Hopeful Marine Officer
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Hopeful Marine Officer

Hello everyone and thank you for you service as Marine,

I am 20 year old college student who grew up wanting to be a marine. The college I am at only has Army ROTC because im waiting to get my AA and transfer to a university. Where we PT the Marines are there PT-ing everyday. I signed to go to Basic and AIT with the Army and come back and contract with ROTC. I am now regretting my decision to go the army route instead of the MARINE route. Everyday when I PT with the Army I see the Marines doing PT and I wish i was one of them. I cant explain how bad i want to be a Marine and serve my country as a Marine.

My question to you is would the Marine Corps Officer programs except me if i decided to get an entry level separation from the army?

My ROTC Captain told me I will never serve again if I do so. BUT it states clearly you only need a waiver for the branch you previously tried to enlist in.

My GOAL is to become an OFFICER and serve as a MARINE not an army soldier.

Please only legitimate responses. Im going to serve my country either way but id rather be a MARINE.

THanks Matt Johnson

First, don't tell us what sort of responses to make, ok? It's not your place to do so.

To answer the question, if all you are is on DEP to the army with no other commitments, getting out of it isn't difficult, but can be a pain. The Marine Corps won't look at you differently if you do, if you explain it basically the way you did here. It's not optimal, of course, but if that is what you want to do, then DO IT.

Again, it'll require more of an explanation and extra paperwork, but that's about it.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you I appreciate it. Sorry for the disrespect there was none intended.

Didn't take it as disrespect, just a lack of knowledge. No worries, carry on.

If you apply to a Marine Officer Program with an entry level separation from any service, the odds of getting a contract are next to none. In the current environment, Marine Officer Program slots are difficult for anyone to get, and spaces are extremely competitive - so any kind of waiver is extremely rare.

My advice - start talking to a Marine Officer Selection Office as soon as possible. There are routes that you can take that can get you from your Army contract into a Marine Officer Program - or even NROTC - just like the route that gets you into Army ROTC... but face it, the Army is not going to assist YOU in transferring over to the Marines - they lose a contrat and gain nothing. They will, however, work with the OSO's office to make that transfer work - no doubt with a little quid pro quo between the recruiters' offices.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you,

I am working on getting nothing on my record.

My MEPS guidance counselor told me if i didn't sign it would be the end of my military career all together.

I am gathering my info and proper army regulations and sending them to my commanding officer.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJohns9 View Post
    I am gathering my info and proper army regulations and sending them to my commanding officer.
    That's fine, but I would suggest you take the Major's advice and contact an OSO as soon as possible.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you i will contact the Marine corp OSO today. Should i just tell him my situation and see what he says?

Thank you i will contact the Marine corp OSO today. Should i just tell him my situation and see what he says?
    That's Marine Corps.....and yes, tell him/her your situation.

Thank you both, Major and Captain, for answering that far better than I could have.

Matt, keep us updated.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for all the help!

I talked to the OSO a week ago told him my situation. He said it should not be a problem at all. He told me once I get my Entry Level Separation that we will talk serious business, he doesnt wanna talk serious now out of professional courtesy to the guard.

thank you all!

Now my question is what can i do to prepare myself for OCS/PLC?

I am 20 year old college student who grew up wanting to be a marine. The college I am at only has Army ROTC because im waiting to get my AA and transfer to a university. Where we PT the Marines are there PT-ing everyday. I signed to go to Basic and AIT with the Army and come back and contract with ROTC. I am now regretting my decision to go the army route instead of the MARINE route. Everyday when I PT with the Army I see the Marines doing PT and I wish i was one of them. I cant explain how bad i want to be a Marine and serve my country as a Marine.

My question to you is would the Marine Corps Officer programs except me if i decided to get an entry level separation from the army?

My ROTC Captain told me I will never serve again if I do so. BUT it states clearly you only need a waiver for the branch you previously tried to enlist in.

Please only legitimate responses. Im going to serve my country either way but id rather be a MARINE.

THanks Matt Johnson

NM

THanks Matt Johnson
    Glad you went to talk to an OSO. Remember that you still have to be selected and there are no guarantees so train hard! Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    LT Mathis what do you mean by NM?

I had written something else, but the basic thought had already been posted, so I changed it to nm - never mind.

Thread Information