Enlisting with a GED
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Enlisting with a GED

Hello, Marines. I am new here and apologize if this has been asked before.

I quit going to school when I was 16 to go to work and help support my family after my dad left us. I got my GED immediately thereafter, and now I am interesting in becoming a Marine. I work full time, and have been attending night classes to get the requisite 15 college credits so that I may enlist. I have 12 as of now. My question is, will the USMC accept my passing an College English CLEP exam administered by my college in an effort to speed things up and avoid going to one class for an entire semester?

Last edited by Rocky C; 03-31-13 at 06:19 AM. Reason: We have male and female Marines here.

Hey, Nic. You should read these site rules first: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28989 with respect to your profile into, but good question.

Search the forum, Ask a Marine section. There is a sticky on GED...etc. And there are threads that talk about CLEP. Search "CLEP."

The sticky I read did not specifically address my question regarding 12 credits + a single CLEP exam worth 3 credits. I only saw one GED sticky, but I may have missed the one you're referring to. Would you link me to it? Thanks!

Nic

Quote Originally Posted by thegiantmidget View Post
    The sticky I read did not specifically address my question regarding 12 credits + a single CLEP exam worth 3 credits. I only saw one GED sticky, but I may have missed the one you're referring to. Would you link me to it? Thanks!

Nic
    Nic, if you go to the Ask a Marine forum, you search CLEP and get other links, but Softballcatch23 already posted one of them for ya.

In addition to any knowledge you gain here, the best source you are going to find, at least in my opinion, is with a recruiter. I would go on into a recruiter's office, tell them what you said here, and see what they say.

If what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, you are to be commended for sacrificing your education to support your family. It sucks when one's dad leaves. Had the same thing happen, but I was too young to do what you did. It forced my mom to get food stamps for two months until she could get things in order.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Ged/diploma/college Credit Question...start Here
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96657

Joining with GED and CLEP credits?
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=98790

Thank you, Marine!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Ged/diploma/college Credit Question...start Here
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96657

Joining with GED and CLEP credits?
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=98790
    Good job as always Sister,Semper Fidelis.

thegiantmidget.......You're welcome!

SGT7477..........Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Nic, if you go to the Ask a Marine forum, you search CLEP and get other links, but Softballcatch23 already posted one of them for ya.

In addition to any knowledge you gain here, the best source you are going to find, at least in my opinion, is with a recruiter. I would go on into a recruiter's office, tell them what you said here, and see what they say.

If what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, you are to be commended for sacrificing your education to support your family. It sucks when one's dad leaves. Had the same thing happen, but I was too young to do what you did. It forced my mom to get food stamps for two months until she could get things in order.

Best of luck to you.
    That was my first thought. I think I will pop in tomorrow and double check.

One of the things I am most drawn to by the Corps is the straight-forward, no non-sense EARN your way mentality. I expect a concise answer anytime I ask a Marine anything and am rarely disappointed. Thanks again!

Nic

To anyone curious, I lost all the weight, kept it off, got my college credits and swore in to the DEP a while back. I am leaving for MCRD Parris Island in a week. Thanks again for all the support received here, and best of luck to anybody trying to conquer similar hurdles!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats Nic !!!

Status changed to " Poolee/DEP ".

Please square away your profile to reflect the changes.

Thank you and best of luck to you.

Best of luck to you on your journey to become a United States Marine.....and be sure to check back in with us when you do EARN the title!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Let us know how you make out going for the Big Green Weenie!!!!

You've gotten a little time already INVESTED in this adventure..

Getting everything straightened up now. Thanks again for all of your kind words and continued support. I'm off to MEPS at noon tomorrow, then PI Monday morning. Will check back in here after I've earned the title. See you in the fleet!

Thread Information