Medical discharge - opinions needed? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MissChar View Post
    Thank you. Yeah like I said some people never actually find out the cause of seizures and I hope he does. I will keep everyone updated, but I think the answer to my question is pretty finalized. Sounds like it's just a matter of when : (

Yes, please keep us posted and the best of luck to both of you!!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So far no new news. He told me that it could take 5-7 months for a discharge, but I guess there's no telling how long it will be. Does this sound about right? He was not told this by a professional, just by the other Marines in his platoon. If anyone has anything they can clarify on this it would be much appreciated.

That sounds about right. These things do take time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    That sounds about right. These things do take time.

Credits
    Savings
    Hi everyone, I'm sorry for not keeping in touch recently as it's all been waiting, but after a whole load of EKGs and MRIs we now know he is actually epileptic! Which was pretty shocking as I would have bet my life it wasn't epilepsy! And while no-one yet has said for sure it's a discharge, all the signs to point to it. So there have been various meetings with the VA and sorting out PEB paperwork and all that stuff. And don't quote me on it, but he said something about his packet being sent to DC to be approved. He was told before it could take 6-8 months, but now it's gone down to 3-6 months. Again sorry for not being active and thank you for the support.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MissChar View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm sorry for not keeping in touch recently as it's all been waiting, but after a whole load of EKGs and MRIs we now know he is actually epileptic! Which was pretty shocking as I would have bet my life it wasn't epilepsy! And while no-one yet has said for sure it's a discharge, all the signs to point to it. So there have been various meetings with the VA and sorting out PEB paperwork and all that stuff. And don't quote me on it, but he said something about his packet being sent to DC to be approved. He was told before it could take 6-8 months, but now it's gone down to 3-6 months. Again sorry for not being active and thank you for the support.

I'll bet he's glad he was honest with his recruiter and got a waiver. Now the Marine Corps "owns" his epilepsy. A lesson for those wanna-be Marines who are thinking of hiding medical problems.

I'm sorry for your fiance as he will very likely get a medical discharge, but at least he'll have some benefits out of the deal. As for the time, one thing you can always count on the US military for, and that it taking their sweet time with bureaucracy.

Good luck and please continue to keep us advised.

Yikes!! I feel so sorry that is was declared an Epileptic!! Just wish it could have been something else that could be "repaired" Please keep us informed and if need any questions answered will be glad to answer as much as I can since being Epileptic since 1965 and son, 39 yr. is an Epileptic also. It took about 3 or 4 mo. for me before all the paper work was done before I was discharged. Good luck and God bless!!

Ma'am, please keep us in the loop....and don't hesitate to ask for help.

What I Dont Understand Is Not To Sound Mean But Me Being A Corpsman Is Why They Grant Waiver To People Who Have Had Seizures In The Past The Bad Part Is You Dont Know When Its Going To Happen.
    Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    What I Dont Understand Is Not To Sound Mean But Me Being A Corpsman Is Why They Grant Waiver To People Who Have Had Seizures In The Past The Bad Part Is You Dont Know When Its Going To Happen.
    Semper Fi

Doc,
    Will agree with you!! One seizure almost mean another seizure somewhere down the road; may be days, months, or years!! I remember amoung the paperwork that the Dr. had from Daddy that I had a seizure when I was a baby due to a high fever, but pediatrician said it was nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by linda1945 View Post
    Doc,
    Will agree with you!! One seizure almost mean another seizure somewhere down the road; may be days, months, or years!! I remember amoung the paperwork that the Dr. had from Daddy that I had a seizure when I was a baby due to a high fever, but pediatrician said it was nothing to worry about.
    Often times if a person only has one, isolated seizure, especially if it can be related to a cause like a fever, then that is all they will ever have. One seizure certainly does not "almost mean another seizure somewhere down the road". Now, once a person has a second one, then the chances increase dramatically.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...99802123380704

"Patients with a single unprovoked seizure have about a 35 percent risk of recurrence in the subsequent five years."
    "Although only about one third of patients with a first unprovoked seizure will have further seizures within five years, about three quarters of those with two or three unprovoked seizures have further seizures within four years."

Btw, unprovoked means there wasn't something that directly caused it like a high fever or blow to the head.

10% of the entire population has at least one seizure at one point in their life, if what you are saying is true then epilepsy would be far more common. For the vast majority of those 10% the seizures were provoked. Currently, around 1% of the population is epileptic.

Also, Doc, that's why they waivered him. If his earlier seizure was febrile then the fact that he later developed epilepsy is really mostly a coincidence. Many children have a seizure caused by a fever when they are young.

And I know a little bit about this myself besides the info I just posted. I'm currently using the GI Bill for premed and I have a son that passed away from epilepsy four years ago.

Here are some more studies if you're interested: http://neuro.wustl.edu/patientcare/c...kedseizure.htm
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/585691_3

Oh, and to the OP. I don't mean to scare you, but I think you should be aware of something called SUDEP, sudden unexplained death in epilepsy. It is extremely rare. But it can happen. My son's doctors never told us about it. I'm not sure if knowing that it could happen before hand would have changed anything. But for someone that is an adult, I think it's definitely important that then know.
    http://www.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/sudep_epilepsy

I went back and read the OP, Doc, scratch my earlier comment about the waiver and replace it with this.

Also, Doc, that may be why they waivered him. If his earlier seizure was febrile then the fact that he later developed epilepsy is really mostly a coincidence. Many children have a seizure caused by a fever when they are young. However, it seems really odd to me that they would let him in after having the seizures as a teen. Especially, right now, it's not like they are hurting for recruits. I find it very hard to believe that he would have gotten in if he told them about the recent seizures.

Pitts Very Sorry About Your Son.godbless You And I Know God Is Craddling Him In His Arms.

Semper Fi

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We are All here to help !!!

Credits
    Savings
    Just to clarify he had a febrile seizure when he was young, but not sure if that had anything to do with the epilepsy. The other two he had were only suspected - no-one was around to see them. On one of the occasions he was found on the floor, but was awake and well by the time the emergency services arrived. Tests were done but nothing came up, so maybe just blood tests? I'm not sure. They are not convulsive seizures as I originally thought. I apologize for any misinformation.

He has been offered medication, but the medication is almost guaranteed to cause seizures if just one daily dose is missed. He has declined until he can get a second opinion.

@Pitts, I am so sorry for your terrible loss.

Thank you everyone for your help and support. It's reassuring to have information from people me that (obviously) know the system better than me! It means a lot

Thread Information