Vision question for wannabe
Create Post

Vision question for wannabe

I'm a wannabe that plans on joining the Delayed Entree Program in June, I've talked to a recruiter for about a year now and have worked out and attended a few of the pool functions that I have been able to go to (I work and am still in high school). Anyway, a few days ago I had an eye appointment and my eyesight got a little worse (I've wore contacts since the 4th grade) and my eye doctor was talking to me about my future and what not and I mentioned wanting to join the Marine Corps. My eye doctor then gave me some interesting information, apparently -6.00 is the cutoff for the vision requirements of the military (according to her, who apparently used to work at an Air Force base). I just received a prescription for -8.50 / -7.50 to correct my vision to 20/20.

Anyway, I shot my recruiter a text about it since we had previously talked about my vision and he said he doubted it would be an issue at all. He told me he was 95% sure that my vision wouldn't be a problem and he is pretty certain the cutoff is -12.00.

I'm not trying to doubt my recruiter or anything but I just wanted to ask for further clarification if my vision will be an issue. Both my eyes are correctable to 20/20 and -8.50 (one eye) / -7.50 (other eye) is the number written on my prescription so I was wondering if any other Marines or anyone knowledgeable in this area would lend a third opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Hi Jon---this might belong in Ask A Marine, I don't know, but if it does, a mod will move it, no worries.

Why don't you PM a recruiter who's on here but he doesn't come in here all the time. He will have definitive info whereas all we would have would be opinions, which would do you no good

PM afraziaaaa A very helpful person, and a recruiter--just who you need

Good luck
    I was originally going to post in that section but I guess I'm not in correct group to have that capability and I'll be sure to shoot him a PM, thanks.

USMC1963, Marine Family members can't post in the Ask A Marine forum.

As already suggested....PM afraziaaaa.

Should be waiverable as long as it's correctable to 20/20.

Thread Information