Switch from NROTC to PLC - need help
Create Post

Exclamation Switch from NROTC to PLC - need help

Hi Marines,

Currently I am about to begin my second semester of NROTC Navy-Option at Miami University. I am not on scholarship. I have come to face it that I want to be a Marine Officer, and nothing less. I have several friends in the PLC program, and I really want to switch. I am an all in or out kinda guy. I would rather do my schooling and then do OCS in the summers and then start my career as Marine after graduation. I've realized that I want to do PLC over NROTC. Scholarships are scarce, and switching to Marine option isn't exactly the easiest thing. That, and I really would need to have a perfect PFT come pretty soon, which I'm not close to.

So my question is, does dropping NROTC Navy-option look bad for a PLC application? I left in good standing and with good grades, but I realized that I want to go PLC. My father (ex-Navy) is convinced that I will be shunned from the military, and that I'm making a huge mistake.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. I need to switch over soon before the next semester.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 01-03-12 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Hi Marines a more appropriate greeting that Howdie everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cpxander View Post
    Howdie gentlemen,

Currently I am about to begin my second semester of NROTC Navy-Option at Miami University. I am not on scholarship. I have come to face it that I want to be a Marine Officer, and nothing less. I have several friends in the PLC program, and I really want to switch. I am an all in or out kinda guy. I would rather do my schooling and then do OCS in the summers and then start my career as Marine after graduation. I've realized that I want to do PLC over NROTC. Scholarships are scarce, and switching to Marine option isn't exactly the easiest thing. That, and I really would need to have a perfect PFT come pretty soon, which I'm not close to.

So my question is, does dropping NROTC Navy-option look bad for a PLC application? I left in good standing and with good grades, but I realized that I want to go PLC. My father (ex-Navy) is convinced that I will be shunned from the military, and that I'm making a huge mistake.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance. I need to switch over soon before the next semester.
    Go talk to your local OSO. This office will give you better advice than you will get here.

Thank you, Staff Sergeant.

If you are not on scholarship, there is nothing to preclude you from doing PLC while remaining in NROTC until the end of your sophmore year.

Thread Information