Tattoo question
Create Post

Thread: Tattoo question

Tattoo question

Hello, New Marine getting ready to go to MOS school early January.

My question is with the new Policy if I am able to get a tattoo on my inner forearm I would want it to go from about an inch or two from the pocket of my elbow to around same from my wrist. From what I have read is that as long as it can be covered by a 5 inch circle or a closed fist it will be okay but how strict is this enforced? Is it frowned upon? and finally do I have to get permission before I get the tattoo?

The tattoo in question would say As Aspera Per Astra

Any input is greatly appreciated

PFC Chapman

Last edited by ChrisJohn; 12-25-11 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Misspelled Question in title

Dude do not get a tattoo while your in MOS or anything before. Instructors tend to be way more stingy about those kind of things and probably will view it as a threat to their power if little PFC just goes off and does his own dumb ass thing. Its a best bet to wait until you hit the fleet and talk to your actually NCOIC or SNCOIC, they will be more lenient with you and help you navigate through the process.

I honestly wouldn't give a **** and I am sure I am not alone, but all it takes is one higher ranked Marine to **** you. You just want to get the hell through MOS as quick and possible with out any problems, not risk it and getting stuck there any longer.

You should be able to wait a while to get this tattoo.

Hey Boot what is the hurry for the tat, I would wait if I was you,Semper Fidelis.

I can only guess that that is latin for something. If you were trying for "To the stars through difficulty" it would read "Ad astra per aspera." Definitely wait to get the tat, and make absolute sure you get the phrasing correct, as the only thing worse than poor latin phrasing is permanent poor latin phrasing proudly displayed on your person.....carry on.

What you speak latin or something crazy like it?

Credits
    Savings
    The best advice seems consistent
    NO TAT
    Wait -there is plenty of time later
    Perhaps you can get one at a duty station

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    What you speak latin or something crazy like it?
    A bit, as we read the Bible in latin as kids in our home, but that was eons ago. I just recognized the words he was using and realized they were in the wrong order....wouldn't have made much sense his way....that saying is used on many family crests and as a motto for a government or two. My favorite latin phrase is "Semper Ubi Sub Ubi." Always wear underwear....

as long as he didnt go to Italy he should be all right then.

I say wait too (you don't want to fvck this up by being in such a rush...it's too permanent).

My personal policy on tatts is they should be covered up. That's because I do not want to resemble a gangsta or a member of the Hell's Angels. I have an EGA but it is high up on my shoulder and only visible if I take my shirt off; so, I can display it anytime I choose to but only to people I want to see it and not the general public...it is private to me.

Smile Tatoo

Did not get Mine Till I was fourty

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    as long as he didnt go to Italy he should be all right then.
    Probably a safe bet....just don't let His Holiness the Pope see it....or Calligula.....lol

I also recommend waiting until you get to your duty station, then talking this over with your platoon leader after you've been there just a bit (no one likes a Noobie).

Quote Originally Posted by recon532002 View Post
    Did not get Mine Till I was fourty
    LOL - Kinda late to be impressing the ladies, don't ya think?

I say get it, I had two tats before I went to my MOS school. But then again that was 12 years ago and the Marines have since become very gay when it comes to ink.

Also be cautious if you have ANY... even a small, tiny desire to ever become an Officer. The OCS recruiter where I'm at has a NO tattoo policy. You'll get put on the bottom of the list.

Thread Information