When would I find out my PDS?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When would I find out my PDS?

My wife is nagging me about trying to find housing at our Permanent Duty Station before I am out of MOS school. I told her that I will not know this until I finish the school.

I signed a Comm/Electrician contract and ship 20120117 for SD. Roughly at what point during MOS school do you find out your PDS? At the very end? Week left?

She just really wants to know so she can start looking at base housing or even places to rent around the area. I will also have to worry about flying back home to help her pack and all too.

Thanks for your help.

Why don't you try explaining to your wife that you need to take it one step at a time and make it through boot camp first......then MCT, and then your MOS school.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Why don't you try explaining to your wife that you need to take it one step at a time and make it through boot camp first......then MCT, and then your MOS school.
    HAHA, you don't know how many times I have told her that. She is stubborn headed and impatient.

Hopefully you'll make it through boot camp, MCT, and your MOS school....and being the wife of a Marine is not an easy job.....she needs to learn now to be patient.
    Best answer I can think of to tell her is that when you find out then you'll let her know. And who knows, your first duty station could be an unaccompanied tour overseas.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You'll find out duty stations a few weeks before your school's over. What I'd have your wife do is, once you find out, fly out to where ever and try to find a place. You'll also have 10 days or so between school and when you have to check in, so finding a place shouldn't be that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxzero View Post
    You'll find out duty stations a few weeks before your school's over. What I'd have your wife do is, once you find out, fly out to where ever and try to find a place. You'll also have 10 days or so between school and when you have to check in, so finding a place shouldn't be that difficult.
    Thanks. Unfortunately she wouldn't be able to fly out when I find out because we have a daughter together, so doing that with a rambunctious 2 year old would be quite difficult.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Something else your wife should be aware of: If you are assigned base housing, that is just it - you are ASSIGNED base housing. It's all determined from your rank and number of dependents. She doesn't get to shop and pick.

Off-base housing you can shop for, and of course, should.

But as Softball stated, your first priorities must be getting through boot camp, MCT, and MOS school.

Show her this thread.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I got some bad news for you. Comm/electrician school is located at 29palms. You will be there for about a year. Your wife will be able to look into places out there. It's like polishing a turd, no matter what, she will not like it out there. If you think she's nagging you now, wait til you get to "HELL ON EARTH."

Quote Originally Posted by lamanognr86 View Post
    I got some bad news for you. Comm/electrician school is located at 29palms. You will be there for about a year. Your wife will be able to look into places out there. It's like polishing a turd, no matter what, she will not like it out there. If you think she's nagging you now, wait til you get to "HELL ON EARTH."
    From the only place I have found length of MOS schools, it showed 3 comm schools (2 at 29 Palms and 1 at Sheppard AFB) both less than 50 days. Then 2 electrician schools at Camp Lejeune one about 50 days and the other about 110 days.

But if she had to come with, which I would prefer her not to so I could focus on the schooling, she wouldn't mind it since it would probably be better than Illinois.

If you were to go to 29 Palms, there's nothing for her to do there, it's the desert. It would only make her very miserable not only towards you but probably towards the Marine Corps also.
    She would be better of staying in Illinois until your MOS school is done with.

Wow...you are not even a Marine yet and already struggling to keep momma happy. Good luck and I am VERY happy I'm not in your shoes. Being a Marine is a tough enough job as it is; having to babysit a spouse only needlessly complicates things (and possibly for your command as well). Your wife obviously has a lot to learn about being a dependent and the sooner she learns the better for her AND you. Just reading your post I get the impression she is the one wearing the combat boots in your family. IF you ever put the EGA on your uniform, that situation needs to change. The USMC does not revolve around hers or your needs.

FYI there is almost always a waiting list for base housing (we waited 13 months to move into base housing aboard Camp Pendleton) and you cannot apply till you report for duty. In the meantime, you'll have to rent off base.

She is a pain in my ass and never believes me when I tell her things. She always has to fin out on her own. Frankly is passes me off and just causes arguments between us. I can wait to see what she acts like when I have to be the one approving every transaction she makes since it is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Affe View Post
    I can wait to see what she acts like when I have to be the one approving every transaction she makes since it is my money.
    Sorry, have the impression she will not have any problems spending what little money you'll make. Does she realize it's not uncommon for E-1/E-2's with multiple dependents to be on food stamps?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    She is a pain in my ass and never believes me when I tell her things. She always has to fin out on her own. Frankly is passes me off and just causes arguments between us. I can wait to see what she acts like when I have to be the one approving every transaction she makes since it is my money.
    You two need to come to a consensous and aggreement very soon....

From the above post this can definitely hurt your marriage while in the Marine Corps.

There are many days in Marine Corps life that the spouse will be running the household and holding the homefront down...

Sounds like a major command problem brewing and waiting to happen.

You both need to be on the same boat....or one needs to go overboard.

Good luck...sounds like you BOTH will definitely need it!

Affe,

You are cracking me up, but it's a sad thing. Remember: It isn't your money or her money. Start saying "our money."

Sounds like you are having some rough sailing. Don't worry, though. Things improve over time ...or, perhaps people finally learn to settle into their roles.

Does your wife have family in Illinois? It can be very nice having babysitters you trust nearby (family & in-laws).

Thread Information