Workouts
Create Post

Thread: Workouts

Workouts

I was wondering if its normal to not want to work out but do it anyway or do most people in the Corps or soon to be in the Corps like working out and look forward to their next work out?

Credits
    Savings
    I am no Marine. I am a poolee just like you, but I'll tell you something our Commanding Officer told my RS at a pool function one day. He said that in bootcamp there are 3 types of people the ones who don't make it, the ones who only do enough to get by, and the ones who try to go above and beyond. He told us we wanted to be the ones that go above and beyond because when you become a Marine you don't want to just get by. I myself think that all you need is a little motivation man.

We had another Pool function sort of thing and it went much better for me so I am more confident. I dont look forward to working out but when i get there i work my arse off

You should probably keep a journal and set goal in it, write every workout you do and date everything so you can see improvements... The thought of writing down my best time or a new PR gives me enough extra juice to keep pushing hard

Okay I will do that. Do you think it would be better to do the workouts that we do at Poolee functions like Bear crawls and crab walks and all that stuff or work in a gym with equipment? or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader0451 View Post
    You should probably keep a journal and set goal in it, write every workout you do and date everything so you can see improvements... The thought of writing down my best time or a new PR gives me enough extra juice to keep pushing hard

I'd suggest doing a bit of both. I imagine you only do the poolee functions about once a week? In my opinion that's simply just not enough. I got lucky, the two recruiters at my office workout at an Xsport gym in town and everyone's welcome to join them. Myself and one other poolee meet up with them every morning at 7 and we do cross fit routines mixed with some more function based workouts. For instance we'll do a cross fit workout of the day and then go down to the basketball courts and do a buddy bear crawl race down the court and back. I have found that system to help me incredibly.

I Love Crossfit

Crossfit is awesome if that is the only workout plan you will be doing. Personally I dont xfit anymore because they almost always have a leg workout in them, and with my running schedule they get enough of a workout... I still incorporate xfit style wods just no legs in them.

If I were you I would work on bringing my PFT scores up via: Stew Smith's Boot Camp Theory. And then when your scores are where you want them to be, start expanding into other areas of physical fitness.

-Be sure to stretch and rest less!

Eric, I've been where you are: Not wanting to work out but doing it anyway. Up until a few months ago, all I did was a few pull-ups everyday, some sit-ups, and occasionally a little running because I simply did NOT want to do anything else. A few months ago, I got dragged to the gym and absolutely hated it, but I knew I should go and bought a membership. Since I had the membership, I figured I should use it, and started to go more often. After about a month I started to see improvements. These improvements really got me motivated and I started to enjoy going.

Now I go to the gym 5 mornings a week and run in the evenings. I look forward to my workout everyday. It seems weird to me that I used to hate the idea of spending an hour a day to get stronger.

What I'd say to you is do the same two things I did:
    1. Pay for a gym membership. The thought of wasting money by not doing something that you're paying for is great motivation (especially if your as cheap/broke as me)
    2. Find a routine that works! Experiment with different things, find what tires you out but really makes you feel good. I guarantee that when you see yourself getting stronger, you'll enjoy it more.

"Don't Use Machines, Become One!"

Just do it!

Just got to do it brother, always do it one day at a time. Start slow and build up, I started one day a week and now workout HARD five days a week. You can do it if you set your mind to it!

Thank you guys for every advice. I have a gym membership now and I am going to go at least 3 times a week after my break in Florida (while in Florida I plan on running a lot). I will work out till I get tired. The gym I am going to has an assisted pull up bar so what i do is my max pull ups with no assistance. Then put a little assistance on and go as far as I can. I do this a few times. I run inside while it is really cold (like 20 degrees or lower). I will start doing bench presses and stuff like that for upper body along with some core work!
    I want to be a Marine...I WILL earn the title of United States Marine

Amen Brother!

Why only some core work? You're core is involved in every type of movement and exercise, having a weak core will only make things harder in the long run. Also mix in a run outside once in a while. Throw on some thermals and do a 5 miler, switch it up don't let your body get accustomed to doing the same thing over and over

Agreed, you should find a Cross Fit gym, but the big thing I'm always told is you better work on your running!

Run til you get tired then tell your brain to shut up and keep running, I recently did a half marathon even though the longest I had ever ran was a 10k. Needless to say I haven't stopped running even as it turns to winter. Thank god for Christmas brand new under armours to keep me warm

Thread Information