Emergency medical care at VA medical facility
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

Emergency medical care at VA medical facility

About 2 months ago, I received emergency medical care for a deep 2 inch laceration resulting from a fall at VA medical center. The wound involved cleaning, x-ray, local anesthesia, and stitches. The only bill I ever received was for the antibiotics I obtained at the pharmacy. I did not take any pain killers for the wound aside from a few ibuprofens (generic Motrin) that I had at home.

Should I anticipate another bill from VA for the medical services? I have no service connected disability and have not received any other VA medical care aside from a one time post-separation dental visit in 2008.

I have employer sponsored health insurance so payment should not be an issue since emergency treatment is covered.

Credits
    Savings
    Apparently I cannot edit after a certain period of time.

For clarification, I received emergency medical treatment at a VA medical center for a 2 inch laceration resulting from a fall. I did not fall at a VA medical center.

I did not provide any payment or insurance documents at the time of admission and service nor was I asked for any.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Were you registered for care at VA already (say for mental health, etc)? If so, they should already have your insurance info and will bill them. You shouldn't see another bill except for the Rx co-pay.

If someone (like myself) has no insurance and goes through the VA for non-service related care, how does the VA handle both the treatment and billing for emergencies, hospital stays, and other major medical issues? Is it just a matter of paying the copays?

I do pay copays at the VA clinic when I see my provider, copays for my meds, etc.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    If someone (like myself) has no insurance and goes through the VA for non-service related care, how does the VA handle both the treatment and billing for emergencies, hospital stays, and other major medical issues? Is it just a matter of paying the copays?

I do pay copays at the VA clinic when I see my provider, copays for my meds, etc.

I'm not an expert at this stuff, but it depends on the Class you are assigned to based on how service related your medical issues are and based on a means test.

Try this link: http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/

Thanks Zu, that pointed to the info I was looking for.

Credits
    Savings
    I believe that I did register at the VA prior to the visit because I only had to provide full name, DOB, last four to be admitted for emergency treatment. I did fill out a bunch of papers prior to my post-separation dental exam so I assume that registered me in the system. I also submitted a copy of my DD-214 at that time.

The post-separation exam was only available to me because I did not have one within 6 months prior to separation, or something like that. At the time did not have employer sponsored insurance and I know I did not purchase insurance on my own until a few months after that dental visit.

Sounds like you are registered. I think every year you may need to complete the financial assessment form which determines whether you pay copays or not for non-service related care.

Also, if you haven't already, you might want to look into getting a VA photo ID card, I was told that everyone in the VA system will eventually need one. If you're already in the system, it's just a matter of going in and getting a photo taken and they should send you the card, I'm currently waiting for mine.

Thread Information