I want to join the Marines as an officer and become a fighter pilot.
Create Post

I want to join the Marines as an officer and become a fighter pilot.

What are my chances of becoming a fighter (F18) pilot in the Marines?
    I know the process to become one: get a degree and complete OCS and ect.

About me:
    I graduate college in a year or so I am an average student (C+, B- GPA).
    I keep myself in tip top shape (heavy cardio and some lifting).
    I meet all physical requirements for the f18.
    I plan on beginning to earn my pilot license this week.

I want to join to be a part of something great and become a strong leader and serve my country. I've talked to a recruiter but I have been told that they will promise you many things and always sound confident, so basically I am asking: Do I have a strong chance of becoming a fighter pilot? What will give me an excellent advantage on becoming one?
    I am nervous to sign up and fail at getting the job desired.

You may want to talk face-to-face with a OSO - Officer Selection Officer................
    and no one here knows what your chances are at becoming a Marine fighter pilot.

The Officer Selection Officer
    http://officer.marines.com/marine/ma...ection_officer

Marine Officer
    http://officer.marines.com/marine/global/faq

THE PATH TO BECOMING A MARINE CORPS OFFICER
    http://www.marineofficerprograms.com...course-occ.php

Officer Candidates School
    http://www.trngcmd.usmc.mil/OCS/default.aspx

ABCs of the ASVAB
    ASVAB and Commissioning
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...commission.htm

Marine Corps Officer Job Descriptions
    Main Menu
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/offic...erjobsmenu.htm

Thank you for the links. I have actually already looked at most of them doing my own research. My main concern now is finding out what training may be useful to have before going to OCS, to make me a stronger candidate to become an f18 pilot.
    And I definitely think you are right about talking face to face with an OSO.

You can't post in this forum, The Drifter's Place, but have you read this topic yet......

How do I become a fighter pilot?
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59589

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm a retired EA-6 driver. Commissioned in '78 received my wings in '81. There is no such thing as a qualified F-18 driver. You'll be tested till your tail is dragging both physically and mentally. After the powers that be are through with you they will consider your request for fighters but if you don't pack the gear by their standards, not yours, you'll be assigned to some other bird. Also take into consideration the need of the service, you go where they need you not where you want to go

Marine Air is traditionally a ground support element. You'll be needed more in VSTOL type aircraft rather than fighters. And don't be sold a bill of goods by Top Gun etc, the days of epic dog fights are over. The last American air ace flew in Nam.

The process is long and difficult and you'll be required to serve at least 7 years which doesn't begin until you earn those gold wings. So you'll be in at least for 9 or 10 years if you go fixed wing. But good luck to you

I was air traffic control while I was active duty. so I dealt with the pilots on a daily basis. If you did not do NROTC in college you must apply for OCS as you know already. It is highly competitive and current enlisted Marines get priority for OCS over anyone, regardless of how well you may do in College. If you are lucky enough to get accepted to OCS you will be in for one Hell of a challenge. You could also consider going enlisted first, then apply to OCS once your in and go Officer that way. You will enter the Corps as an E-3 with your Degree if you complete it. You would have a better chance if you were enlisted first. Not saying you have to but that is another option you have.

Also like the Commander said, you will not get to pick what aircraft you fly, the powers that be who are above you decide based on the current needs of the Military at the time. You may get the F-18 but I would look at another aircraft to be on the safe side, as well as Helicopters since you will be considered as a possible candidate for both fixed-wing and rotary aircraft.

Good luck to you in your pursuit to become a Marine.

At this point, focus on getting accepted to OCS. As others have mentioned, it is very competitive at this point. I heard a General Officer about a month or so ago say that the average candidate runs about a 290 PFT, has a 1250 SAT, and 3.5 GPA. (So it's not only about the PFT!)

If I were in your shoes, I would spend the rest of my time in school focusing on my GPA. I'd also go see my OSO and talk about preparing for the OCS selection board. Get you're package into the board before worrying about F-18 training...

Hope that gives you some more guidance.

As others have said, you don't just get to pick what plane you fly, its what the Marine Corps decides. Also, I agree with the others, focus right now on your GPA and actually getting into OCS, then once you have accomplished that, then focus on the F-18. Everything will fall into place after that.

Thank you, this is much needed help. But how much would it help to have my pilot lisence? Is that something that would be taken in consideration? Also is it worth becoming an officer? What is your experiences?

I don't think having your pilot license would help much, if at all. I'm guessing that most new officers do not have pilots licenses when they sign for an air contract. I would suggest saving yourself the time and expense, and focus your efforts an securing an air contract.

Is becoming an officer worth while? For me it has been the most worth while thing I have ever done. If you look at my profile, you will notice that my undergrad is in music. What does that have to do with anything, you might wonder. Well, for me teaching and mentoring others has always been a part of my career plans. Ultimately I decided to exert my efforts leading and mentoring our nations most valuable assets (Marines) rather than teaching and mentoring in a musical setting. So for me, I'm getting to 'live the dream' and (hopefully) make a positive difference in the life of Marines I lead and serve.

If you look at many of my previous posts, you should notice a common thread. But I'll restate it here anyway: being an officer is about service to those you lead. It has much less to do with your particular job (whether you become that fabled F-18 pilot, or are assigned the 3404 MOS like me), and is all about leading Marines -- setting a positive example, developing Marines through education, training, and mentorship, delegating authority and responsibility to build their experience, etc.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by RiteCoastRipper View Post
    Thank you, this is much needed help. But how much would it help to have my pilot lisence? Is that something that would be taken in consideration? Also is it worth becoming an officer? What is your experiences?

Short answer is not much. The expense to obtain your private ticket far out weighs the benefits at this stage of your life. By having a license you'll by pass IFS (Intro Flight Screening) school. All it does is show the Navy that you can solo after about 15-20 hrs of instruction. Why not let them pick up the tab? Once you enter into the pipeline, all the bad habits you've acquired as a civilian pilot will be drilled out of you anyway.

As the Capt. said, concentrate on becoming an officer first. Flight school will come after OCS and TBS so it's a bit into the future

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I can tell you this. In the Marine Corps, Officers have our deepest respect. No matter what their mos is.

Is it worth becoming an officer?

Put it this way, YOU CANNOT become an F-18 pilot, or any kind of pilot in the military, in any branch unless your an Officer. With the exception of some rare cases where Warrant Officers can be helicopter pilots, but that's mainly in the Army.

Ok, Thank you all again for your input. This was much help.

I'm currently in flight school, and was TAD at an officer selection station about a year ago, so I thought I'd add some more info for anyone interested.

Getting into OCS is hard and becoming harder with the economy/impending draw down. That said, the easiest way to get selected in to apply to the PLC program. Officer Candidates attend OCS either during college, or following graduation. For those in college, during summer breaks, students attend PLC. For PLC, the required GPA, PFT, etc are MUCH lower than post college OCS (OCC). For PLC, you could reasonably expect to get selected with a 3.0 GPA, 260 PFT. If you wait for graduation and OCC, you'll need a 3.3+ and 290+. Once you make it to OCS, statistically two out of three make it through and earn a commission.

Next up is The Basic School. Six months of hating life as you learn the basics of being a rifle platoon commander. You get out of it what you put into it. You have to suck at life to fail out, but it does happen.

Once you finally get to flight school it's entirely individual effort. The attrition rate is fairly significant (I don't have a hard number for you). If you do make it though, for this fiscal year, you'd have a 22% chance of selecting jets. Once you select jets, you are not guaranteed F18s Generally the top performer gets his first pick, the next chunk of Lt's are given Harriers and the "bottom" performers get Hornets. A couple Lt's are assigned Prowlers, but they are the minority. There's some mixing and matching based Lieutenant desires and needs of the Corps, but that's generally how it usually pans out.

How to get started: Enroll full time in an accredited college in an easy major that you can get a high GPA in, get your PFT up and contact your local Officer Selection Officer (not the same thing as a recruiter). It's a long road, but it's worth it.

Thread Information