College Sophomore 2nd Semester
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy College Sophomore 2nd Semester

I'm scared that my options are being more narrowed down as time goes by. I want to become a Marine Officer after I finish my 4 year degree in college. But I worried about what options I have now? Would I still be able to apply for platoon leader class? Or would I have to enlist first and try to get commissioned there?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BannedKey View Post
    I'm scared that my options are being more narrowed down as time goes by. I want to become a Marine Officer after I finish my 4 year degree in college. But I worried about what options I have now? Would I still be able to apply for platoon leader class? Or would I have to enlist first and try to get commissioned there?

Have you talked to an OSO yet? If not, make an appointment and go speak to one face-to-face and learn your officer options. You might be a little late for a PLC application, but not for OCS.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    PLC is for sophmores and juniors. Now, it's harder to get commissioned as a college graduate. You might want to get a move on for PLC

Go talk to an OSO as soon as possible. They can best tell you your options, because only he or she knows the timelines, board dates, current competition, available slots, etc. for your geographic location.

If you aren't in time for PLC, don't fret it. You have 2+ years to make yourself a stellar candidate for OCC once you graduate. Keep your GPA as high as possible, make a 300 PFT & CFT your goal, and flesh out your resume if you're not involved in anything outside of schoolwork (volunteering, team sports, work experience, etc.). OCC has indeed been very competitive, but with a 2 year prep time there's no reason you couldn't be a complete PT stud and top-notch applicant by the time you graduate.

Also, I'd contact NROTC about their Marine Option program. I don't know at all when NROTC cuts off eligibility to join the program, but you might still be able to commission that way if there's a unit somewhere near your college.

The short answer? Start calling people today, namely the OSO and any NROTC unit nearest you. Then go to the gym. Heh.

Credits
    Savings
    Okay one last question. I have a GPA of 2.9 and I have a Fitness score of 268. Do I have a chance of making it into ocs?

That's not very competitive at all. A lot of the candidates I've known or heard of getting selected lately are between 290-300 PFT and high 3.X GPAs. But you have two years to bring up your academics and to work on your PFT. There isn't any reason why you couldn't hit a 300 PFT in that timeframe and also bring up your cumulative average.

Credits
    Savings
    Alright I have to bring down my 3 mile.

And thank you. I'll reply if I have anymore questions.

Thread Information