Squad bays
Create Post

Thread: Squad bays

Squad bays

Kinda a random question but outside of boot camp and SOI is there any squad bays left in the Marine corps?

I heard they were still around in the 90's ... But they are no longer around for garrison. Unless you go to CAX or something.

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    I heard they were still around in the 90's ... But they are no longer around for garrison. Unless you go to CAX or something.
    I was at Quantico in 86. I was PCS to TBS, but in the summer I went to OCS for 3 months for the summer augmentation program. Our barracks at OCS, was an old horse stable originally built in the 1920's. At Camp Hansen in 87, I was with 3rd Med, and in 90's I was at MCAS's Tustin/Futenma with 361. They all had squad bays (to a point), but none were open, we had a half wall that separated us from the guy in the next room. Squad bays on the Rock were mainly for rotating units. The lower MEF in P.I. also had squad bays.

When we went on CAX to 29 Stumps, we lived in A-Frames. Around the early 90's, the Corps was switching over to more normal type barrack's. They even had W.M.'s living in the same barracks as male Marines.

I'm sure there are some still around, but I doubt most of them are getting much use. We had them in Greece in 95, but then as I was leaving he Navy was building new barracks. I saw/used them on Quantico a few times when I was TAD there in the late 90's -- I know they are/were all over Weapons Training Battalion.

Not an answer to your question but I remember living in a squad bay my first permanent duty station mainside, Camp LeJeune. Our cubicles were made out of wall lockers and we had radiators against the walls for heat. Snowed one winter; we went outside to make our snowballs but came back inside to throw them at somebody (lots of puddles to swab up afterwards). Of course, can't forget the community TV room and it's brown leather furniture...fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Not an answer to your question but I remember living in a squad bay my first permanent duty station mainside, Camp LeJeune. Our cubicles were made out of wall lockers and we had radiators against the walls for heat. Snowed one winter; we went outside to make our snowballs but came back inside to throw them at somebody (lots of puddles to swab up afterwards). Of course, can't forget the community TV room and it's brown leather furniture...fun!
    I remember that well,Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MCAS Beaufort, SC tore down all the squad bays. There are now 2 story 2 man "Dorms".

Now a days they call them barracks.

29 palms, in 2006 and 2008, I stayed in the squadbays that were located on the comm school side of base.

Thread Information