Bronze Star? Am I missing something? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    well i did get a bronze star in nam with a combat v on it ,its in a drawer someplace here in the house plus i could pin it on my jacket and go to mick d,s i would still have to pay 1.50 for a cup of coffee so i dont care who gets one or how they did get it but i earned mine the hard way

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    also medals dont feed a persons family or pay the bills to make a liveing

No they don't. They're just pieces of medal and fragments of colorful cloth pinned to the chest of a person who was admired and respected by his peers. The medal is not for you, but is an affirmation for others to witness your deed and sacrifice. If not yet, let me be the first to say, "Thank you for your service."

S/F

Dont mean nothin

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingcrops View Post
    I don't know but maybe someone here can enlighten me. Living in the DC area I run into a lot of service members. Today I met a young Army guy who told me he got the Bronze Star in Afghanistan. I asked about the circumstances of how he got his award.
    Get this one. He is an office pog and he was the only one working in the office. Since there was no one else he had to do everything that was work that would have been done by an E-6 or above. For this the Army command decided he should get the Star.
    Now I might be wrong but isn't something like that supossed to be for bravery in action? Or is it because I'm a Viet vet and I saw true heros doing their jobs in bad situations. Or is it just because it's the Army?
    I don't get it and I've been having trouble wrapping my mind around this all day. What do you Marines think?

Aggregating isn’t it. I was put in for the Bronze Star, and never got one the request never went beyond company level. The CO felt it wasn’t warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Aggregating isn’t it. I was put in for the Bronze Star, and never got one the request never went beyond company level. The CO felt it wasn’t warranted.
    It wasn't warranted because for us what we did was normal Marine duty. Hell, I didn't even get a heart, not that I'm bittchen.

I am currently at the Pentagon, so I see officers....EVERYWHERE...and it is common to see the Bronze Star with NO V device as the highest personal award for many officers around here, especially, Army, Navy and Air Force. I do see some Marines with them, but alot fewer. I would almost venture to say if it is Army above Lt. Col, they have a Bronze Star...Just saying. Semper.

Yup. Concur. "Meritorous paperwork in a combat zone without suffering a serious powerpoint injury".

What's the big deal here? When a military person performs an act of valor, a "V" is placed upon the Bronze Star. When a person performs his or her duties beyond what is expected under difficult circumstances, they a BS as a kind of "high letter of accommodation". When I was in Vietnam, my buddy and I were both recommened for a BS for meritorious service in a combat zone (not valor). My friend got his, but I did not. It seems that I was awared a Meritorous Mass during the same period and the Corps said "only one award for the same service." Good for my friend! He worked damn hard and earned the recognition. 8 years later I was awarded the Joint Service Accommodation Medal for meritorious service while serving in a joint command unit. When it comes to the BS without the "V" device, just let it go...no big deal. Not every medal is for combat. In the old days, getting the good conduct medal was a big deal because very few were earned...today almost everyone gets one. It was such a big deal that the Navy had red and gold chevrons. Having served in the Army National Guard and being deployed to Iraq, I can say that the Army, like the Air Force, gives ribbons away for trivial things like completing NCO schools, overseas service, and a few others. But in so far as the normal medals go, there is very little difference between the services. You do have to stand out a bit more in the Corps, but the Corps does hand them out for meritorious service as well.

Embarrassing i think

Awards like the BS and the PH should be reserved for marines, soldiers or whoever acted valiantly in combat. It ****es me the **** off when some boot ass pogs get a combat medal for doing their ****ing job. Then to wear it and think they deserve it is even worse. Its like they dont give a **** about the men who actually earned it and what they did in order to get it.

This is just one of the things that disgusts me about the military today, no honor.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You know, in the end its doesn’t matter how many awards you’ve or don’t have, when you die no one remembers anyway;.

Quote Originally Posted by whlee92 View Post
    Awards like the BS and the PH should be reserved for marines, soldiers or whoever acted valiantly in combat. It ****es me the **** off when some boot ass pogs get a combat medal for doing their ****ing job. Then to wear it and think they deserve it is even worse. Its like they dont give a **** about the men who actually earned it and what they did in order to get it.

This is just one of the things that disgusts me about the military today, no honor.
    You have the same problem as many others...you have it fixed in your head that the certain awards are for combat valor only....not true! Meritorious service in a combat zone can be equally as rewarding. It may seem hard for some to believe, but it is true. Just think about it...some comm or computer guy manages to keep the equipment going back at the switching center during a critcial period for the guys out in the field. Without his "extra hours of keeping the circuit going during a combat operation and his expert knowledge of..." may have been what saved that Marine's butt out in the field. The combat arms are only one part of a vast array of jobs. There are stories of men who earned the BS and other medals because they were able to keep aircraft flying, trucks moving, etc., without which the guys in the field may have never received the air support they needed, the ammo and food they needed, etc... get the picture? Don't ever under estimate the importance of the dedicated mechanic or a radio repairman or anyone else in a support role. You might be surprised to learn just how many "in the field" Marines and Soldiers were saved by their hard work. The same goes for the civilian world...if the job wasn't important, it wouldn't exists. Have respect for everyone, especially those that work extra hard for others.

Thread Information