FAST Co. - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FAST Co.

Marinemom32,

So happy that your son was able to make it home for the holidays. Sounds like he'll be having an exciting times ahead.

The very best to you and your son!

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    THAT'S for sure! The "eye candy" in a civilian airport HAS to be better than some enlisted barracks!!

Mom, let us know how his stay with you goes.
    Yes you both have a point, and that is exactly what he said he did....watch the women and acted like he was reading a book!! So far it has been great....but on his first night back, while picking a friend up, he hit a deer with my car...at least everyone in the car was OK...can't say the same for the deer and my car. He is been enjoying his time with his friends....and of coruse he does stop in and give me a hug, and says how much he loves me...and then he is off again...

Quote Originally Posted by Marinemom32 View Post
    watch the women and acted like he was reading a book!!
    LOL. Did he wear Blue Brother's shades, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Marinemom32 View Post
    and of coruse he does stop in and give me a hug, and says how much he loves me...and then he is off again...
    Yep. That's the way of leave...so much to do, such little time to do it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    LOL. Did he wear Blue Brother's shades, too?

Yep. That's the way of leave...so much to do, such little time to do it.
    lol No he didn't wer any shades...

I know he is always so busy with all his friends when he is home on leave...and I know his a young Man, Marine that has needs that his mom can't take care of...but I still need some of his time too...and he pretty good about seeing me too...

Did you say your son was in "Alpha 6 1st FAST? The reason I ask is I am a former FAST Marine, 2001-2004, and I was curious if they changed things up since I have been out of the corps. Back then it was only FAST Co in Norfolk, VA. Not to long before I got there I had heard there was a 2nd FAST in Yorktown, VA that was no longer in operation. We just had Platoons that were all in 1 set of barracks just outside the Naval Base. I am sure things have changed a bit since 2004. Our platoons did 6 month rotations to Japan, and Spain.

If he graduated on 12/22, and was selected for FAST then I would imagine right now he is just getting started with his new platoon. I was in 2 platoons, the 2nd platoon I was in myself and few other NCO's were extended in FAST to pickup and train a new platoon. All in all it was a great time with some great training. Tell him to keep his head on straight and he can get some really good schools. CQB and HRST were 2 that I attended and they were both top notch..Sorry for chiming in I was just surprised at how things seemed to have changed. Good luck to your son.

Sgt. Halsey
    FAST 2001-2004

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Had a Lance Coolie in My Squad in tha Nam,Felipe Torres;that stayed in tha Crotch,ended up going all tha way up too Full Bird Col,and started The Very 1st.FAST Co...It was some Nuke Base on tha Coast of Ga...Or Fla? S/F

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by tbull View Post
    Did you say your son was in "Alpha 6 1st FAST? The reason I ask is I am a former FAST Marine, 2001-2004, and I was curious if they changed things up since I have been out of the corps. Back then it was only FAST Co in Norfolk, VA. Not to long before I got there I had heard there was a 2nd FAST in Yorktown, VA that was no longer in operation. We just had Platoons that were all in 1 set of barracks just outside the Naval Base. I am sure things have changed a bit since 2004. Our platoons did 6 month rotations to Japan, and Spain.

If he graduated on 12/22, and was selected for FAST then I would imagine right now he is just getting started with his new platoon. I was in 2 platoons, the 2nd platoon I was in myself and few other NCO's were extended in FAST to pickup and train a new platoon. All in all it was a great time with some great training. Tell him to keep his head on straight and he can get some really good schools. CQB and HRST were 2 that I attended and they were both top notch..Sorry for chiming in I was just surprised at how things seemed to have changed. Good luck to your son.

Sgt. Halsey
    FAST 2001-2004
    Sgt. Halsey,
    Yes pretty sure he said he is Alpha 6 first FAST Company. from what he tells me they will be getting deployed to Spain in late August. I think right now he is getting trained on Hum V's. he is getting a little discouraged, it is all hurry up and wait. But all in all he is liking it, and excited about the opportunity to go to Spain! And he is in VA, he said abuot 15 minutes from Virginia Beach.. And I appreciate you chiming in, good to hear from someone who has been through this!

I just stopped in Rota, Spain in April 2011; and I just had friend go over to the FAST Company there. I believe it is consider a PCS, so not a deployment. I do know, the Marine Corps has been expanding its FAST Company presents to more Naval Stations. But as far as leave he should get leave before he has to go over. I thought the places was nice, the base isnt to big though.

Credits
    Savings
    SBYates,

Thanks for the info. yes he did say he would get a 15 day leave prior to leaving, just glad that get to see him before leaves. He also said Sapin is just where they will be hanging his hat so to speak, he said they will be giong to other surronding countires while there also. Thanks again for the info, would like to learn as much as I can about FAST

It sounds like he is on the typical FAST rotation, we called them FDP's. Most of those are planned out well in advance. Typically he will know when he will be deployed unless it is a change of plans and they need a FAST plt to operate somewhere else on short notice. When we went to Iraq we only knew a few days in advance that we were for sure going there. However when plt's deploy to Japan, Spain, Bahrain, etc...Those are already planned well ahead of time. And your right typically while on those deployments, depending on where they are, you will have squads or the entire plt break off and do different missions in different countries, or aboard a ship. We even went out in even smaller groups for weeks at a time to train sailors on Marksmanship, and Martial Arts. Those were always cool because after you were done with them for the day you were kind of on your own program until the next day. So there is a wide variety of things we did in FAST, I did 3 deployments in 3 years so sometimes you are not stateside very often. I am sure he will like it. Contrary to popular belief FAST platoons are not like Recon or Seals. Their main mission is security and they are very good at it. We were able to shoot much more than other units in the Corps simply because we were much smaller. The Marines like myself that were lucky enough to go to CQB schools and other schools are usually task with training the current, and future platoons on things like that. So while FAST platoons do get alot of "high speed' type training that you may see in some elite units, they are nowhere near the level that those men are. Even still the PT is usually very intense on a daily basis, so guys that cannot maintain that level of intensity are usually weeded out quickly and either leave FAST, or end up pushing pencils in HQ. The down side of FAST is that most Marines that are in their first contract will rotate out of FAST and transfer to the Fleet Marine Force to finish their enlisment. So even though all FAST marines are grunts, and have been initially trained on a specific weapons system or as a rifleman before they went to FAST, the way they operate is so much different that they are behind the curve ball when they get to the fleet. So its a catch 22..That being said I enjoyed my time there and was fortunate to get training that many Marines do not get the benefit of recieving. I am sure your son will do just fine. Just tell him to make sure he stays in shape, but I am sure his squad leader will take care of that. Chances are that most of the NCO's in his plt have already done one tour with a FAST plt.

Credits
    Savings
    tbull,

Thanks so much for the information! That really helps to know some of things that he will be doing...he has enjoyed training so far, really likes all the training with the different weapons, he has come to really enjoy shooting.. I didn't think he would be in the states much, I think he said he will be leaving Late August, and will not be back until March. If i can ask, what is the commuication like while they are gone? Do we get to talk or is it letters...I understand it is high security, and OPSEC but just kind of want to know how we will be able to communicate. he does enjoy PT..he really likes to push himself, so he will have no problem with the PT.
    His contract is for 5 years, so yeah two of them will be in FAST, and then he will go to the fleet, and I guess the first year is all training..he left for boot 6/6/11, and graduated on 9/2/11, so almost has that first year under his belt. ..he did mention something about a MOS hop? Switching after FAST? Not sure if he is able to to that or not. Thanks again for all info, was very helpful!
    cindy

It all depends on what he is doing. For example while we were in Japan we actually had phones in our rooms. Of course we had to pay for them, and they arent cheap. But we had an answering machine and everything. I never went to Spain but I would imagine its not far off from that. However when he is out operating off site somewhere like a ship, emails will probably be the norm for comm. In Iraq some of the media would let us use their phones, but there was not much communication. It all depends on where he is. Technology has come so far since 04 that I am sure they wont have an issue calling home regardless of where they go.

As far as changing MOS's, that is usually something you cannot do until the end of your first contract I believe. In other words, if he re-enlist he may be able to go to school for another MOS. 8152 is the MOS of security forces which is was FAST falls under, after he leaves he will go back to his primary 0300 mos of whatever he obtained in SOI.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks tbull! This is good to know. So i am thinking he will probably will not be able to take his phone with him, but we will have other ways to communicate? I have kind of gotten used to talking and texting to him everyday, its nice, but I know it won't always be like that. I don't think it will be an issue either, just want to know what to expect.

Ok so he will not be able to change his MOS..I am not sure where he got tht info from, I am sure you now how rumors and such get circulated around. As far as his primary, all I know is he was infantry. Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it!

Thread Information