Watch Your Mouth
Author: Pastor Gary Keesee | Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 - 5:52pm

“This job is killing me!”

“I don’t think we’re ever going to get ahead.”

“I’ll just be on medication for the rest of my life.”

Take a few minutes to think about what has come out of your mouth in the last 24 hours.

Now, what if I told you that your words hold the same power as God’s?

For the last several weeks, I’ve been talking about justice and the Kingdom of God. We read Romans 10:10, which says, “For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.”

In Luke 15, we read the story of The Prodigal Son. The father runs to him, kisses him, hugs him, has his best robe put on him, and puts a ring on his finger. That ring is significant. It had the father’s seal on it. In those days, kings and leaders stamped their seal onto documents to make it legally binding—to decree something. By giving his son his ring, the father gave the son the same authority he held.

This is a picture of God and us. This is a picture of the authority God gave us.

Revelation 1 tells us we are kings and priests. Jesus is the King and you’re His body. You’re supposed to represent God’s government in the earth realm. You’re supposed to be making things right. You’re supposed to be decreeing what God said.

But you’ve been stamping documents with your signet ring that are unrighteous.

Step back and think about what you’re saying. Don’t say, “Well, I’ve tried that ‘faith stuff’ but it hasn’t worked.” Don’t say you don’t trust God, or you’re not seeing results. Make sure that you’re not decreeing junk!

See, it doesn’t matter if you go to church and sing and say, “In Jesus’ name.” What are you saying at 3am when they’re coming the next day to shut off your electric? What are you saying about that sickness? What are you decreeing and declaring about your life?

Proverbs 18:20 says that our words have the power of life and death.

Jesus showed us this in Mark 11 when He cursed the fig tree and it died.

Your words are just as binding as His.

You HAVE to be careful. You will walk in EXACTLY what you decree. God gave YOU the keys. The authority is in YOUR hands. James 3 tells us that we are setting the course of our lives with our words, but most people have no clue how this works. They’re trying to get to one place and end up somewhere else and they wonder why. It’s like setting out for London and ending up in the Philippines. You’re the one steering the ship. If you end up shipwrecked on shores you didn’t intend to go to, it’s because you decreed it.

The Bible tells us that we have the crown and that we are seated with Christ in heavenly places. But with that authority comes responsibility. The Bible also tells us that we will have to give an account for every careless word we have spoken.

That’s a sobering thought, but it’s meant to positive. Think of what you can decree! Don’t fear that authority. Rejoice in it. Speak the good things. Say ‘yes’ and ‘amen’ to every promise. Decree provision, healing, direction, wisdom, and health. Use your words wisely.