Married marines forced to eat chow hall - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Option 1: Eat before you go to formation and then head to motor T right after and "stand around"
    Option 2: Eat before you go to formation and (if you are against standing around) go to the chow hall anyway. You don't have to eat there. You can just sit and chill with your homies until they're done.
    Option 3: Take food with you to formation. Eat your own food at the chow hall. It's not like the chow hall workers are going to tell you not to bring your own food.
    Option 4: Don't eat at all.
    Option 5: Pay the measly $4 and eat at the chow hall.

Sounds like you have a lot of options to me. Seriously Marine.... think. You don't have to have stellar problem solving skills to work through this one.

heck if you go to the Motor T and have to wait and got a smart phone go sit somewhere and sleep and sit your alarm for 15 min before everyone gets there

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What he needs is a good "Sea Lawyer".

Daaamn son it just keeps on going too.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I have never met a young Marine that didn't enjoy standing around...and still get paid for it.

General Krulak, former Commandant of the Marine Corps said in an illustrious piece on the future of the Marine Corps

The remaining vestiges of the "zero defects mentality" must be exchanged for an environment in which all Marines are afforded the "freedom to fail" and with it, the opportunity to succeed.
    How it pertains to this particular question is that the Marine has several choices to fail himself and his fellow Marines if he chooses to waste money through the chow hall when a home cooked meal could be cheaper or if he just "stands around" if he doesn't utilize the chow hall.

How about educating / preparing yourself and your fellow Marines by holding classes during that "stand around time". I know when I was in I was kicking classes on many different subjects, that dealt with my MOS and Marine Corps knowledge in general, and having my junior Marines brief - back me before they went to teach a class to the rest of the Marines.

Also, as Sparkie pointed out, haven't "sea lawyers" been around since the inception of the Marine Corps. Doling out "advice" to Marines on what the Corps could and couldn't do to them? As I go to Veteran's events and talk with the older generation of Marine Veterans I hear many stories regaling how they did, not what the Marine Corps thought was for the best for them, but for what they thought was best for their fellow Marines.

27 posts later and the young Marine hasn't chimmed back in yet. Hmmm, makes one wonder...

But on the chow hall thing, $4.25!! Wow! When I was in...well, let's just say it was a bit cheaper than that.

In '79 my dad, a Korean War vet, came to El Toro on one of those Marine Corps publicity tours when they fly you to MCRD, tour, bus up to El Toro and fly back home. I met him in the chow hall for lunch. in '79 the food was pretty good. I never complained - much. But he was blown away comparing the "cusine" I had compared to Army slop from the early Fifties.

Makes one wonder if there is that much improvement in 25 years, what's it like today 32 years later?

I have a hard time believing that the OP is for real. Used to be when they said squat you did and replied with how much and what color.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    27 posts later and the young Marine hasn't chimmed back in yet. Hmmm, makes one wonder...
    He's at the motor pool biotchin'.....about being hungry....

Quote Originally Posted by TheReservist View Post
    General Krulak, former Commandant of the Marine Corps said in an illustrious piece on the future of the Marine Corps

How it pertains to this particular question is that the Marine has several choices to fail himself and his fellow Marines if he chooses to waste money through the chow hall when a home cooked meal could be cheaper or if he just "stands around" if he doesn't utilize the chow hall.

How about educating / preparing yourself and your fellow Marines by holding classes during that "stand around time". I know when I was in I was kicking classes on many different subjects, that dealt with my MOS and Marine Corps knowledge in general, and having my junior Marines brief - back me before they went to teach a class to the rest of the Marines.

Also, as Sparkie pointed out, haven't "sea lawyers" been around since the inception of the Marine Corps. Doling out "advice" to Marines on what the Corps could and couldn't do to them? As I go to Veteran's events and talk with the older generation of Marine Veterans I hear many stories regaling how they did, not what the Marine Corps thought was for the best for them, but for what they thought was best for their fellow Marines.
    Can you PM me a link or directions to where I can read the referenced piece by Gen Krulak?
    I would like to read the full article.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/...c_corporal.htm

It's called, "The Strategic Corporal: Leadership in the Three Block War"

It's originally from a Marine Magazine piece that General Krulak wrote in 1999. I've seen it posted on several other sites but I feel this is the most official despite the fact that it's an Air Force site.

It's a very interesting article that I've read several times and have cited in papers I've written in my collegiate career in terms of leadership.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1ld0g1775 View Post
    I want to know can your chain of command force you to eat at a chow hall if your married. We have the choice but if we dont go to the chow hall after our 0530 company formation we have to go straight to the motor pool and stand around until 0645, are they allowed to do that?

WTF over? Why do you guys have 0530 formation?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I have a hard time believing that the OP is for real. Used to be when they said squat you did and replied with how much and what color.
    EXACTLY.

Nothing better than breakfast at the chow hall.

The Marines where I'm at are already here PTing at 0530, including married Marines. If eating at the chow hall in the early morning is his complaint, I'm curious what unit he's hiding and sliding with.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Two lines for chow. A hundred people for eggs, bacon, sausage, ham.
    The other line was for SOS, with two or three guys standing there. Me among them.
    Hashbrowns, dump 'em on, cover it with sh*** -- er, gravy, throw on top two eggs over-medium, dump jalapenos on top of that, and douse it all with tabasco.

Dang, I'm getting hungry thinking about it!

Thread Information