Future of the Marine Corps?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Future of the Marine Corps?

The Marine Corps is reducing its size as I'm sure most of us here know. They have also been ordered to re-evaluate what an amphibious expeditionary force in readiness looks like, due to the Marine Corps operating like a second Army. They're also stressing the amphibious aspect of the Corps.

What exactly does that entail? As a 16 year old civilian who has never served, my civilian guess would be to reduce size to save money and get a higher quality of Marine, then make the MEUs more efficient through better investments, more training\equipment per Marine, etc.

But what do you Marines think\know this means, will it be something simple like reducing size and better investments or does it mean the whole MEU concept will be changed or gone with another concept to take its place, not saying MEUs aren't effective but things like mines have kept them from landing (Kuwait) which takes away to force in readiness aspect. Also like I stated above, the USMC is returning to its amphibious roots. Does this mean they won't participate in missions like Afghanistan and they'll only do coastal missions?

I'm asking because I am going to enlist next year and would like to know about the future of the branch I'm going into. Thanks in advance for reading and posting Marines.

As of now we all have the same crystal ball you are peering into and there are no answers to your questions that I can see. The ole crystal ball is pretty cloudy on all aspects.

We are far from being a 2nd army,Semper Fidelis.

The last 10 years have been an anomaly, nothing more. The Marines have always been smaller, elite'er, and used to it. The idea that we are a 'second land army' has never, ever, been part of our 'core' values or being, we only grew that way to support the national mission. Now, rightfully, we are going back to our 'normal' size.

Bigger is not always 'better'.

What does that mean for you? Realistically, nothing. The Corps will continue to recruit, just on a lesser scale than before. Programs will go away, sure, but crucial MOS's won't. MEU's will remain doing what they do, and will go back to being the 'primary' force at the tip of the spear, as they have been for well over 20 years.

Lastly, as far as the 'mines/Kuwait' thing goes, you've misread history. The afloat ARG during Gulf I was never intended to do an opposed amphibious landing, only to make the Iraqis' *think* we were going to do so, to draw off forces.

The only way the US can 'force project' is by using Marines and the MEU, from the sea. Take THAT to the bank. The need for those MEU's has *never* gone away, if you'll note, during the heaviest fighting in Iraq and 'Stan, the MEU's have constantly been rotating in/out of their usual 'float' grounds, the Med, WesPac, and 'round the Cape. Even when Infantry Battalions were down on Marines, the MEU's were fully staffed and doing rotations.

Something to think about.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    The last 10 years have been an anomaly, nothing more. The Marines have always been smaller, elite'er, and used to it. The idea that we are a 'second land army' has never, ever, been part of our 'core' values or being, we only grew that way to support the national mission. Now, rightfully, we are going back to our 'normal' size.

Bigger is not always 'better'.

What does that mean for you? Realistically, nothing. The Corps will continue to recruit, just on a lesser scale than before. Programs will go away, sure, but crucial MOS's won't. MEU's will remain doing what they do, and will go back to being the 'primary' force at the tip of the spear, as they have been for well over 20 years.

Lastly, as far as the 'mines/Kuwait' thing goes, you've misread history. The afloat ARG during Gulf I was never intended to do an opposed amphibious landing, only to make the Iraqis' *think* we were going to do so, to draw off forces.

The only way the US can 'force project' is by using Marines and the MEU, from the sea. Take THAT to the bank. The need for those MEU's has *never* gone away, if you'll note, during the heaviest fighting in Iraq and 'Stan, the MEU's have constantly been rotating in/out of their usual 'float' grounds, the Med, WesPac, and 'round the Cape. Even when Infantry Battalions were down on Marines, the MEU's were fully staffed and doing rotations.

Something to think about.
    Thank you Sgt, that clears a lot up.

But after Afghanistan, how will the Marine Corps participate (if at all) in land locked countries?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by recondite14 View Post
    Thank you Sgt, that clears a lot up.

But after Afghanistan, how will the Marine Corps participate (if at all) in land locked countries?

Consider that the first Marine unit into Afghanistan (a very landlocked country) was a MEU that flew in by helos from their ships. Longest amphibious assault in history, over 400 miles.

Otherwise, Marines can get into landlocked countries the way they have previously. They fly in or drive in from a neighboring country. No biggie.

Adapt, improvise, overcome.

The same ??'s have come up after WWII , Korea,Viteman and im sure after WWI an any other time cost cutting has comeup. but as long a u have need for a naval service u will have need for THE MARINES

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    They tried but they couldn't do it.....

The Marines will be around for years to come.....

Someplace...someone will start some shiat somewhere and then the powers that be will say "Tell it to the Marines!"

And the Marines will go it as advisors....humanatarian...or warriors.

The Marine Corps isn't going anywhere....

But as the GYSGT said the crystal ball is fuzzy...so a prediction can't be made.....as to when and where the Marines will go next....

As Sgt 7477 said, we are certainly NOT a second Army. The Corps size will always change, year after year, but there will always be a Marine Corps. We have a very unique job to do, unlike any other branch, and we are experts at it. The next generation of Marines will be smarter, and have more new toys to work with, making us even more a force to be reconed with. With you being 16, I assume you gonna join the Delayed Entry Program, thats what I did back in 82. In the mean time if your commited to becoming one of "The nations finest" get into PT and hang out with your recruiter, Im sure he has plenty of books and things for you to read about our Corps. good luck in your choice.

We went through almost the exact same scenario 20 years ago -- look at the drawdown that happened in President Clinton's first term. Gulf War I was over, Cold War was over, anticipated "Peace Dividend", etc... The Marine Corps dropped from about 225,000 down to about 176,000.

Over the next five or six years commitments and contingency operations increased, MEUs got very active, then 9/11 hit and here we are. Iraq is over, Afghanistan is winding down, commitments are increasing in Africa, Congress is expecting to positively impact the Federal budget through troop cuts and deployment cuts, and the military is downsizing.

Chances are in 5 or 6 years we'll be ramping up again.

I'm at SOI right now and the word is that only 2 more battalions are deploying to Afghanistan. I saw in the MC Times where Gen. Amos said we will be refocusing on the Pacific and getting back to our roots as an amphibious force-in-readiness. I'm guessing that means more floats in the Far East, etc. Also, new base is opening in Australia. Can't say for sure. One thing I learned very quickly about the Marine Corps is that things are constantly changing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JWJohnsonIII View Post
    I'm at SOI right now and the word is that only 2 more battalions are deploying to Afghanistan. I saw in the MC Times where Gen. Amos said we will be refocusing on the Pacific and getting back to our roots as an amphibious force-in-readiness. I'm guessing that means more floats in the Far East, etc. Also, new base is opening in Australia. Can't say for sure. One thing I learned very quickly about the Marine Corps is that things are constantly changing.
    Good observation. Remember the Corps other motto: Semper Gumby.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Everything they've told us was that Afghan deployments were pretty much dead except for a few random little billets come the end of next year and that they were cutting numbers, the exact number they want to cut to seems to change with everyone who's saying it. More MEUs, get away from being a 2nd land army and go back to mostly being on ships, at least as much as Marines do nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by recondite14 View Post
    The Marine Corps is reducing its size as I'm sure most of us here know.
    Actually, we are not reducing our size as has been the common message. According to the National Defense Authorization Act for FY-2012, the USMC is maintaining its current end strength of 202,100 troops.

Thread Information