Plt. 65, MCRD San Diego SDI Radmer 19448
Create Post

Red face Plt. 65, MCRD San Diego SDI Radmer 19448

Looking for anyone who was in Plt 65 in July 1948, if there are any still around, I know of 3, Me, Dale Mott, George (Howard) Groesbeck.

Registered User Free Member GarvinRay's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Mcrd Sdiego-1948

Hey peacetime Marine. Boot camp in 1948 was not that easy for some. I can not remember what platoon I was in, but we had to be in at least the same series. I enlisted 1Jun48 and stayed in Receiving Barracks about two weeks waiting for enough men to form a platoon and series. That was a fun time.

My senior DI was a TSgt Brasswell. Another Marine that was there during that period was a John Alferes and he lives ritht here in Eugene, Oregon. (He was not in my platoon). Another was a Alvin M. Wilkerson who passed away of cancer about 10 years ago and also retired here.

Give me a hoot via e-mail.

SemperFi,

MSGT Garvin Ray Stewart USMC(Rtd)

Replying to a reply

Hey Sarge, good to hear from you. Just by chance, I joined the Corps in Portland, came up from Brookings. I guess back in those days it took at least a week in receiving barracks, but I don't remember it being fun. But thats where I learned the Marine Corps Hyumn.

Our son lives in West Lynn, and works with Tri-Care. I'll be coming up to Portland on the 16th of September to say good-by to a Marine I served with back in 49-52 up in Bremerton.

He turned in his 782 gear, and left us a awhile back, and they waited till his Marine grand-son could come home from Irac before they buried him (which will be on the 16th).

Perhaps you may have heard of him, his name is Art McKellips and was active in the MCL in Portland. I remember coming up there(from California) when he was sworn iin as Commander of the Post in Portland, waaayyyyy bbbbaaaccckkk!.

Semper Fi,

Ken Hanley

I am SgtMaj Radmer's son, let me know if you would like to reach out to him. I am sure he would like to hear from his Marines.

He was the guest of honor today at my work place's Marine Corps Birthday Ball.

Thumbs up SgtMaj Radmer, my DI in San Diego PLT^ 65 1948

Quote Originally Posted by KrisRadmer View Post
    I am SgtMaj Radmer's son, let me know if you would like to reach out to him. I am sure he would like to hear from his Marines. He was the guest of honor today at my work place's Marine Corps Birthday Ball.
    Sgt Radmer taught us well, if fact so well, he more than likely saved a lot of men during the Korean War with the training he gave us. I was his Right Guide during most of the time we spent in training, and lot it when he found a smoke-butt hid behind a heater. Another thing I remember well, was the time we were standing outside the mess hall waiting to go in for breakfast, when all of the sudden I felt his brogan boot up my tail, with a comment"Hanley you are the only SOB that I've ever seen sleeping standing up". I guess I was swaying and admit, I was dozing off. Without a doubt, one of the finest men, I've ever known. Semper Fi Sarge!! and God keep you around a little longer. Ken Hanley jarhead48@comcast.net

Last edited by jar48; 11-10-12 at 09:47 PM. Reason: adding email address.

Below are a few pictures of SgtMaj Radmer. He is now 93 years old and has recently moved back to Northwest Arkansas. He still wakes at 0530 for PT and is never seen without at least one Marine Corps emblem on his person. Before you bootcamp he remembers being a "SACO" Marine in China, after his two tours as a DI he went on to serve in the Korean War with the 1st Div., promoted to SgtMaj two years before retiring in 1960 with last duty station as SgtMaj of the Marine Embassy Security Guard Training School. After retiring he served 14 years in the State Department, International Police Academy/Office of Public Safety teaching anti guerrilla tactics, explosives. He now keeps up with his grandson, preparing the next generation Marine.

I will send his address to your email address.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Radmer_far right.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	23936Click image for larger version

Name:	International Police Academy.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	23934Click image for larger version

Name:	550963_10151062268449678_473385751_n.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	23933Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine Embassy Guard Training_right of the Col..jpg
Views:	183
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	23935

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Kris completely fill out your profile before posting again.
    Site rules.
    I am going to leave your posts and not delete them.

Boot Camp

Hi, my name is Dallas and I was sworn in on 20121120 and my ship date is 20130520. May you provide me with what will boot camp be like?

Thread Information