Woodpecker Damage
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Woodpecker Damage

I'm looking for some help, or suggestions for a small problem I have with a woodpecker digging at my house. Seems I have a woodpecker that is either looking to nest, or searching for bugs, and in the process keeps digging into my house. I think it is just one bird. He/she/it is digging into the wood near my roof, the soffit/fascia board. I have read online that woodpeckers are a federally protected migratory species, and there is a 500 dollar fine for killing one. So, that is my last choice, but I am running out of options and patience.

My wife is home pregnant and when I come home each day she's screaming at me about birds digging in our house. Each time I go out to look, I find another hole, Which I proceed to fill in with that expanding insulating foam. But then the little bastard finds another spot and start digging again.

I'd love to set up a little hide and take the bastard out with my .308 or my .22LR -- but the neighbors might notice. So, I'm thinking about getting BB/Pelet gun and "discouraging" it from digging at my house. But the aforementioned $500 fine has me thinking.

Any idea's Leatherneck?

Here is a link, there seems to be a spray that may deter them.... other than that $500.00 or $5000.00 in repairs http://www.thewildlifeporch.com/2010...rom-your-house

Last edited by temarti; 12-27-11 at 10:54 AM. Reason: forgot the link

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Bird trap....

Cat that can jump really high.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Hang reflective mirror tape or pie pans from the soffit....

Get a plastic owl and put on the gutter or roof....

Shoot em'

You just got spammed,guess they will go after MODS also even when you are online.

I have always had good luck with a couple suet feeders,we have Pileated Woodpeckers .

use to have troubles with a woodpecker then found girls so left the knot holes alone
    thy this site
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2020946_rid-woodpecker.html

Just get a roll of 6 or 8 inch metal either tin or allum, and tack it in the area that they are getting in to.after you get throuhh paint it,
    We used to havve that problem and that solved it.
    Good luck

Last edited by thewookie; 12-27-11 at 12:03 PM.

*** I didn't mean to edit your last post, Ed. All these new squad leader powers I have and I didn't realize I hit "edit" instead of "quote" --> so here is my response:

I might try that. And some other good ideas here so far. But the problem is, it has dig through two different spots or each end of that part of the house/roof. Once I sealed up one end, it moved to the other end. So, If I were to use tin or allum based on that -- a good portion of my house would look like the space shuttle

I think I'm going to buy a pellet/BB gun and just "scare" it, you know with some warning shots -- right near it's head

But, being a non-violent person, I'm open to other methods.....

I guess my 50cal. is out of the question,lol, Semper Fidelis.

[QUOTE=thewookie;828673
    I think I'm going to buy a pellet/BB gun and just "scare" it, you know with some warning shots -- right near it's head

But, being a non-violent person, I'm open to other methods.....[/QUOTE]

Well if your going to get desperate try a little C-4

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wood peckers don't just randomly peck holes in chit. You got bugs my friend. That little birdie is doing you a favor by eating the termites that are eating your house. Get rid of the termites and the bird will go away.

I was just texting back and forth with the guy I went to bootcamp with on the buddy program, and he said when he was a kid his step-father took one out with his .22.

I think I might need to confirm my coldbore zero one time before I consider that route.

I'm more comfortable with a BB/pelet gun (to scare it, of course) but I know my .22 would work nice, and spare me from buying bb/pelet gun.

The bird is fearless. Yesterday I had the day off so I was home doing yard-work, and I heard him digging on the house. So, I went over to the new spot he's at and started yelling at it. It didn't look too concerned with me and only flew away a few feet to another small tree I have in my yard. So, of course being the stubborn Jarhead I am I followed after it, yelling the whole time (my neighbors think I'm nutz anyway) but the bird just looked at me for a good second or two and then flew away. only to return later.

Needless to say, I don't think this bird is going to learn the easy way.

So, like my DI's always said -- with pain comes improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinbo View Post
    Wood peckers don't just randomly peck holes in chit. You got bugs my friend. That little birdie is doing you a favor by eating the termites that are eating your house. Get rid of the termites and the bird will go away.
    True. But I have read online today that it might not be limited to that. But that was the first thing the guy at the local hardware store said: bugs. That's okay, I'll deal with the bird, then the bugs.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    So if your car has a flat tire you'll start by changing the oil. I get it .

You play your cards aweful close to your chest. Didn't know you had a wife in a family way. Congrats on that!

Thread Information