Medical discharge - opinions needed? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If he is discharged I would suggest that he request a certified truecopy of his entore Service Record Book and Service Treatment Records.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm assuming one of the reasons for that is so he can confirm it was an honorable discharge?

No, he will get a DD214 that will state his discharge. If his condition is service related and he tries to get VA compensation he will need that paperwork to help expedite his paperwork for benefits.

Credits
    Savings
    Hmm not sure that would be applicable as these seizures happened before he was in the service as well. And it wasn't like he was doing anything except standing around when the most recent one occurred. I know because he had just arrived at the barracks and I was talking to him over text at the time. He just stopped replying and I assumed he'd been called away for some reason.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MissChar View Post
    I'm assuming one of the reasons for that is so he can confirm it was an honorable discharge?
    Whatever the character of his discharge, it will be on his DD-214 form (the actual record of discharge). He will have a true copy of that. He should also ask for a copy of his service record book and medical record if he can get one. If not, he can get a free copy at a later date from the national archives.

If he needs military records for Veteran's Affairs benefits, VA will get the records they need from the archives if he doesn't have them. The law changed on that a few years back and the veteran no longer has to provide the records if they are available to the VA through other government sources. The VA has to do their own fetching now. However, if he already has copies of his SRB and med records, it will speed things up a little (depending on the VA regional office).

Credits
    Savings
    I take it they will tell him all this in due time? Also like I said, I really doubt he'd be eligible for compensation among other things. I don't understand exactly how the benefits system works if a Marine is medically discharged before they even reach MCT It's just such an unfortunate situation.

I work for the VA. If his medical condition was aggravated in any way by his service then he can try to get compensation.

Zulu is correct that the VA has an obligation to request the paperwok for the veteran. Ive seen meds records and srbs lost and/ or not able to be found. Having a copy guarantees that you will be able to send them.

Most likely he will get a honorable medical discharge. That's what happened to me! I had a grand mal seizure and received an honorable, service connected medical discharge. Saying it was a convulsive disorder. That was back in 1965. Yes, he is endangering others knowing that he has had a history of seizures. That recruiter should have turned him down because of having them seizures that close together. I hope it turns out that he can be helped and seizures got rid of!! Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    So he could try to get compensation - how likely is that regarding the situation and his track record? Seeing as he's only been out of boot camp less than two weeks?

I am quite surprised myself that he was waivered, considering he was 100 percent honest about it, which I believe he was.

Sorry for all the questions! And thank you again everyone for being so informative. It really helps me and his family to gain a better perspective of the whole situation.

I work more on the disability pension side of the va. If he gets discharged he will have out processing classes that will geive hom infrmation on va benefits, You can go to www.va.gov and look up information on compensation.

Yes, I would advise him to start working on getting his benefits started now. The sooner the better. I was in 21 mo. when I had my seizure.

Credits
    Savings
    Well, I guess it's possible. It just seems pretty far-fetched he'd be entitled to much after being a Marine for only two weeks. Then again I suppose by the time they discharge him he might've been in for a few months.

My step son is subject to grand mal seizures. Though he has not had one for quite some time, it is a truly terrifying thing to witness. Doctors could find no medical reason for them, either. He was given the usual batteries of tests and even kept in a hospital room for a week to be studied while he slept. He had wires attached to his head the whole time....still inconclusive as he did not suffer a seizure the whole time he was there. Not knowing what was causing them, we were told that whatever the trigger for them was, it may be something that he only encounters on rare occasions. He also dreamed of joining the Marines, like step daddy, but is unable to due to the seizures. I hope they can get to the cause of them for your fiance. Good luck and keep us all posted on this thread as you get news.

Hi Charlott Sorry To Hear About Your Boyfriend Take Lindas Advice And Try To Get The Paper Work Started,it Will Be A Medical Dishcharge Nothing Wrong With That. But Unfortunately With Seizures If You Had Some Episodes During Child Hood His Last Being At 17, He Could Have One Anytime, Good Luck To You 2

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you. Yeah like I said some people never actually find out the cause of seizures and I hope he does. I will keep everyone updated, but I think the answer to my question is pretty finalized. Sounds like it's just a matter of when : (

Thread Information