands running from alimony, and all these guys with university degrees."

This is your only warning!
    There is a curfew for those who are still in high school about being on Leatherneck on school nights and during school hours..........
    NO EXCEPTIONS.
    Unless you don't want to find yourself on a short vcacation away from Leatherneck for a time to be determined, DO NOT come on Leatherneck on school nights or during school hours.

Curfew during school nights.......and during school hours
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ol-hours/page2

You better bring your "A" game if you want to be a legionnaire. I used to dive with two former legionnaire's when I was stationed in Greece and they are the real deal. Much respect for those guys. They didn't talk much about their training, but the stories they did tell were pretty intense.

Being that you're only 16, enjoy your high school years and stay in school. Get good grades, don't get into any trouble, don't get any tattoos, and get that high school diploma.

If the french are so good they are not helping us on the war on terror are they? Semper Fidelis

Thank God the french were in the Nam 20 years before us.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    If the french are so good they are not helping us on the war on terror are they? Semper Fidelis
    I don't want to be the guy standing up for the French, but I do love french fries, and to your point -- they are there, they are fighting and dieing, too.

The legionnaires in Afghanistan have endured their share of violence. Adjutant-Chef Alex, from Newcastle upon Tyne, is expecting his fifth citation for valour for his role in a series of bloody firefights close to where ten French soldiers were killed in an ambush last year: “We got hit from 360 degrees,” he said of a recent battle. “Two of the Americans we were with were hit by bullets — one in the back plate, two bullets in the helmet and one in the hand. When the first helicopter came in, an RPG [rocket-propelled grenade] exploded a few metres away.”
    http://www.military-world.net/Afghanistan/2894.html
    Home has been in many far-flung places for legionnaires during their storied 178-year history - North Africa, the Far East, Mexico, and now the foothills of the Hindu Kush mountains in Afghanistan as part of NATO’s US-led International Security Force.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/mid...n_afghanistan/
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/12...2-nato-troops/

Ok brother wookie make mine American fries,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My Dad was a Korean War Veteran. He came across alot of French Foriegn Legionnaire's. He said that at least half were Russian deserters. At that time they were fighting in French Indochina later to be renamed Vietnam.

They told him that once you joined the French Foriegn Legion you could not get out. The only way out was if you got killed in battle...

Thank you all for your opinions,Advice and information, Helps a lot. @Usmc1963 I'll make sure to try it, Sounds like a great idea!

After speaking to a FFL a few years back, I kind of got the impression that they don't really take former U.S. Marines. If you become a Marine you won't want to become a FFL anyway. They are all about taking criminals that want to start over with a new identity. After serving 4 years I think, you can get out with a complete new identity and start over in the civilian world (although it might have to be France). Their training is very rough and long. During their service they don't have much of a life other than the Legion. Pay sucks and they get very little to no time off. Just worry about becoming a Marine and if you like the way of life, just stay with them and forget about all the romanticism of the FFL. Good luck sport!

Stick with the Marines we do it better, Semper Fidelis.

Thanks for the information! And thats what I've decided to do, The pro and con list helped me decide my opinion. So thanks @USMC1963 and everyone else for the advice and information.

Thread Information