Prior Army to Marines or College?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Prior Army to Marines or College?

I am prior service Army. Twenty Eight years of age. But in absolutely great shape as i'm a previous Infantryman who's company did not joke around with fitness standards. Not only that, but I value personal fitness anyway. I'm torn between getting into College in a four year University or joining the Marine Corps. I've always valued the Marine Corps brotherhood and Pride. And strongly believe I would at least want to have it's tradition carried along with my future offspring starting with me. I have no kids at the moment.

It's been rough finding a job. Even with Military on the Resume i've gotten no offers and i've not been arrested or any trouble of the sort. Going through as much trouble as anyone else however. Wouldn't say i'm stupid, i'm fairly intelligent so i'm pretty baffled. But yeah I know I still have a ways to go.

In one aspect going to College then the Corps sounds great. But if I went to College for four years and attempted to enlist in the Marines, even as Prior Service I wouldn't be able to because I will be too old via Corps. regulation. Then in another sense if I go into the Marines i'll be hella old coming out. And would probably look like a walking crypt trying to go to College with a bunch of 19+ year olds. I have a strong desire to become a Marine. To say I actually was a Marine due to the pride and brotherhood. I only have one shot and that's at my current age if I want to join the Marines.(At least that's what a recruiter in my area is telling me) But I also would not wish to end up in later years being unable to land a job again and end up on the streets. I'm not sure if the weight of having Marine Corps on my resume is stronger weight than having Army service on my resume. Whether it looks better or not? And before it's thought of. No I wouldn't be joining for money. I at least well enough know now you join for other reasons than that. I initially never joined for money anyway. I'm really just torn on what to do and need some outlook.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Can't nobody make the decision for you....except you.

The Marine Corps is scaling back in its recruitment.

You may consider signing on as a reservist and then you would be able to go to college and be a Marine also.

Since you are prior service army you should have the benifits of education to help you out.

You need to see a recruiter ASAP as you are not getting younger...regardless of your physical health....

And as far as being a dinosaur on a college campus....you are there for the education....not what the younger generation has to say....they should be there for the education also....

Allot of people go back to school well up in age to get a degree....just because they want to say they did it.

Being 28 your maturity level should be the factor.....not whether you look like a "walking crypt".

Since I respect ALL branches of the armed forces that serve...that having Marine on a resume helps or not compared to army....but since I am bias and partial to Marines...my personal opine would be ....yes.

This all being said....you need to make the decision that is right for you....and go see....not call a recruiter ASAP!

Take ALL prior service paperwork.

Time is of the essence....and before you start turning into a zombie you need to get busy.

Good luck!

I'd think you'd catch a lot of criticism being Army and coming in. One promotion available and two people qualify: One prior Army, one all Marine. Which one gets the promotion?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you're planning to enlist, now is the time to get going. You do realize you will have to go to boot camp with 18 and 19-year old kids? No slack for the old man from the Drill Instructors (who may also be younger than you). You will go in as a contract PFC (E-2), but will be treated as a Recruit during boot camp. If you have combat time, the DIs may (MAY) cut you a tiny bit of slack on the Army teasing.

I went to boot camp with a prior Army service recruit. Other than some ragging early on, once he proved himself after a couple of weeks, the DIs let up. They made him a squad leader and he stayed there from beginning to end. I think he was the only SL who did.

Good luck. Prior service Marines are playing Holy hell trying to get back in right now. The Corps is downsizing and re-enlistment boatspaces are shrinking too.

Your Army service won't hurt you in the Corps if you have a positive attitude about the culture change. There will be some ragging in boot camp, and perhaps some later on, but nothing serious. In the long run, your prior service will probably be a positive for you.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you everyone. Phantom Blooper, you gave me a great outlook. Shows I still have a few things to learn. I really appreciate the replies gentlemen. It gives me a greater outlook and leads me to follow my heart.

jp2usmc, I would hope not. That is the reason I would not rather go full time Army. With as much respect as I have for the Corps, I would hope that type of game isn't played. Especially if I were a born again Marine who earned the title.

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    I'd think you'd catch a lot of criticism being Army and coming in. One promotion available and two people qualify: One prior Army, one all Marine. Which one gets the promotion?
    In my experience, the Army guy will get the promotion simply because he has a LOT more experience. Let's say you have two lance corporals vying for a meritorious promotion spot. If you're a sergeant major, who would you rather have leading your Marines, a 20-year-old kid who's barely old enough to sneak beer back into his barracks room, or a 28-year-old man who's been on combat deployments? You'd have to be crazy to say "I'm going with the 20-year-old because he's All Marine." That's just ridiculous.

There's a guy in Iwakuni I knew who was in the exact same spot as the OP, except he was prior Air Force. I think we ragged on him a couple times, but we shut the hell up whenever he said something because he knew what he was talking about. His command meritoriously promoted him as soon as they could.

To the OP: You're going to get a lot of people who are going to give you the benefit of the doubt because you're older and have prior military experience. At the same time, you're going to be held to a higher standard; things that would make a gunnery sergeant go "Whatever" toward a 20-year-old will put him into asschewing mode toward you. If you're a great guy, then go for it.

I never said who would get the promotion, because no one knows what the Sergent Major is going to think. I just put that out there as "food for thought."

Quote Originally Posted by kylandrake View Post
    I am prior service Army. Twenty Eight years of age. But in absolutely great shape as i'm a previous Infantryman who's company did not joke around with fitness standards. Not only that, but I value personal fitness anyway. I'm torn between getting into College in a four year University or joining the Marine Corps. I've always valued the Marine Corps brotherhood and Pride. And strongly believe I would at least want to have it's tradition carried along with my future offspring starting with me. I have no kids at the moment.

It's been rough finding a job. Even with Military on the Resume i've gotten no offers and i've not been arrested or any trouble of the sort. Going through as much trouble as anyone else however. Wouldn't say i'm stupid, i'm fairly intelligent so i'm pretty baffled. But yeah I know I still have a ways to go.

In one aspect going to College then the Corps sounds great. But if I went to College for four years and attempted to enlist in the Marines, even as Prior Service I wouldn't be able to because I will be too old via Corps. regulation. Then in another sense if I go into the Marines i'll be hella old coming out. And would probably look like a walking crypt trying to go to College with a bunch of 19+ year olds. I have a strong desire to become a Marine. To say I actually was a Marine due to the pride and brotherhood. I only have one shot and that's at my current age if I want to join the Marines.(At least that's what a recruiter in my area is telling me) But I also would not wish to end up in later years being unable to land a job again and end up on the streets. I'm not sure if the weight of having Marine Corps on my resume is stronger weight than having Army service on my resume. Whether it looks better or not? And before it's thought of. No I wouldn't be joining for money. I at least well enough know now you join for other reasons than that. I initially never joined for money anyway. I'm really just torn on what to do and need some outlook.
    Why didn't you join the Marine Corps right off the bat, I just about took the army route first, until a great friend of mine steered me in the right direction,Semper Fidelis.

Why not get a college education and go back in as an officer??

A lot of Veterans are having trouble finding jobs right now, as over 19% of Veterans aged 25 - 29 are currently unemployed.

You should be getting the Post 9/11 G.I. bill now, so there should be no reason why you cannot start at a county college for 2 years, get your associates, then transfer to a public 4 year institution to earn your bachelors. During that time you will be using your GI Bill which would pay for both the schooling and housing. So if you plan it out correctly then you should be able to get out of school in the black i.e. making money.

http://www.businessweek.com/finance/...you_think.html

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    I never said who would get the promotion, because no one knows what the Sergent Major is going to think. I just put that out there as "food for thought."
    It has very little to do with what the SgtMaj thinks. The fact is that prior service guys get promoted faster because they accumulate more points toward their composite score via TIS and TIG.

Once you reach the SNCO promotion level, your prior time in the Army may hurt or help you, but the impact will be negligible.

I like Phantom Blooper's idea of being a Marine reservist and going to college, but it is your life, not mine.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReservist View Post
    Why not get a college education and go back in as an officer??

A lot of Veterans are having trouble finding jobs right now, as over 19% of Veterans aged 25 - 29 are currently unemployed.

You should be getting the Post 9/11 G.I. bill now, so there should be no reason why you cannot start at a county college for 2 years, get your associates, then transfer to a public 4 year institution to earn your bachelors. During that time you will be using your GI Bill which would pay for both the schooling and housing. So if you plan it out correctly then you should be able to get out of school in the black i.e. making money.

http://www.businessweek.com/finance/...you_think.html
    Because I will be too old to initiate the Officer program by the time I finish my degree via Marine Corps. standards. Least that is what I am being told. If you mean go back Army? I will not go Army again, it's degraded and hasn't been for me in awhile. The meaning of Pride and brotherhood is no longer there with most units. It's all about "I just came in to get benefits since the Economy sucks right now", or "Just gonna do my years and get out to have on my Resume' couldn't care much about anything but myself". With most I met.

SGT7477, when I first enlisted the Marine Corps recruiter would never answer the phone. And the nearest Recruiting station at the time was not within walking distance. I had no car and wasn't the beast I am today physically lol. When an Army Recruiter picked me up I finally managed to see a Marine Recruiter sitting in his Office but did not engage in good conversation with him as he was with someone else. Plus the Army Recruiter promised everything in the book.

afraziaaaa, are the Marine Reserves similar to Army National Guard? I've done a stint in the Guard. The part-time route was like slow torturous annoying boyscouts at times. Infantry guys were squared away, least most were, but the others in Guard horrible compared. Part-time didn't help in life at all though. I mean after all look at my current condition now. I can't land a job. And the Guard didn't do squat for helping pay bills. Tuition for these parts isn't fully paid for either if you go the Guard route. But i'll shut up because it now just sounds like a bundle of excuses.

It's something i'm going to think on though.

Plus the Army Recruiter promised everything in the book.

afraziaaaa, are the Marine Reserves similar to Army National Guard? I've done a stint in the Guard. The part-time route was like slow torturous annoying boyscouts at times. Infantry guys were squared away, least most were, but the others in Guard horrible compared. Part-time didn't help in life at all though. I mean after all look at my current condition now. I can't land a job. And the Guard didn't do squat for helping pay bills. Tuition for these parts isn't fully paid for either if you go the Guard route. But i'll shut up because it now just sounds like a bundle of excuses.

It's something i'm going to think on though.
    LOL! That is how the Army gets ya! That and talking smack on all the other branches.

Sounds what you are looking for is offered on the active duty side and not in college. It seems to me that you already know what you want to do, you just can't see clearly enough to read the label on it.

Credits
    Savings
    So i've hit a slump lately. The Recruiter I was dealing with informed me all Infantry slot positions are filled for the entire year. I'm not going in as anything other than Marine Infantry. I contacted another Recruiter recently and they tell me my unit has to give me a 368 form filled out completely by the unit and hand to him. But my unit is telling me I have to get the 368 from the Marine Recruiter on his end, that they aren't giving me anything on their end. I call him back and he keeps saying no they have to give me the form filled out to give to him. Holy crap. It's like they do not care about Prior guys in at all. So I guess dreams are shattered, yet not over. I'll continue fighting but i'm at a standstill now. I wait till the end of the year i'll surely be too old to transition based on the standards Recruiters are giving me.

So i've hit a slump lately. The Recruiter I was dealing with informed me all Infantry slot positions are filled for the entire year. I'm not going in as anything other than Marine Infantry. I contacted another Recruiter recently and they tell me my unit has to give me a 368 form filled out completely by the unit and hand to him. But my unit is telling me I have to get the 368 from the Marine Recruiter on his end, that they aren't giving me anything on their end. I call him back and he keeps saying no they have to give me the form filled out to give to him. Holy crap. It's like they do not care about Prior guys in at all. So I guess dreams are shattered, yet not over. I'll continue fighting but i'm at a standstill now. I wait till the end of the year i'll surely be too old to transition based on the standards Recruiters are giving me.
    Sounds like that Marine is slightly misinformed. It happens. PM me your email address. I will send you a .pdf of a blank DD-368. The recruiter and your unit will still have to sign it, but at least you will have the form.

Credits
    Savings
    Really afraziaaaa? Thank you! That's exactly what I need. Done, and done.

Thread Information