Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

A Day Of Remembrance...

Pearl Harbor attack remembered at 70th anniversary

December 07, 2011 5:47 AM

AUDREY McAVOY - Associated Press

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii — The Dec. 7, 1941, bombing of Pearl Harbor and those who lost their lives that day are being remembered Wednesday on the 70th anniversary of the Japanese attack that brought the U.S. into World War II.
    About 120 survivors will join Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, military leaders and civilians to observe a moment of silence in Pearl Harbor at 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time — the moment the attack began seven decades ago.
    About 3,000 people are expected to attend the event held each year at a site overlooking the sunken USS Arizona and the white memorial that straddles the battleship.
    The Pearl Harbor-based guided missile destroyer USS Chung-Hoon will render honors to the Arizona and blow its whistle at the start of a moment of silence at 7:55 a.m. — the same time 70 years ago the first Japanese planes began to attack.
    F-22 jets flown by the Hawaii National Guard are due to soar overhead in a missing man formation to finish the moment of silence.
    Mal Middlesworth, a Marine veteran who was on the USS San Francisco during the bombing, will deliver the keynote address.
    President Barack Obama hailed veterans of the bombing in a statement proclaiming Wednesday "National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day."
    "Their tenacity helped define the Greatest Generation and their valor fortified all who served during World War II. As a nation, we look to December 7, 1941, to draw strength from the example set by these patriots and to honor all who have sacrificed for our freedoms," he said.
    Also this week, five ash scattering and interment ceremonies are being held for five survivors whose cremated remains are returning to Pearl Harbor after their deaths.
    On Tuesday, an urn containing the ashes of Lee Soucy was placed on his battleship, the USS Utah, which is lying on its side near the place where it sank 70 years ago. The ashes of Vernon Olsen, who was on the Arizona during the attack, will be placed on his ship late Wednesday.
    The U.S. lost 12 vessels that day, but the Arizona and the Utah are the only ones still sitting in the harbor. The ashes of three others are being scattered in the water in separate ceremonies this week.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Meaning no dis-respect at all, but I was always lead to believe the Arizona went down with all hands. Athough it was hard to believe, I thought it true. Good to get a piece of history cleared up.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    70 years ago the world changed forever. A sleeping dogs cage was rattled and the dog woke up angry and out for revenge. Most survivors of Pearl Harbor are in their late 80's and early 90's now. May all who perished on that day forever be at rest

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    My mother was only 12 years old. But she still remembers both her older brothers, who had already served in the military, going to Abilene, Tx. and reenlisting, 2 days later. Pearl Harbor, unified America in a way it had never been before or ever been since.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member

3 Mistakes at Peral Harbor..

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Tour boats ferry people out to the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii every thirty minutes.
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']We just missed a ferry and had to wait thirty minutes. I went into a small gift shop to kill time. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']In the gift shop, I purchased a small book entitled, "Reflections on Pearl Harbor" by Admiral Chester Nimitz.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Sunday, December 7th, 1941--Admiral Chester Nimitz was attending a concert in Washington D.C. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']He was paged and told there was a phone call for him. When he answered the phone, [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']it was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He told Admiral Nimitz that he (Nimitz) would now be [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']the Commander of the Pacific Fleet. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Admiral Nimitz flew to Hawaii to assume command of the Pacific Fleet. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']He landed at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Eve, 1941. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']There was such a spirit of despair, dejection and defeat--you would have thought [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']the Japanese had already won the war. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']On Christmas Day, 1941, Adm. Nimitz was given a boat tour of the destruction wrought [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese. Big sunken battleships and navy vessels cluttered the waters [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']every where you looked. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']As the tour boat returned to dock, the young helmsman of the boat asked, "Well admiral, [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']what do you think after seeing all this destruction?" [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Admiral Nimitz's reply shocked everyone within the sound of his voice. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Admiral Nimitz said, "The Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could ever make, [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']or God was taking care of America. Which do you think it was?" [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Shocked and surprised, the young helmsman asked, "What do mean by saying the Japanese [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']made the three biggest mistakes an attack force ever made?" [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Nimitz explained: [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Mistake number one: the Japanese attacked on Sunday morning. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Nine out of every ten crewmen of those ships were ashore on leave. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']If those same ships had been lured to sea and been sunk--we would have lost 38,000 men [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']instead of 3,800. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Mistake number two: when the Japanese saw all those battleships lined in a row, [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']they got so carried away sinking those battleships, they never once bombed our dry docks opposite those ships. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']If they had destroyed our dry docks, we would have had to tow everyone of those ships [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']to America to be repaired. As it is now, the ships are in shallow water and can be raised. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']One tug can pull them over to the dry docks, and we can have them repaired and at sea [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']by the time we could have towed them to America . [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']And I already have crews ashore anxious to man those ships. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Mistake number three: Every drop of fuel in the Pacific theater of war is on top of the ground [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']in storage tanks five miles away over that hill. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']One attack plane could have strafed those tanks and destroyed our fuel supply. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']That's why I say the Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could make, [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']or God was taking care of America .[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    The above text was aborted and totally FUBARED because I exceeded that silly 5 minute window... please excuse the text...!!!!

Attachment 9300

Please take a moment today to remember those Braves Souls who gave their lives 70 years ago today.

Last edited by MOS4429; 12-07-11 at 10:49 AM. Reason: fix

I remember it well!

All of a sudden a people reluctant to mix into other peoples' fight were singing: "We did it before and we'll do it again!"

Japan's Admiral Yamamoto was right on the money when he opined: "We have awakened a sleeping giant."

My wife takes care of a Pearl Harbor survivor in a nursing home,Never Forget,Semper Fidelis.

I had to tell the jackasses at the work today to put the flag at half mast. Back when the U.S.A. actually had balls.

Hey Mike, way to go !

Always Remember,,,,Pass It On!

When I was in 5th grade, my favorite teacher would occasionally be persuaded to tell her story... She was a little girl on Hawaii, age 11 as I recall, on Dec 7th 1941. The Japs flew low over her house on the hill and everyone in her family ran outside to see what was happening when the bombs started going off. She remembers that a Japanese pilot actually waived to her as he flew past. In the aftermath of the attack they found a few bullet holes in their house. In hindsight I suppose they could have been spent projectiles from friendly fire returning to earth just as easily... but to my 5th grade mind they had to be Jap bullets.
    Her stories of what life was like immediately after the attack, and of the days, weeks, and months after that inspired my interest in WWII History which continues to this day... Thanks Mrs. baker - where ever you are.

Brian

ON THE HOME FRONT: FROM READERS' DIGEST-"ALBUM OF SONGS THAT WON THE WAR. I'LL BE SEEING YOU":

Using it up and doing without
    Painting stripes up the backs of our legs for make-believe hose
    Listening to Glenn Miller with tears in our eyes
    V-Mail
    F.D.R.'s fireside chats
    Star's hanging from banners in front porches
    Ration Books
    Saving fat to save lives, and buying war bonds
    with our spare cash
    Dreaming of a world without war.

Thread Information