Anyone Here A Marine With IBS? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Adema1226 View Post
    I posted a thread with this same subject in the "Open Squad Bay", but it was moved to the "Ask A Marine" section, in which I am not allowed to post.

    I've started this thread here so that I will be able to reply and add more information for those who are kind enough to answer.

    Since a lot of people on this board had a laugh at me for not explaining what IBS is, here is my attempt to do so. IBS is a stomach condition that is diagnosed solely by symptoms. There isn't anything wrong with you, it's just the way some people's bodies are built. Symptoms include diarrhea, and urgency. Basically, when I get up in the morning, I develop severe urgency within an hour after waking up and have to go the bathroom immediately. After that, I'm fine. IBS is officially listed as a disqualification for joining the Marines.

    I actually haven't been diagnosed with IBS, but I'm sure I have it. Regardless, I will need to take some prescription medication during my time in the military to control it. Obviously I will need a waiver to do this. I told my recruiter about it and he didn't seem to act like it was a problem, yet. I haven't been to my first MEPS though.

    The reason I started this thread again, was for others out there who are in the military, who have this condition, or know someone who is in the service and has this condition, to have a place where they can offer their opinions, tips, stories, and suggestions. Any of which will be greatly appreciated by myself, and plenty of others as well, as I know for a fact that there are tons of people out there who want to join the military but have IBS.

    Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone for responses and help on this subject.
    HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE IBS IF YOU DIDNT SEE A DOCTOR? WHAT ARE YOUR SYMPTOMS? YES YOU CAN BE DISQUALIFIED REASON BEING YOU CAN GET DEHYDRATED AND YOUR POTTASSIUM CAN GET OUT OF WACK AND THEN YOU WILL HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS BUT I HOPE YOU DONT HAVE IT BECAUSE MY BROTHER DOES. SO GO AND GET DIAGNOSED CORRECTLY DONT ASSUME!!!!! GOOD LUCK

    STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF


  2. #17
    I typically hit the head first thing every morning, but I've never considered my bowels to be irritable.

    Joe Pool, Senior Applications Developer
    USMC Dates: 880823 - 920823; Final Rank: E-4
    PvtShane: "Marines have a high standard, you'll meet it, you have no choice in the matter."
    Avoid Sears Home Improvement!

  3. #18
    If you're worried about crapping your pants while on the Island, you most likely won't go for at least a week, then you'll be regular.


  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Your post lacks logic. You say you have IBS, have not been diagnosed with it, but will need to take prescription medications for it to control it.

    To my knowledge doctors do not prescribed meds for undiagnosed illnesses, and they usually do not prescribe meds to a patient who has made a self-diagnosis.

    You say you recruiter says he didn't seem to act like it was a problem. Why should he act like it is a problem to a potential recruit who has no illness? If it's not diagnosed, it doesn't exist.

    This thread doesn't pass the smell test.

    Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE IBS IF YOU DIDNT SEE A DOCTOR? WHAT ARE YOUR SYMPTOMS? YES YOU CAN BE DISQUALIFIED REASON BEING YOU CAN GET DEHYDRATED AND YOUR POTTASSIUM CAN GET OUT OF WACK AND THEN YOU WILL HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS BUT I HOPE YOU DONT HAVE IT BECAUSE MY BROTHER DOES. SO GO AND GET DIAGNOSED CORRECTLY DONT ASSUME!!!!! GOOD LUCK

    STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF
    I have been to several doctors and have been prescribed medication for it. I just haven't been diagnosed. I asked for this medication and the doctor just said ok and gave it to me. The other doctor said he doesn't believe there is any such thing as IBS.

    Regardless of what doctors say, I've got to go in the morning, whether a bathroom is around or not. I realize this may not be possible in boot camp, and disqualification may not be far off... but I'm still going to try until I get DQ'd officially.


  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    I typically hit the head first thing every morning, but I've never considered my bowels to be irritable.
    How did that work out in boot camp? Could you hold it? The problem with IBS is that after about 30 minutes of holding it, it's gone whether you have a place to go or not. Like I said though, after that first visit I'm usually fine.


  6. #21
    Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

    Abdominal organs and gastrointestinal system


    Small and large intestine.
    Current or history of inflammatory bowel disease, including, but not limited to unspecified (558.9), regional enteritis or Crohn’s disease (555), ulcerative colitis (556), or ulcerative proctitis (556), is disqualifying.

    Current or history of intestinal malabsorption syndromes, including, but not limited to post-surgical and idiopathic (579), is disqualifying.

    Lactase deficiency is disqualifying only if of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention, or to interfere with normal function

    Current or history of gastrointestinal functional and motility disorders within the past 2 years, including, but not limited to pseudo-obstruction, megacolon, history of volvulus, or chronic constipation and/or diarrhea (787.91), regardless of cause, persisting or symptomatic in the past 2 years, is disqualifying.

    Current or history of irritable bowel syndrome (564.1) of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function is disqualifying.

    History of bowel resection is disqualifying.

    Current symptomatic diverticular disease of the intestine is disqualifying.

    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini.../abdominal.htm



  7. #22
    I merged your original thread on this topic with this one.


  8. #23
    Squad Leader Free Member thewookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Waiting/Watching
    Posts
    3,399
    Credits
    7,316
    Savings
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Adema1226 View Post
    I have been to several doctors and have been prescribed medication for it. I just haven't been diagnosed.
    Isn't that special.

    They give you meds for a symptom, but don't diagnose you for it. And people wonder why healthcare is all dorked up.


  9. #24
    Instead of a "self diagnosis" and then saying to the doctor........"hey doc, I have IBS and I need some medication for it." I'm very surprised that he just took your word and gave you what you wanted. Shame on the doctor......
    Why don't you go back to your family doctor and have him run some tests to see if you actually have IBS. Who knows, maybe you're lactose and intolerant and dairy products are bothering you.

    Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms
    http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...rance-symptoms


  10. #25
    Squad Leader Free Member thewookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Waiting/Watching
    Posts
    3,399
    Credits
    7,316
    Savings
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    This reminds me of this kid in bootcamp named Shawgo -- our DI's called him sha-lay-go. I dunno.

    Any way, shawgo was a turd -- got sling palsey at the range, could only do a couple of pullups - well into bootcamp, always a run drop -- the whole nine yards. Sheet bird.

    But the kid was an intell Marine, so I guess they bend the rules for them -- cause this kid should have, and would have never left that Island with an EGA if he was a Grunt.

    Any way.

    Shawgo went to the DI's one day about going to sickcall because he was constipated. No sheet.

    So, after our DI's tried to loosen him up with a little quarterdeck action -- they sent him to sick call.

    A little later he comes back, and we had just returned from chow, we were out front of 2nd BN barracks smoking and joking.

    The DI's see shawgo return and they call him up in front of the platoon. Shawgo has returned from sick call with a full bottle of Metamucil. The DI takes the Metamucil from shawgo, and reads the Doc's instructions out loud, "Take one tablespoon with a canteen of water".

    So, the DI "asks" shawgo to pull out his canteen and open it. Then the DI opens the Metamucil container, peels off the safety lid, and tells shawgo to tilt his head back. LOL

    Then he tells shawgo to open wide.

    He poured the Metimucil in him until it was coming out of his mouth. Then he told him to swallow, and then he told him to drink the whole canteen. He did this again with another canteen and another tilt of the head. I'm thinking 3/4 of the Metamucil was used right there.

    Then, he tells shawgo to fall in, and we went about our business.

    Throughout the day, our DI's would ask shawgo if he had to take a dump.

    And shawgo would sound off, "Sir, No, Sir" -- all loud and motivated.

    Until around 1600.

    At that point we were getting ready for evening chow, so they asked shawgo if he had to go take a dump yet -- and he sounded off "SIR, YES, SIR".

    So they marched us across the quarterdeck and we had chow. LOL

    We get back from chow, and at this point shawgo is definitely turning colors, I'd say he was green-ish. The DI's drive us in front of the barracks and they call shawgo upfront.

    They ask him, again, if he has to go take a dump?

    Now he's looking kinda purple-ish and he sounds off, "SIR, YES, SIR".

    So they say, okay, shawgo head upstairs and take care of your business.

    We were on the third floor.

    The kid took off faster than anything we ever saw from him.......

    He gets about 3/4 of the way to our barracks and they call him back.

    LOLOLOLOLOL -- I'm dying as i type this.

    The kid comes back. LOLOLOL

    They mess with him a little, make him drink from his canteen. And then they send him upstairs.

    About halfway up the stairs the kid just stopped running.

    He had a massive liquified explosion of the rectum, in his draws, on the stairs.

    Man, I miss that place.

    Last edited by thewookie; 01-24-12 at 02:37 PM.

  11. #26

    The Sheets

    Give me a glass of milk and I can Clear an Airport


  12. #27
    Now this is one crappy thread.....


  13. #28
    Marine Free Member sparkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Kingdom of Nye
    Posts
    8,069
    Credits
    7,382
    Savings
    0
    Images
    3
    This thread is up my alley,,,,,,,,,,,


  14. #29
    My computer don't smell so good all of a sudden


  15. #30
    That's hilarious Wookie.

    Adema, as long as you haven't been diagnosed and want to carry on with boot camp with the risk ending up like "Shawgo".. then sign the contract and go to boot camp.

    I actually had a friend in boot camp that said he had IBS but wasn't actually diagnosed with it and he did just fine.. Lucky for him it didn't start acting up until we were almost done when they allowed us to make sit down head calls if it was an emergency... If it were to happen in the start of training.. he most likely would have had to hold it or... end up like Shawgo. I highly doubt you'll be allowed to take your medicines since you're not diagnosed with it so you'll just have to be without that.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts