just trying to adjust
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

just trying to adjust

Hello all,

I'm new on this forum, and just want to say that I've been trying to adjust with the concept of my son eventually leaving for basic training. Guess it didn't really hit me until he boarded that airport-bound bus yesterday after the oath ceremony for Parris Island. But as much as I'm certain he can tap into that reserve of strength he has to do what he has longed to achieve, I can do THIS. Thanks for your support, encouragement, and fellowship.

Credits
    Savings
    Good morning to you and congratulations on getting to the first step. As a parent of a Marine myself I know what you are feeling now. Here is a website that may be a big help for you on the many, many questions you are going to have over the next 12 weeks leading up to graduation. Check out http://marinefamilynetwork.com/ they are a wealth of information and will connect you to other parents that are in your Son's company. good luck to you and your Son.

Mike

Last edited by jp2usmc; 01-04-12 at 09:38 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Good morning to you and congratulations on getting to the first step. As a parent of a Marine myself I know what you are feeling now. Here is a website that may be a big help for you on the many, many questions you are going to have over the next 112 weeks leading up to graduation. Check out http://marinefamilynetwork.com/ they are a wealth of information and will connect you to other parents that are in your Son's company. good luck to you and your Son.

Mike
    Thank you , Mike, for your kind and encouraging words. I am familiar with the website you're speaking about, and not to post any disparaging comments, I chose to be here and not there. I'll continue to reach out here if that's okay, and look forward to fellowshipping with others. Thanks again.

There are many here, Marines, Parents, Spouses, who will assist you in the adjustment period. Just ask questions and you will get some good answers and suggestions.

We have requirements here at LN.Com of having a filled out profile. Please take the time to do this. People tend to answer quicker when they know who they are talking with.

Welcome.

We will help as much as we can. Unlike the other website, you will be talking to Marines here (for the most part) and our posts are not preapproved by a moderator. You may-or-may not like the responses you get but they will be honest.

For future reference, Army recruits go to basic training...USMC recruits go to bootcamp.

Welcome aboard.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    We will help as much as we can. Unlike the other website, you will be talking to Marines here (for the most part) and our posts are not preapproved by a moderator. You may-or-may not like the responses you get but they will be honest.

For future reference, Army recruits go to basic training...USMC recruits go to bootcamp.

Welcome aboard.
    Sorry--Thanks for making the correction, I thought it was the same thing. My son joined this forum as a poolee and often quoted an item that someone here offered. I know he's learned a lot from being here before he left. He called me early this morning, about 12:30am, to let me know he arrived at Parris Island....at least that's what I think he said. He was speaking so fast I couldn't make out what he was saying, only something about "....7-9 days". That's all I understood. I went to youtube to try to figure it out but couldn't find anything there. Maybe someone here can tell me.

Thanks for your welcome and honesty, and I appreciate the gesture.

That's the phone call all recruits make after they get there, and unfortunately, you don't get to talk with him. It's just to let you know that he has arrived safely and you'll be getting a letter from him in about 7-9 days. So, if you don't get mail from him in about 2 weeks, he'll be extremely busy going through processing, getting his gear, and then meeting his Drill Instructors over these next 5-7 days and wont have time to write. All I can say is to be patient and wait for that first letter to arrive, and I know that won't be easy.
    Write to him as often as you can!!! Mail is very important, and it's something that every recruit looks forward to before their 1 hour of free time in the evening.

Here's where you can find the training matrix to follow along as he goes through recruit training.......it'll give you a general idea on what he's doing every day.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

Best of luck to you and your son!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    There are many here, Marines, Parents, Spouses, who will assist you in the adjustment period. Just ask questions and you will get some good answers and suggestions.

We have requirements here at LN.Com of having a filled out profile. Please take the time to do this. People tend to answer quicker when they know who they are talking with.

Welcome.
    Thank you, and yes I filled one out. I'll go back and recheck it.

Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Good morning to you and congratulations on getting to the first step. As a parent of a Marine myself I know what you are feeling now. Here is a website that may be a big help for you on the many, many questions you are going to have over the next 12 weeks leading up to graduation. Check out http://marinefamilynetwork.com/ they are a wealth of information and will connect you to other parents that are in your Son's company. good luck to you and your Son.

Mike
    Here's another good one for Marine Parents on the East Coast, just in case your Son's recruiter forgot to mention it. It's done for Marine parents, by the parent of a Marine.

For anyone west of the Mississippi with a male entering service who views this thread, there is a link to the San Diego depot on the left side of the page.

http://www.usmcgradparrisisland.org/

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Here's another good one for Marine Parents on the East Coast, just in case your Son's recruiter forgot to mention it. It's done for Marine parents, by the parent of a Marine.

For anyone west of the Mississippi with a male entering service who views this thread, there is a link to the San Diego depot on the left side of the page.

http://www.usmcgradparrisisland.org/

Semper Fi
    Thanks, and I'll take a look at it.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Beleive me your son will draw strength from places that he never knew that he had. His love for you, his family and his friends will help him get thru this. Just know those first letters that you will get, will be hard to read...at least they were for me. The first two weeks are the worst.. receiving and forming. They are teaching them how to be recruits. So by the time you get that letter he will be on to something else. make sure you are writing him everyday, and the day you get his address put them all in the mail too him. We are all here to help you, this is a very emotional time.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    That's the phone call all recruits make after they get there, and unfortunately, you don't get to talk with him. It's just to let you know that he has arrived safely and you'll be getting a letter from him in about 7-9 days. So, if you don't get mail from him in about 2 weeks, he'll be extremely busy going through processing, getting his gear, and then meeting his Drill Instructors over these next 5-7 days and wont have time to write. All I can say is to be patient and wait for that first letter to arrive, and I know that won't be easy.
    Write to him as often as you can!!! Mail is very important, and it's something that every recruit looks forward to before their 1 hour of free time in the evening.

Here's where you can find the training matrix to follow along as he goes through recruit training.......it'll give you a general idea on what he's doing every day.

Thanks so much for the link, it's very helpful as I try to deal with him being away, makes things a bit more bearable. I'm glad you're able to 'interpret' what he said on the phone about the 7-9 days and I thank you for that. Aside from that part, I was also able to make out, 'goodbye for now' then an abrupt hangup. I'll be as patient as I need to to be for that first letter. What a prize that will be! Before my son left, I promised that I would jog 3x p/week in solidarity with him. I get up at 3am daily to start my day and do some work anyway, and jogging in the morning will do some good. I'm very weepy these days, so please forgive me if I go on. Thanks again for your time.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinemom32 View Post
    Beleive me your son will draw strength from places that he never knew that he had. His love for you, his family and his friends will help him get thru this. Just know those first letters that you will get, will be hard to read...at least they were for me. The first two weeks are the worst.. receiving and forming. They are teaching them how to be recruits. So by the time you get that letter he will be on to something else. make sure you are writing him everyday, and the day you get his address put them all in the mail too him. We are all here to help you, this is a very emotional time.
    I do so appreciate your helpful reply as I try to put things in their place. I worry that he's not feeling well...or that he's tired...or hungry....andonandon. It's only been he and I since his dad died years ago, so I'm feeling this one. I wasn't very surprised when he announced he wanted to be a Marine. He was always a focused and determined boy, never looking to the left or to the right, just what was ahead of him. When asked 'why', he said he wanted to do something worthy and if he was going to be in the military, he wanted to be trained by the very best. Who could argue with that? I didn't beg, plead, threaten, cry, or threaten to turn blue, but let him follow his heart and tried the best I could to guide him in the direction he yearned for.

Short story.....My son always wanted to be in military service since a little boy and would put on his 'military boots' (snow boots) and march to patriotic music waving a mini flag. I of course would have to participate. One day at 10 years old he asked me to take him to a recruiting station, and so we visited a Marines station in NYC somewhere. He was so impressed and taken with the young men he spoke to, and one of them told him to "study hard and well, do right in your life and one day we'll see you again". He never forgot those words, and did well in school with honors.That 'day' spoken of long ago had finally arrived, 8 -1/2 years later. As he grew up I made sure I gave him roots along with wings, and I guess it's time for those wings to stretch and fly.

You're so kind to offer me comfort, and I appreciate the time you share. Thanks again.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post

I loved having the training Matrix...I looked at everyday to see what he was doing, my co-workers were always very excited to see what he would be doing everyday. I made little notes on it, and gave it to him while on leave...he loved that I followed him everyday, and wrote him notes on it. Defnitely follow that

Thread Information