MCT at Camp Geiger - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

We thought so too

We'd thought he would have gotten some idea as well, but his SDI told him he'd get it here. So, hopefully we'll find out tomorrow. We did ask his Recruiter, and he said on an "open contract" like our son went in on, there's no telling.

Good thing we got here early, as we got our pass through Tuesday, and we'll avoid the crowd tomorrow (if there is one). We found the building's we needed to go to, so we know where to be tomorrow p.m., then Wednesday a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    He should've been told during boot camp what the general MOS that he's going into is. In MCT he will be told where he's going next, however this information could be incorrect.. but he will have a general knowledge about it.

Being as it's during this timeframe, he will probably be VERY VERY cold.. so don't expect too many letters if any, as most don't write. Letters are always welcome though.

Good luck to you and your son,

LCpl Yonkers

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your Son will B-Fine He left Home a Boy and Will come Home a Man that will make both His Mother and You His PaPa very Proud.GoodLuck 2 Him and Thank You for Raising a YoungBuck Who has The Gonads to Do what He is doing.GodBless Him and Both of You.Semper Fidelis

Credits
    Savings
    Main reason we came on down, is because of his "open contract" and not knowing his MOS or PDS, there was no telling when we'd see him again (but for Skype). He's learned much though, and has done, and is doing much more than I did at his age, and even by the time I hit 30.

Self-discipline, self- respect, testing (he'd "freeze" on test's in high school), ability to sort out the chaos to complete what his DI's and MCT has required and more than likely, much more. And more to come, I'm sure! I, as his Dad, am not only proud he's a Marine, I'm proud/happy that he's found his "place" in his life. something I never was able to do.

Credits
    Savings
    We were able to spend a lot of time with Pvt. Combs today. The weather though, wasn’t co-operative, and was wet all day. Tomorrow is supposed to be better, so we hope for picture taking weather. Pvt. Combs and I played pool for awhile and talked, He’s gotten interested in being a Drill Instructor, and also stopped to talk to a Sgt. about the Wing’s for paratrooper. He told Pvt. Combs to finish his MOS training, then ask for that particular training.

His MOS school is in Camp Johnson, south of Camp Lejeune , and he’ll be there to learn to be an “Warehouse Clerk” (not the most "important" job we know as compared to other's) for 39 day’s. But, with an "open contract"... After that, where his PDS will be, is yet to be known. He knows he has a lot of work to do to further his rank, and knew it going in. But he’s very much enjoying what he’s doing, and has done, Parris Island, MCT, he’s really liked it. We talked a bit about “unbecoming” conduct, and he knows the tight path he is on, and knows he needs, he wants to “watch” how he conducts himself in order to further himself in the Corps.

He’s learned much from the Corps so far, and we’re looking forward to see how much he can “give” the Corps in the future.

Credits
    Savings
    the above somehow went 2x. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by jclarke View Post

His MOS school is in Camp Johnson, south of Camp Lejeune , and he’ll be there to learn to be an “Warehouse Clerk” (not the most "important" job we know as compared to other's) for 39 day’s.

EVERY job in the Marine Corps is IMPORTANT!!!

WHAT IS WRONG BEING A WARE HOUSE CLERK? supplies not important?

THE GRUNTS AND EVERY OTHER SECTION IN THE CORPS WOULD BE IN TROUBLE WITHOUT ANY SUPPLIES

AS LISA SAYS EVERY JOB IS IMPORTANT

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    WHAT IS WRONG BEING A WARE HOUSE CLERK? supplies not important?

THE GRUNTS AND EVERY OTHER SECTION IN THE CORPS WOULD BE IN TROUBLE WITHOUT ANY SUPPLIES

AS LISA SAYS EVERY JOB IS IMPORTANT

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF
    I agree 100%. I have been in the field when supply couldn't get into us. It's a B**ch to run out of food, especially ammo when you need it. Just saying.

Credits
    Savings
    I asked a Sgt. at MCT about that, this is what he told me, word-for-word; the logistical/supply side of war is not only the most challenging to plan for, but also vital to victory. Anyone who designs a campaign without thinking of the supply side is an amateur. These will be many important skills he will develop, and the good thing is that there are civilian job applications to this MOS.

And Pvt. Combs has been in the "habit", or else by my example, that "there is a place for everything, and everything in its place". He always knows where any of his gear is, as I have for decade's.

As for the word "important" on my earlier post, I more or less meant "less glamorous" as opposed to maneuvering Drone's, the unmanned helicopter I read about. And I was told as ya'll have told me, without supplies, not much can be accomplished (Battle of the Bulge comes to mind). When our men were without for so long because of weather.

Credits
    Savings
    Huh? I edited something on my above post. It's a Navy commander (who's been friend's of ours, well, since Pvt. Combs was in the 5th grade with his kid's) who told me what I had said a Sgt. told me. Wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Credits
    Savings
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/3051.htm

The above URL describe's our Marine's MOS. I've done "warehouse work" in the past for several large companies, but not on a scale like this. I hope he shows an aptitude for machinery, driving forklift's, etc. are going to be part of it.

My son is also a 3051 and wouldn't want it any other way. He is with 3rd MSOB and has MANY opportunities for training outside his MOS. Alot will depend on what he makes of it.

Supply school is pretty short, if he gets picked-up quickly. You should know his PDS near the end of school. If you want to visit during MOS school, wait until he can go off base which if I remember correctly, is about halfway through. There is not much to do at Camp Johnson and he will be able to relax more.

Credits
    Savings
    Exactly what is the process of a single Marine (a Pvt.) in Camp Johnson and the MOS. I'm wondering about food, lodging, liberty and how he handles his finances. He's 18, just got a tat (is looking to get another. And those aren't as inexpensive as they were in the 70's when I got my 2). We have access to his account, and are trying to get him to rein in his spending.

Since he's just beginning class this past Monday, what is it he'll be having to do, and to keep an eye out for and on? His Mom & I are "prepared" for wherever he'll be sent to after, we just hope there'll be enough time to drive down and see him before he goes. But, we know, that may not happen.

Will he be going to MCT? If so, MCT is usually around 17 days long and about 95% of time they are in the field. After MCT is completed, they are shipped off to MOS school within 1-2 days. Lodging is all provided my the military unless he arrives earlier and doesn't want to stay on base. The chow hall is always open for breakfast, lunch and dinner at specific times (unless he's in the field). Once MCT starts there is no liberty and he will be unable to leave base (unless the rules have chaged). As far as his finances are concerned, he should have settled all that during the last few days in bootcamp.

MCT consists of PT, humps, night and day fire of several weapons (M203, SAWs, 50 Cals, grinade training etc.), night nav and patrols. It's actually very exciting!!!

I hope this had helped....let me know if there is anything I didn't answer.

Semper Fi

Sgt Morales

Quote Originally Posted by jclarke View Post
    Exactly what is the process of a single Marine (a Pvt.) in Camp Johnson and the MOS. I'm wondering about food, lodging, liberty and how he handles his finances. He's 18, just got a tat (is looking to get another. And those aren't as inexpensive as they were in the 70's when I got my 2). We have access to his account, and are trying to get him to rein in his spending.

Since he's just beginning class this past Monday, what is it he'll be having to do, and to keep an eye out for and on? His Mom & I are "prepared" for wherever he'll be sent to after, we just hope there'll be enough time to drive down and see him before he goes. But, we know, that may not happen.

Credits
    Savings
    He's already completed the MCT 1/10, then went to Camp Johnson, and was in "holding" until last week. He started his "Warehouse Clerk" MOS yesterday (which we understand is 15 day's, not counting weekend's/holiday's). We're sure he's going to be busy, just wondering what he's in for and what he'll be doing. We're not sure if the class is all encompassing as far as "warehouse" or if it's seperated in department's. We did send his laptop down, as he sounded like he was going to need it.

Thread Information