joint terminal attack controller
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

joint terminal attack controller

Can you choose the 8002 JTAC MOS with non-prior service? Im selecting my MOS soon and this seems to pique my interest. thanks guys.

Fill out your profile. This is will allow us to provide an accurate answer using the most information available.
    Plus, it's part of the rules you agree to when you sign up for Leatherneck. Failing to fill out your profile will get you either a nasty message (FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE) or the entire thread being deleted. Also, we don't want your information so we can steal your identity, it's so we know to whom we are speaking. That means, more than a first name or some sort of nickname like 'C-Dawg'. That, too, will get you banned and/or deleted.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59447

And yes, this does bother me....... how about "thanks Marines, not guys".

Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions

MOS 8002 - - Joint Terminal Attack Controller

Type of MOS : PMOS

Rank Range: MGySgt to SSgt

Job Description: This MOS requires formal Joint Terminal Attack Cont.roller (JTAC) training and certification. It forms the foundation skill set for assignment to appropriate JTAC billet in the operating Forces. A JTAC is a qualified (certified) service member, who from a forward position directs the action of combat aircraft engaged in close air support (CAS), and other offensive air operations. A qualified and current JTAC will be recognized across DoD as capslble and authorized to perform terminal attack control. Mission essential task/skill training for a JTAC is established in the TandR and includes graduation from the Special Operations Spotter Course (SOSC), and the Tactical Air Control Party (TACP) Course at EWTG. Upon successful completion of the TACP Course, the JTAC will be designated combat capable, receive MOS 8002 JTAC, and will return to his unit for completion of the TandR requirements. Only TandR qualified and current JTAC's may conduct Close Air Support (CAS) training operations without specified instructor supervision. Training currency must be documented and certified in the JTAC training record.

Job Requirements:
    (1) Must have a GT score of 110 or higher.

(2) JTAC must be a staff noncommissioned officer.

(3) Must have a secret security clearance based on ENTNAC or NAC.

(4) Must have normal color vision/correctable to 20/20.

(5) Must be a U.S. citizen.

(6) Must have at least two years of obligated time in service remaining upon completion of TACP course.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/8002.htm

I believe i have filled out everything you want me too unless i am missing something. Sorry if i offended you, thank you marines.

I feel stupid for not seeing number 6 on the requirements. I heard somewhere that there was something similiar to the RIP program, and if there isnt how would one go about becoming a JTAC in the future.

No worries. Easy to overlook if you aren't paying close attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    No worries. Easy to overlook if you aren't paying close attention.
    I guess i saw the job description and got excited.

Does anyone know the pipeline to getting into such an MOS, and if it has anything to do with being assigned to and ANGLICO unit?

Credits
    Savings
    ... you want it bad enough, you'll be around for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    ... you want it bad enough, you'll be around for awhile.
    aha yea true, i was just wondering if there was any specific MOS route I would have to take to get to that point. such as 621, or 861

Credits
    Savings
    You really need to READ the site rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    You really need to READ the site rules.
    I fail to see where i am breaking the rules. Im simply interested in a certain MOS and inquiring about it. If you are referring to using the Search bar, i have and found nothing to help with my question.

If i am being annoying, offensive, or just plain stupid please tell me.

I believe he's meaning your grammar Might be a good idea to read our policy on that...

I can't give you a good answer to your question. I'm *guessing* that it's a lat move MOS, meaning they don't really care what you did prior to applying for it. However...this is waaaaaaaay down the road for you, we are talking 2nd enlistment stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I believe he's meaning your grammar Might be a good idea to read our policy on that...

I can't give you a good answer to your question. I'm *guessing* that it's a lat move MOS, meaning they don't really care what you did prior to applying for it. However...this is waaaaaaaay down the road for you, we are talking 2nd enlistment stuff.
    Oh, I see. I will be more careful about that. yea, I guess the best thing is to talk to my recruiter about it, or get lucky and see if anyone in that MOS stumbles upon this. Thanks everyone.

8002 is a secondary MOS, not something you can join as. For the primary MOS 0861 and 0321 you can become an 8002 as a Sergeant, but for other MOS, you must be a Staff Sergeant. The Marine Corp is currently pushing for almost all 0861 Sgt/SSgts to become 8002s as the demand for them in Afghanistan is extremely high with each infantry battalion requiring 3 8002s in addition to the 3 7502(pilot FAC/JTAC) they previously required. These are sourced from the artillery regiments.

ANGLICO also has 8002s, but they only use SSgt and above due to the way they operate, they need the seniority.

Reference: I am an 8002.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean118 View Post
    8002 is a secondary MOS, not something you can join as. For the primary MOS 0861 and 0321 you can become an 8002 as a Sergeant, but for other MOS, you must be a Staff Sergeant. The Marine Corp is currently pushing for almost all 0861 Sgt/SSgts to become 8002s as the demand for them in Afghanistan is extremely high with each infantry battalion requiring 3 8002s in addition to the 3 7502(pilot FAC/JTAC) they previously required. These are sourced from the artillery regiments.

ANGLICO also has 8002s, but they only use SSgt and above due to the way they operate, they need the seniority.

Reference: I am an 8002.
    Thank you very much. That cleared a lot up.

Outside of the 0861 and 0321 fields, I have only met one 8002. He was an 0621 SSgt that was with ANGLICO for quite awhile.

Officer side, 0802(artillery officer), 0302(infantry officer), and pilots of all types can become 8002(if non-pilot) or 7502(pilots). The 7502s are doing a ground tour for 1-2 years. The officer 8002s that I have met are all ANGLICO. All of the officers in my class were Captains and above aside from one Navy LtJG who was with ANGLICO as well.

I can go into further specifics if you have more in depth questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean118 View Post
    Outside of the 0861 and 0321 fields, I have only met one 8002. He was an 0621 SSgt that was with ANGLICO for quite awhile.

Officer side, 0802(artillery officer), 0302(infantry officer), and pilots of all types can become 8002(if non-pilot) or 7502(pilots). The 7502s are doing a ground tour for 1-2 years. The officer 8002s that I have met are all ANGLICO. All of the officers in my class were Captains and above aside from one Navy LtJG who was with ANGLICO as well.

I can go into further specifics if you have more in depth questions.
    the more detail the better I really want this but im afraid to go 8xx and not get 861. I also want infantry and i could always try to better myself and go the recon route, but im no stud by any means.

Thread Information