Married marines forced to eat chow hall - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    WTF over? Why do you guys have 0530 formation?
    It takes him awhile to find the Motor Pool....

Brown baggers!

This young Marine needs some leadership. I was taught some very simple rules about work ethic which have served me well all of my life, and helped me to not only earn my doctorate degree but also to earn and receive recognition ahead of most everyone else.

Start working early before everyone else. Stay late working more than everyone else. Look for more responsibility and opportunities to serve someone else without being asked to do so, and say "I can" when asked to do anything.

Pretty simple. And the best universal rule that I learned from a very smart man was that if we do more work than we are being paid for, pretty soon we will be paid for more than we are doing.

Semper Fi, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by D3v1ld0g1775 View Post
    I want to know can your chain of command force you to eat at a chow hall if your married. We have the choice but if we dont go to the chow hall after our 0530 company formation we have to go straight to the motor pool and stand around until 0645, are they allowed to do that?
    One word answer ... "YES"
    You want home cooking, get it before formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I have a hard time believing that the OP is for real. Used to be when they said squat you did and replied with how much and what color.
    There were always a few sea lawyers around, but most of them could come up with a better complaint than this.

Larry why would you talk about sea lawyers when all of the posters from the time frame that you served in are saying that they always did exactly what they were told?

Has the concept of sea lawyer changed from yesteryear to today?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One thing that hasn't changed .... the quality and diversity of the chow is based entirely on the average number of Marines they feed on a daily basis.

Your command doesn't have to let you go home to your wife after "work" technically they're releasing you for Liberty. It's the Marine Corps for Gods sake! I was married and ate at the chow hall alot, extremely fair price for good chow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReservist View Post
    Larry why would you talk about sea lawyers when all of the posters from the time frame that you served in are saying that they always did exactly what they were told?

Has the concept of sea lawyer changed from yesteryear to today?
    No, the concept has not changed but some memories may have.
    Truth be told most did follow orders, as described, but there have always been a small contingents of malcontents, winers, and deliberate misfits.

Of course there were also those who excelled in combat assignments but did not fit well in the peacetime Marine Corps.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    True-----I remember those 30" pedestal fans, set on "high", at Camp Lejeune, so that anyone walking from the chow line to a table would have their slices of bread blown fifteen feet away if they didn't hold on to them.
    Two lines for chow. A hundred people for eggs, bacon, sausage, ham.
    The other line was for SOS, with two or three guys standing there. Me among them.

Geeez Dave you Marines sure had it soft. I recall dining in the ward room aboard the Kennedy. All we had was steak and eggs, sausage, omelets, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed oj, freshly baked muffins, biscuits and doughnuts all served by mess attendants on real china. Sort of makes me wish I was at Lejeune with you.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    True-----I remember those 30" pedestal fans, set on "high", at Camp Lejeune, so that anyone walking from the chow line to a table would have their slices of bread blown fifteen feet away if they didn't hold on to them.
    Two lines for chow. A hundred people for eggs, bacon, sausage, ham.
    The other line was for SOS, with two or three guys standing there. Me among them.
    SOS the breakfast of champions,Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Tha Chow in tha BRIG,was Lean and Mean...Bread,Lettuce & Water,That was after having Din Din eating out The Ossifers Wives when their Men were on War Games...Eatin out at tha Y...Was worth doin 29 Day's in tha BRIG...Semper Ho Ho Ho...With all Due Respect

Why not just go to the Chow Hall? Relax, have a cup of coffee, or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by TMM54 View Post
    This young Marine needs some leadership. I was taught some very simple rules about work ethic which have served me well all of my life, and helped me to not only earn my doctorate degree but also to earn and receive recognition ahead of most everyone else.

Start working early before everyone else. Stay late working more than everyone else. Look for more responsibility and opportunities to serve someone else without being asked to do so, and say "I can" when asked to do anything.

Pretty simple. And the best universal rule that I learned from a very smart man was that if we do more work than we are being paid for, pretty soon we will be paid for more than we are doing.

Semper Fi, Tom

Good post, Tom. All of those principles worked for me!

Problem is: Today we are dealing with the "Generation of Me."

I guess this must be the generational shift that's occurred from yesteryear to today.

As the Marines from this generation want to be the one's who are dirty, hungry while kicking in doors (or providing the best support for those that do) in afghanistan or iraq compared to I guess what the yesteryear Marines want of looking good on a poster.

Today's Marines want to be like -

Caring more about the battlefield then having hands in the pocket or low regs.

Thread Information