Sleep Apnea - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep Apnea

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    So the VA has diagnosed me with sleep apnea and will be paying for the CPAP treatment but I don't know if I can claim it as service related yet.

I did a 9 month stint with a repair shop where I was constantly exposed to freon, spray paint, gases for welding, etc etc. I did list this all my yearly medical hazard sheet, but my apnea didn't start till shortly after I was out. I did have a bit of insomnia but never got treated for that either while in because I didn't think it was a big deal (my mistake).

What are my chances of getting approved for service-related? I do have an appointment with my doctor in like 6-8 weeks (so I was told on the phone) and will ask the doctor then.
    must say that want work as a related to combat as it is hereditary.. My mother had it and my grandmother had it and I have it and my doctor say it come from generation to generation passed down to one member at a time.. So trying to say the you got it from Nam or from chemicals want work and if it does let me know cause I can refile my clam then.. I was a 3516/3521 and worked around chemicals too.along with asbestos brake pads..

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    i have a question my father in law is passing as i speak here is his info.he was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point NC organization: VMT-1, 2dMAW, FMF, MCAS. Served USMC 31 July 46 til 22nd Jan 48? Honorable Discharge. Authorized 2 recieve WWII Victory Medal. The question is, is he eligible for burial benefits even though he did not serve any combat dutys and his wishes are to be cremated. I've had people at VA so No and yes I cant get a clear answer. thank you for your response

If your father is receiving VA compensation or a VA pension at the time of his death then his estate will be eligible for Burial Benefits.

Just recieved a letter saying that 50% was awarded to me

Was interesting that the combined rating is 60%, so I lost 10% from my knees (was getting 20%).

But I am satisfied with the results given to me. I just had a newborn child on April 17th and my wife had a C-Section with no insurance but this is an answered prayer to paying that doctor bill.

Just need to wait get my new child's SSN so I can file for my kids and wife to be added on.

Just recieved a letter saying that 50% was awarded to me

Was interesting that the combined rating is 60%, so I lost 10% from my knees (was getting 20%).

But I am satisfied with the results given to me. I just had a newborn child on April 17th and my wife had a C-Section with no insurance but this is an answered prayer to paying that doctor bill.

Just need to wait get my new child's SSN so I can file for my kids and wife to be added on.
    Giveen, congratulations, that's awesome. And if you ask if I am congratulating your for either the rating or your baby, it's both.

I'm assuming this was wholly or in part due to your apnea being service related?

What was the link between your time in service and the apnea?

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I'm glad this thread got started, and now re-addressed: it got me thinking so today I made an appointment to follow up on the sleep study I did a few years ago but blew it off because I'm a dumb Italian male.

With a newborn at home my sleep is worse ever, and I need to quit talking and get to walking into the DR's office to get my apnea fixed.

Messy CPAP or not, I have to get some better sleep.

And thanks for the info, Ameriken
    Hey Wook, congratulations to you too for your baby.

As for the sleep apnea, have you gotten the ball rolling yet? When sleep apnea progressive and gets bad enough, it'll take all the life out of you, day after day after day.

It can make you feel so drained of all your life, and if you go take an hour nap you'll wake up feeling even worse, almost to the point of not being able to function.

I digress...just wanted to make sure you're going down this road of getting it taken care of. S/F

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Giveen, congratulations, that's awesome. And if you ask if I am congratulating your for either the rating or your baby, it's both.

I'm assuming this was wholly or in part due to your apnea being service related?

What was the link between your time in service and the apnea?
    I'm still surprised I got it. I thought it was a long shot, even my doctor didn't want to make a statement because she said there was no direct proof.
    I think because it started while I was in the service, and since they can't prove it wasn't caused by my service, that they gave it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Hey Wook, congratulations to you too for your baby.

As for the sleep apnea, have you gotten the ball rolling yet? When sleep apnea progressive and gets bad enough, it'll take all the life out of you, day after day after day.

It can make you feel so drained of all your life, and if you go take an hour nap you'll wake up feeling even worse, almost to the point of not being able to function.

I digress...just wanted to make sure you're going down this road of getting it taken care of. S/F
    Thanks, Devil -- I went for my intro appointment (take two) last friday. Now I have to schedule a sleep test. I tried to get the DR. to just give me the CPAP, since I did one sleep test and they confirmed I'm jacked up. But he wouldn't ,, so another night of sleeping in a spider web until they give me the CPAP. I'll keep you posted.

I wonder if i could get this somehow to be service related? I mean my last two years I lived inside a shoot house full of chemicals from bangs and weapon firing.

Probably not.... and what a hassle it would be at this point. My mistake for never going to medical and getting nothing documented.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Thanks, Devil -- I went for my intro appointment (take two) last friday. Now I have to schedule a sleep test. I tried to get the DR. to just give me the CPAP, since I did one sleep test and they confirmed I'm jacked up. But he wouldn't ,, so another night of sleeping in a spider web until they give me the CPAP. I'll keep you posted.

I wonder if i could get this somehow to be service related? I mean my last two years I lived inside a shoot house full of chemicals from bangs and weapon firing.

Probably not.... and what a hassle it would be at this point. My mistake for never going to medical and getting nothing documented.
    That was why I was thinking I wasn't going to get it. I didn't think as a young Marine that "tired" and "sleepy" could be considered as symptoms of a disorder. Can you think about me going to my Sgt and saying "Heh Sgt, can I go sickbay? I'm feeling tired". He would have laughed and said "Tired? I know a sure way to wake you up, go fill some sandbags!"

But my VA rep said that while it is difficult to prove this is not the court of law, just that there has to be a possibility that the service could be related.

That was why I was thinking I wasn't going to get it. I didn't think as a young Marine that "tired" and "sleepy" could be considered as symptoms of a disorder. Can you think about me going to my Sgt and saying "Heh Sgt, can I go sickbay? I'm feeling tired". He would have laughed and said "Tired? I know a sure way to wake you up, go fill some sandbags!"

But my VA rep said that while it is difficult to prove this is not the court of law, just that there has to be a possibility that the service could be related.
    Yeah, it's a nice thought, but I won't bother. Same thing for my back, and my hearing -- both not as good due to the Corps, but waaah me.

I remember in my last unit we had this guy, Dills, who missed formations like a big dog. We thought it was because he was dealing with "symptoms" from the night before. Little did we, or he realize that he had sleep apnea. But when he got out of the Corps and started testing for the Army to go SF -- they shut him down.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats to All the New Dads !!!

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Thread Information