Underweight
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underweight

Underweight

Good afternoon, Marines.

Before I ask my question, I would just like to preface by saying that I have tried the search function. When attempting to search, the box for the verification code shows up blank. I have tried three different web browsers, all with the same outcome, so I apologize if I annoy you with a question you've been asked a million times.

I would say I'm in decent physical shape. 18 pull-ups, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and a 3 mile slightly over 19 minutes. I know I have improving to do, but I've been trying to get in shape before seeing a recruiter. The problem for me though is I'm a typical hard gainer. Standing at 5'10" I weigh a whopping 125 pounds. I take in 3500+ calories a day, and my stomach can't really handle much over 4000 as I'm a small guy. All the running preparation hasn't helped much with weight gain either. Even if I gained the weight now by not running (tried this too, doesn't work), I would lose it all quickly in boot camp. I'm lean, but even with compound weight lifting I can't seem to bulk up and fill out.

I've even tried the bull**** "weight gainers" from GNC, and that just ends up being a waste of $70. I know about protein and carbs and all that jazz, my body just doesn't seem to adapt to it.

NOW, after that novel, I would like to ask if I'm doomed to join the Corps. Should I even bother seeing a recruiter if I can't even meet the minimum weight of 132 pounds? Will the recruiters give me a chance, or just look at me like I'm too puny to be a part of your organization?

Sorry if this is a waste of your time.

Talk to a recruiter and see if they can waive it. Although it was a long time ago, I weighed about the same as you do now when I went in. I understand how you feel about not being able to gain weight, as I used to have the same problem. Good luck to you.

Alright, thanks Sergeant Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by elliscraig12 View Post
    Talk to a recruiter and see if they can waive it. Although it was a long time ago, I weighed about the same as you do now when I went in. I understand how you feel about not being able to gain weight, as I used to have the same problem. Good luck to you.
    Adding onto this, as the Marine Corp and all military branches are trying to downsize, it is becoming harder and harder to get waivers. So think of it this way, if you are heart set on becoming a Marine, you should stick your head into a Recruiters office and get involved. You have to be proactive in a situation like that. Best of luck.

Pfc Abinader

I've heard about the cutting down, and I want this more than anything. I'll definitely try to get in contact with a recruiter sometime this week, now. Thanks for the advice Pfc Abinader. It's appreciated.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    With those scores I'm sure you will have no problem getting a waiver for your weight. I got one, i gained weight in boot camp no problem and i had the same hard time gaining weight in the gym. I recently got sick and lost like 15lbs though so I'm back to being lean.

Awesome. Hearing stuff like that really inspires me. With a waiver for being underweight, are you automatically a double rat, or do the Drill Instructors decide that?

Credits
    Savings
    I used ---- to have that not able to gain weight problem. LOL
    older I get the heavier I gets

Long as you carry your share wasn't a problem back in the day

Actually a smaller frame gave me more stamina ,the grit came natural

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester92 View Post
    Awesome. Hearing stuff like that really inspires me. With a waiver for being underweight, are you automatically a double rat, or do the Drill Instructors decide that?

Unless sick bay says something, the Drill Instructors decide. You have a better than average chance of being a double-rat recruit. But you get no extra time to eat it unless the DIs put you at the head of the line.

When I joined, there was no such thing as minimum weight. I weighed 128 when I joined and was 6 foot tall. I didn't even cast a shadow when the sun was out. When I got out of Boot Camp I was maybe 135 of greased lightning. Now that I am much older I have packed it on to the tune of 225 and was up to 245 at one time. Don't worry about being slim.

I used to have all my hogs pair off with the skinny ones and the hogs gave all their good food to the skinny ones. Hogs and skinny pvts were at head of the line at mess hall. All pvts ate everything they took on their trays, like it or not. Hogs ended up with mostly rabbit food.

Don't worry about being thin, someday you will wish you were again.

Jester, I know how you feel. When I joined, I was 5'10 weighing 132lbs, went to boot camp and came out about the same size. With all the running and such I couldn't gain much weight, and I've never really been the type of person to get bigger from the gym. Since then though, I have gained 50lbs or so. I noticed after I joined the Marine Corps, I started eating differently and hitting the gym was easier as most of the Marines I know are "Physical Trainers" in technical sense.

And as Pfc Abinader stated, the only real way the recruiter will notice your interest is if you drop by. And no, that doesn't mean dropping in for a one time notice. You'll need to continuously show your face around them. PT with them.

And as Old Marine stated,
    Don't worry about being thin, someday you will wish you were again.

Thanks Marines. It's great to read your success stories. It gave me the confidence boost needed to finally be pro active in achieving my goal NOW, rather than later. I've always had a problem with procrastination, and I seem to catch myself giving "good" excuses to put it off "just a little longer."

And Cpl Little, I've thought about that myself. Maybe when I immerse myself in that type of environment the physical changes will come along.

Thanks again.

Can add nothing about being qualified or not.

Your weight gain issue has to do with your metabolism. Some people burn more calories than others. You are one of those.

You know this I am sure that you gain weight by consuming more calories than you burn. You might try eating more calorie dense foods, which does not always mean eating at Micky D's every day or your favorite pogie bait. Generally speaking, the higher the fat or oil content of a food, the more calories. You say you cannot eat over 4,000 calories a day. That's probably your cutoff mark for your body and you will need to consume 5000+.

Some calorie dense foods are nuts, dried fruits, plant oils, potatoes, pasta, breads, avacadoes, peanut butter, beans, cheeses, meats such as salami, pepperoni, sausage, but red meats and pork are more calorie dense than chicken or turkey. And in your situation, well, you might have to pig out a bit on some junk food, as long as you are not looking at a long-term situation. Some of those foods are hamburgers. For instance, a double whopper with cheese is 1061 calories. Add some fries and a coke and you're upwards of 1700 calories. That's almost half of what you are currently consumming. Ice cream, pudding, chips, cheesecake, candybars, pizza, to name a few are calorie dense foods.

You can easily google how many calories you are burning by your present activity level. When I was a young kid wanting to play football, I was underweight by 5 pounds. I pigged out for a week eating all kinds of dense foods my mom got for me, and I made it on weigh-in day.

The way the Marine Corps deals with recruits who are underweight, or at least to, is put them on double rations. You would have this little color coded tag you wear and when you go through the chow line, they see it and give you a double portion. If you are a fat body, it is the opposite with half portions.

You can also do some google research about how to gain weight. You said you can't find anything specific on this website. I just entered in bing, "how can I gain weight," and the first hit is http://nutrition.about.com/od/dietsf...GainWeight.htm

Good info.

On the weightlifting thing, without seeing your plan, the way you put on bulk muscle is lifting upwards of 85 to 98% of the maximum you can lift for each exercise with low repetitions. When I competed in powerlifting, and in the competitive phase of training, whether 8 or 12 week cycle, I may do 5 to 8 sets and never more than 5 repetitions, mostly because the 5th rep was it. Then up the weight, four reps, up the weight, 3, etc. When I started PL'g, I competed in the 181 category on my first comp, and on my last I competed in the 242 category. My weight was over the standard, and I would go in to get a fat measurement and usually came out in the 7 to 8% category, so it was lean muscle mass.

Good luck with this. You can do it, but it will mean making a few changes in areas you might not want to do.

Thanks for all the info. I've basically just been eating a bunch of chicken, beef, fish, rice, peanut butter sandwiches, bananas, almonds, eggs, and lots of pasta. I think I'm gonna go with your Micky D's idea because I don't really have to worry about retaining fat much.

For muscle building, are calories just calories for someone like me, or do they have to be from eating clean calories?

I do a lot of deads, squats, bench presses, dips, and trying to improve on weighted pull ups. I usually lift within the 7-8 rep range. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I'll try going heavier and lower.

Oh, and I'll also try pyramid sets, too. Never done that before.

Last edited by Jester92; 12-05-11 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added more

Quote Originally Posted by Jester92 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I've basically just been eating a bunch of chicken, beef, fish, rice, peanut butter sandwiches, bananas, almonds, eggs, and lots of pasta. I think I'm gonna go with your Micky D's idea because I don't really have to worry about retaining fat much.

For muscle building, are calories just calories for someone like me, or do they have to be from eating clean calories?

I do a lot of deads, squats, bench presses, dips, and trying to improve on weighted pull ups. I usually lift within the 7-8 rep range. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I'll try going heavier and lower.

Oh, and I'll also try pyramid sets, too. Never done that before.
    You cannot build muscle without protein. So not sure about the "clean" calories, but 30% of your daily intake should be protein. Protein is made up of amino acids, necessary for building muscle. You can take amino acids, too, if you want, but not sure if they do much.

Muscle is protein and water mostly. So drink a lot of water when you work, out and after especially. I actually hate to recommend Micky D to anybody. It's next to eating poison! I would recommend the calorie dense foods first.

7-8 reps is not bad. If you are doing deads, squat, bench, those are the PL lifts. You would do light weights of 10 reps, couple sets for warm-up. When I would be at the far end of a cycle, say at week 1 of 12, I'd be doing 5 sets of reps in the area of 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, and at week 12 would be doing 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. It is all percentages. You find out what your max is and at week 1, your heavest set may be on 65-70% of your max, but at week 12 it will be 98%. Take the bench. Say you max out at 300 and you want to lift 325. At week 1, your heavy set is 65%, so that's 211 or rounded at 210. You'd be looking at something like 2 x 10 at 135, 1x10 at 170, 1 x 8 at 180, 1 x 6 at 190, 1 x 5 at 200 and 1 x 4 at 210. You will add about 10 pounds a week. 325 minus 210 divided by 12 = 9.58. So week 2, warm up sets, sets of 9, 8, 6, 5, 4, etc. By the time you are at week 12, you are looking at 1 x 10 at 135, 1 x 10 at 155, 1 x 3 at 205, 1 x 1 at 250. That is all warm-up. You want to load your muscles up to start weight to avoid injury. You would then be doing 5 @ 285, 4 @ 295, 3 @ 305, 2 @ 315, and 1 @ 325. That's the basic idea. You can extrapolate from that to develop your own program based on what you can do, and that's what we'd do in the 3 core lifts. I'd lift this way for each core once a week, and when I hit it the second time, it was 70% of that week's heavy. I lifted 4 days a week.

Everything else, curls, tripress, lat pull downs, incline, decline, mindbusters, whatever you develop for your accompanying work we'd do 3 x 10 at a heavy weight that starts lighter week 1 and also increases.

Thread Information