Whap happened to my great grand uncle
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Whap happened to my great grand uncle

Hi, I did not know where to post this, so please move my post to the right forum.

I am trying to find out what happened to my great grand uncle, who once dissapeared in America. His name was Emil Bernhard Thorsų and was born in Kristiansund, Norway in January 09 in 1883. He was a marine fireman. In 1900 he was on a Norwegian steam ship DS Haugesund.

But in 1905 he sent a letter back home and his address was then Emil Thorsen, USS Brooklyn. The letter is stamped New Orleans. So I am wondering if anyone has information about people who served on USS Brooklyn at that time.

In 1918 he is found on a World War 1 draft Registration in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon.
    If anyone wants further information here is a board on him on Ancestry.com http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.as...am.usa.general

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akkarmannen View Post
    Hi, I did not know where to post this, so please move my post to the right forum.

I am trying to find out what happened to my great grand uncle, who once dissapeared in America. His name was Emil Bernhard Thorsų and was born in Kristiansund, Norway in January 09 in 1883. He was a marine fireman. In 1900 he was on a Norwegian steam ship DS Haugesund.

But in 1905 he sent a letter back home and his address was then Emil Thorsen, USS Brooklyn. The letter is stamped New Orleans. So I am wondering if anyone has information about people who served on USS Brooklyn at that time.

In 1918 he is found on a World War 1 draft Registration in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon.
    If anyone wants further information here is a board on him on Ancestry.com http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.as...am.usa.general
    Based on your information, it is unlikely that your great uncle was a US Marine. A "marine fireman" was a term used to describe a sailor whose job was to tend the boiler fires used to propel ships, both commercial and naval. Seagoing Marines were stationed aboard warships and were used as the ship's security force, formed landing parties, and manned secondary ship's guns in battle.

Moreover, the Marine Corps did not use draftees in World War One as they had more volunteers than could be used.

However, if you are certain that your relative served in a branch of the US military, you can try to obtain records from the National Archives. Try this link: http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

I suggest starting with the US Navy and see where that leads. Good luck with your search.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank`s! I will try that. But shouldnt he be at some records of employed people on USS Brooklyn?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank`s! I will try that. But shouldnt he be at some records of employed people on USS Brooklyn?
    There might be crew rosters, but the USS Brooklyn you're speaking of was decommissioned in 1921. No current USS Brooklyn is serving in the US Navy.

I do not know where to find such rosters other than through the National Archives.

Employed people on the ESS Brooklyn were US Navy personnel. Use the link you were given to look him up.

All navy crew rosters, as well as the entire muster rolls of the USMC (up until 1940)are available at ancestry.com. It costs money but if you are researching, it can't be beat.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank`s all of you. I have registered at ancestry and are going trough the muster rolls. No luck yet, but hopefully I will find him.

Credits
    Savings
    I have looked in the muster rolls, but can not find him. Here is the adress he sent in the letter in 1905. He also says in the letter that they are in New Orleans, and are staying there a few days.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thorsenadress.jpg‎
Views:	336
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	9342  

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have looked in the muster rolls, but can not find him. Here is the adress he sent in the letter in 1905. He also says in the letter that they are in New Orleans, and are staying there a few days.
    Daniel, I think the New Orleans address will be a dead end for you. In 1905, they did not have the same Fleet Post Office (FPO) system they have now. As you can see, the address was in care of the Postmaster for New Orleans. It was possible for a letter addressed to a sailor assigned to a naval vessel to take months to catch up to him. It can still take some time even today.

Today each ship has it's own nine-digit Zip Code (or mailing code) that follows it all over the world. The FPO keeps track of ship locations and forwards mail to it. In fact, even Marine Corps units have FPO addresses for those stationed overseas or aboard ship. U.S. Army and Air Force units use the APO system (Army Post Office).

I think your best bet is to try the National Archives. Your situation isn't unusual for families whose relatives changed their names from native spellings like Thorsų to an Anglicized Thorsen. This was a very common practice upon immigration to the U.S. back then. Sometimes the immigration officer just changed it without asking.

Good luck. Sometimes finding information on Americans whose families have been in the U.S. for many generations can be difficult.

Good advice. The last option is to actually hire a professional to do the work for you, although this can be an expensive proposition at times....and still yeild nothing. Try the census rolls for that time period, specifically 1910, 1920, and 1930. (They are done every 10 years). Since you've already tracked him to OR, you might find him still there in 1920/30. Also, the 1940 census has just been released, so that is worth looking at, as well.

I just found this post. I have a cousin who was a Fireman on board the USS Brooklyn in 1918. He died as a result of an explosion onboard in December 1918.

"Armored Cruiser No. 3 USS Brooklyn coal dust explosion killed 9 Firemen and a Chief Water Tender. 9 Dec. 1918."

This maybe what happened to your great grans-uncle.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPullon View Post
    I just found this post. I have a cousin who was a Fireman on board the USS Brooklyn in 1918. He died as a result of an explosion onboard in December 1918.

"Armored Cruiser No. 3 USS Brooklyn coal dust explosion killed 9 Firemen and a Chief Water Tender. 9 Dec. 1918."

This maybe what happened to your great grans-uncle.
    Thanks for that tip, that could well be what happened to him. I wonder if there is a way to find out who died in this explosion.

Credits
    Savings
    Now I have checked an articell in New York Times about the accident, and my great grand uncle was not mentioned as one of the wounded or dead.

Credits
    Savings

Ole M. Thorsen

I was hoping someone at this forum could help me to locate my great grand uncle who fought in WW1 in France for America. I have some documents that tells me where he served but I have not found him in any lists on ancestry.com or other places. I was hoping to find out when he died, or some actualy proof of his whereabouts in the American army/marine.

His names was Ole M. Thorsų (Thorsen) born July 1893 in Kristiansund, Norway.

I find his name on a WW1 draft card from Brooklyn City.

Then I have a document about war insurance from American army with his name on it. dated July 17. 1919. Upton N.Y

I also find his name on a card from "America hospital bed fund association"

Then I have a document stating that he did serve six months in the I.W.T Troops trans. corps. 12. grand division. for cpl. Ole M. Thorsen. Signed by Chas. H. Croney. February 28th. 1919.

Last I have a document signed by John J. Pershing commander in chief, thanking his fellow soldiers. dated February 28th. 1919.

Does this make any sense to anyone? I can show you the documents if that“s needed.

Credits
    Savings
    I did upload the document signed by Chas Croney.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scan 19.jpg‎
Views:	250
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	24007  

Thread Information