Reserve MP or combat engineer help
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reserve MP or combat engineer help

Hello this is my first post on this website after looking at stories for a while now. I couldent find the answer to my question though. I plan on joining the Marine Reserves next year so i can go through my 4 years of college and still become a Marine. After i finish college i want to become a police officer so becoming an MP sounds good but i also like the MOS of Combat Engineer. I've read alot about both of the MOS's but what i want to know is what will i really do in both of the MOS's for the 6 years im in the service, how many times might i get deployed for each Mos, and if anyone has taking either path can you tell me what you went through?

Sorry this is a litttle long and some might not make sense.

Realistically.....being an MP is, nowadays, NOTHING like real world law enforcement. Civilians do most of that on military bases these days. So, quite frankly, I'd tell you to look in another direction unless you really, really, have your heart set on it.

Combat Engineer....you go out and find mines.

BTW...Marine reservists are STILL Marines.

Combat engineer here.

You're not really looking for mines as much as you're looking for IEDs nowadays. But engineers do everything - mine-sweeping, bridging, breaching, fortifications, construction, route and area clearance, demolitions, etc. You can also end up with any kind of unit whether it's infantry, support, or airwing. If you end up with infantry, you'll be sweeping and clearing a lot of IEDs but you'll kind of play the role of an assaultman (they're starting to phase out the 0351s). With support, it's bridges and contruction mostly. Then there's the airwing, which is airfield repair and construction, I hear.

If you have any questions, I can answer them for you.

I'm with a Wing Support Squadron, we deal with a lot of work for the Wing, In Combat Engineers for a Wing Support you'll do more Construction then anything like Rough Hands said. Same as a Wing Squadron, you'll more then likely be doing more Construction then anything seeing as EAF and HE takes care of the Air Field.

And as Sgt Leprechaun stated MPs don't do much military work.On deployments, you'll more then likely be handling Gate Security which means you'll be standing at an ECP for 12 hours. (unless they have enough MPs to do 8 hour shifts). Stateside with Station you'll do Gate Guard for the Bases, typical guard duties, I don't know what the hours are for them. They do a certain rotation every couple of years I believe. You'll do Guard Duty at bases for a certain time (which means you are non-deployable), then you will go to a Deployable unit and do field MP work, which is standing at ECP.

Also, with the Guard Duty, I believe they have rotations every couple of days or so where you will be in the cop car patrolling the streets on base. Don't quote me on that.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thank you all for your imput.

I just want to throw my two cents in there with the fact that MP's got to Fort Leonardwood Missouri to train. Im currently privileged enough to be on FLW and ill tell you that this place is terrible. I'm under going 1341 HE Mech Schooling and It is bitter cold here. I know many of the marines that are in the MP schooling. It is not that great of a choice for Reservists looking to go to school due to the simple fact that MP classes are 14 weeks, and pick up in training once every 4 months. In other words, you will be in Missouri for 4 months doing NOTHING. That is just my two cents. Hope that makes sense..

Thread Information