Army Officer to Marine Corps Officer
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Army Officer to Marine Corps Officer

I recently resigned my commission with the Army at the rank of 1LT in order to fix an active duty injury and transfer services. I intend to request an aviation contract in the coming year. Does anyone know how long it takes to process a commissioning packet and what happens with officers that transfer to the Corps? Thanks Marines.

Dana Daly
    Former 1LT, TC
    3D U.S. IN Regiment

Dana Daly -

Nice to meet you, I am Chesty Fuller; but I was only an enlisted man -- so somebody more qualified than me will be along shortly to help you.

PLEASE FILL OUT MORE OF YOUR PROFILE SIR SO WE KNOW WHO WE ARE TALKING TO AND TRYING TO HELP. WELCOME ABOARD SIR. OH WHAT's YOUR INJURY SIR?

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Doc, you can find more on profile now and my injury is a knee injury. It occurred two weeks into my Army commission and has taken until now to have an orthopedist willing to help fix it.

Chesty Fuller. And I thought I had a salty name.

Its good to meet you both. I look forward to joining you soon.

Dana Daly
    Former 1LT, TC
    3D U.S. IN Regiment

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by LTDaly View Post
    I recently resigned my commission with the Army at the rank of 1LT in order to fix an active duty injury and transfer services. I intend to request an aviation contract in the coming year. Does anyone know how long it takes to process a commissioning packet and what happens with officers that transfer to the Corps? Thanks Marines.

Dana Daly
    Former 1LT, TC
    3D U.S. IN Regiment
    Dana I can't help you with the timeline question but I do know something about aviation. I'll assume you're about 26. Cut off age is 27 for those entering training but being prior service you may qualify for a 2 year waiver. The big question is your injury and it's physical ramifications. Most likely you'll need to apply for a medical waiver.

Getting an air contract today isn't all that easy. Mainly due to budgets cutbacks and you're competing against younger candidates who don't have any major physical ailments. If you're successful you're looking at about 36-40 months of training plus an 8 year commitment for fixed wing.

No matter what I wish you all the best.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Dana I can't help you with the timeline question but I do know something about aviation. I'll assume you're about 26. Cut off age is 27 for those entering training but being prior service you may qualify for a 2 year waiver. The big question is your injury and it's physical ramifications. Most likely you'll need to apply for a medical waiver.

Getting an air contract today isn't all that easy. Mainly due to budgets cutbacks and you're competing against younger candidates who don't have any major physical ailments. If you're successful you're looking at about 36-40 months of training plus an 8 year commitment for fixed wing.

No matter what I wish you all the best.
    USNAviator, sir, I am 27 but in reading regulations in recent MARADMINs MC contracts have an age waiver for up to three years of time in service, which is what I completed. So my "contract age" will be 24. If I get the contract, medical waiver permitted, either aviation or ground, I will retire as a Marine. Thank you for your encouragement sir. I'll keep it in mind every day.

Credits
    Savings
    USNAviator, sir, I am 27 but in reading regulations in recent MARADMINs MC contracts have an age waiver for up to three years of time in service, which is what I completed. So my "contract age" will be 24. If I get the contract, medical waiver permitted, either aviation or ground, I will retire as a Marine. Thank you for your encouragement sir. I'll keep it in mind every day.

Outstanding Dana. And as a native Virginian always happy to hear from a member of the Keydets.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One of the lads in my boot camp platoon had been a prior service army lieutenant. The way folks are que ing up and waiting a full year to get into the Marines right now it seems you will be battling up hill on a bum knee.

I'm too lazy to look up the reprecussions of resigning a commision.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinbo View Post
    One of the lads in my boot camp platoon had been a prior service army lieutenant. The way folks are que ing up and waiting a full year to get into the Marines right now it seems you will be battling up hill on a bum knee.

I'm too lazy to look up the reprecussions of resigning a commision.
    Well I am willing to commit to the wait. I am heading to primary flight school in two weeks and I am applying to Civil Air Patrol and for an associate membership in the Marine Corps League. So bring it on, I'm not backing down.

Semper Fi!

Well I am willing to commit to the wait. I am heading to primary flight school in two weeks and I am applying to Civil Air Patrol and for an associate membership in the Marine Corps League. So bring it on, I'm not backing down.

Semper Fi!
    Give your local Marine OSO a call. You will have to put in a package and be selected for OCS just like the rest of the college grads. If you are selected (and I am sure you will be, will likely just depend on medical clearance) you will usually go to the next OCC. There are three per year. It really depends on how that particular OSO's quota is looking for the year. Best information can be gained from them.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Give your local Marine OSO a call. You will have to put in a package and be selected for OCS just like the rest of the college grads. If you are selected (and I am sure you will be, will likely just depend on medical clearance) you will usually go to the next OCC. There are three per year. It really depends on how that particular OSO's quota is looking for the year. Best information can be gained from them.
    Thanks for the advice Staff Sergeant.

Inter-service transfers are possible, but resigning your commission changes that. I worked at an OSO for a little while and we never worked with any such situation. I'd advise, like Staff Sergeant suggested, that you talk to an OSO. Understand that you've got a long road ahead of you. Even if you retain your rank and are able to skip OCS, you will still have to do TBS and then come down to Pensacola for IFS and API before flight school starts. You could easily be a Captain by the time that is all completed.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    Inter-service transfers are possible, but resigning your commission changes that. I worked at an OSO for a little while and we never worked with any such situation. I'd advise, like Staff Sergeant suggested, that you talk to an OSO. Understand that you've got a long road ahead of you. Even if you retain your rank and are able to skip OCS, you will still have to do TBS and then come down to Pensacola for IFS and API before flight school starts. You could easily be a Captain by the time that is all completed.
    In the Army, in order to be released from active duty, you need to resign your commission but you enter the reserves. Currently I'm on Individual Ready Reserve status, still carrying a CAC. I'll get in touch with an OSO this week but is it similar for an inter-service transfer since I'm an IRR officer and the Army will have to release me from their ranks to join the Corps? Thanks for the info by the way. I didn't know it was even possible to skip OCS. I did some research after your previous message and found that you can skip IFS if you have a private pilot's license, which is what I'll be starting on next week with a recently released from active duty Naval Aviator. Get ahead and stay ahead. Thanks again.

If you really want the flight time that's great. However, I'd honestly suggest that you don't go for your PPL before IFS. IFS is not difficult, nor is it time-consuming. It is only a 4-5 week course; 2 weeks for ground school, 2 weeks of flying, and 1 week to "check-in." You will go through a lot of academic work in a short amount of time and it is a good precursor to API and beyond. Additionally, it is only 13 hours or so of flight time, which is ideal because you won't be developing any "bad" habits. (Don't forget that the military has a different way of doing things.)
    I don't want to sway you from doing something you want; but I also think you should know that IFS isn't any big hurdle that you should focus on skipping.

--Especially considering it will cost in upwards of $5k to get a PPL and IFS is paid for by the Marine Corps. Additionally, you're going to have a lot of stuff you will need to do for the OSO in all likelihood.
    Again, if you want it, go for it. Just be sure that your motivation isn't solely to skip IFS.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    If you really want the flight time that's great. However, I'd honestly suggest that you don't go for your PPL before IFS. IFS is not difficult, nor is it time-consuming. It is only a 4-5 week course; 2 weeks for ground school, 2 weeks of flying, and 1 week to "check-in." You will go through a lot of academic work in a short amount of time and it is a good precursor to API and beyond. Additionally, it is only 13 hours or so of flight time, which is ideal because you won't be developing any "bad" habits. (Don't forget that the military has a different way of doing things.)
    I don't want to sway you from doing something you want; but I also think you should know that IFS isn't any big hurdle that you should focus on skipping.

--Especially considering it will cost in upwards of $5k to get a PPL and IFS is paid for by the Marine Corps. Additionally, you're going to have a lot of stuff you will need to do for the OSO in all likelihood.
    Again, if you want it, go for it. Just be sure that your motivation isn't solely to skip IFS

Good points Lt. I picked up my ticket prior to entering training. Back in '77 it ran close to $1200. Looking back on it I would not do it again. While I did bypass IFS, the Navy taught me how to fly their way so I had to undo a few "bad habits " I had learned

Thread Information