Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question??

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question??

Hello Marines and all,
    I have a question, I've been trying to find out some info on my deceased father that who was in the marine corp. many many years ago.
    I received a letter from the national personnel records center with a form to fill out, for an offical military personnel file (OMPF). I'm just wondering if anyone knows just what all is included in this file?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

Official personnel file containing everything recorded from the day service began till it ended.

Examples of contents:

chronological listing of permanent and temporary duty assignments
    proficiency/conduct marks and fitness reports (performance evaluations)
    awards
    nonjudicial punishment/courts martial (violations of the uniformed code of military justice)
    Rifle/pistol scores/shooting matches
    professional/civilian education completed
    combat history/campains

By the way, your dad was in the Marine Corps and he would appreciate you spelling it correctly.

Plan on this process taking many, many months, in some cases, up to a year. You'll be charged 'by the page' of what they have to copy, but they'll tell you an estimate of what that will be. Many times the Marines service record will also include a photo or photos, of promotion, induction, etc. So could be an added bonus to you.

Good luck, it's well worth doing.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info Sgt. Leprechaun, I appreciate it.
    They stated in the letter I received to send them $60.00 so I've sent it off to them, now I'll just have to wait and see what all they'll send me.
    I miss my father dearly and any information I can find out will be a blessing.
    Again, thanks so much for your reply.
    TSC

No problem. 60.00 means they have numerous pages, which is a good thing!

Credits
    Savings

Received My Dad's Records

I just wanted to post an update:
    Received my dad’s records! I was surprised that I got them so quickly. My father served only 3 years, enlisted Jan. 10, 1947 when he was 18 years old. He was basic infantry (0300) and his MOS’s were Guard (522) Military Police & Corrections (5800) & Rifleman (745). (Please forgive me if I misinterpret the MOS Codes) I always thought that he was a tad bit strict with us kids growing up, lol!
    He got into just a tad bit of trouble, lying down while a sentry on post, firing his weapon at a snake while sentry on post, and the last thing within a week of his enlistment expiring, having intoxicating liquor in his possession without proper authority! He got additional duties for those misconducts! I got a photo, it’s in black & white of course, but I'm so glad I have it.
    His records may not be a LOT of info but its MORE than what I had and well worth every penny!

Many thanks to MSGT Tennessee Top, and SGT Leprechaun
    Semper Fi!

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That's fantastic. I'm glad you got them, and helped fill in your dad's colorful (although not unsurprising for the time) career!

Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The spam bandit strikes again

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Sorry if you think of me as a "Spam" Bandit Sir.
    I only registered with this site to try to find out info about my beloved deceased father.
    Since I have now received his records, there's really no need for me to remain a member of this site. I shall not need to post anymore, at least not here where its seems like I'm not welcome!
    I have the upmost respect for the military that defends this county and for the ultimate sacrifices that many have made. Although it seems like some people are just a bit rude and unpolite for whatever reason.

Sgt.Leprechaun, I would like to "Thank You Sir" for being so kind and polite to me.
    Good Luck & Best Wishes Sir!

Tennessee Top, I'd like to "Thank You as well Sir for correcting me on my spelling of Marine Corps, I hold no grudges towards you, Good Luck & Best Wishes to you as well.

Semper Fi

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Sorry if you think of me as a "Spam" Bandit Sir.
    Glad you got what you were looking for and some of your questions were answered.

In defense of Sgt Bulker....if you look at his post then above that post where Sgt Lep deleteted the post....

11-14-11, 02:04 AM jerseyshuang This message has been deleted by Sgt Leprechaun. Reason: Goodbye, spamturd
    That was what the Sgt was referring to when when he typed....

Good luck to you and thank you for caring about your fathers service.

Aye. You are MOST certainly still welcome, but the choice is yours. Glad you got your Dad's records, too! Most people don't care enough to bother. Hope you learned something from them....and if you need help 'deciphering' them (they can be confusing) by all means drop me a line.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'll type slow cause I know you can't read too fast... shortly after my post about the spammer the spammers post was deleted by a moderator.

Credits
    Savings

Angry Apology

Please accept my deepest apologies Quinbo (Sgt Bulker), when I last posted I did not see where Sgt. Leprechaun had deleted the spammers post.
    Oh, perhaps I WAS reading way too fast and skipped right over where the spammers post was deleted, lol my bad!

Okay, all I wanted to do was say I'm sorry and hopefully you can accept my apology and move forward. By looking at your picture, it sure looks like you're one tough hard a** Marine, I sure wouldn't want to cross paths with you if I were your enemy!

Thanks to you Phantom Blooper for clearing things up. I guess I may have retailated prematurely, SORRY.
    Regardless of what I've posted on this site, I am very grateful I have attained some information about my father and his "not so long service" in the Marine Corps.
    God Bless America!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Glad you got what you were looking for and some of your questions were answered.

In defense of Sgt Bulker....if you look at his post then above that post where Sgt Lep deleteted the post....

That was what the Sgt was referring to when when he typed....

Good luck to you and thank you for caring about your fathers service.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's all good
    We the few try to help the very few in admin by pointing out pure spam and the method I used produces the quickest results.

Take care and please continue because we aint all bad.

Thread Information