How much stronger during boot camp?
Create Post

How much stronger during boot camp?

Hello, I hope this is the correct place to ask my question. If not, please tell me and I'll correct it. I'm curious as to how much physical muscle you gain during basic training? I'm 5'11, and 140 pounds, so obviously fairly skinny. Will I gain much strength and size? Thank you for you help.

Actually, most people lose muscle in boot camp. They don't feed you very much, so it's hard to build it. Combine that with the cardio from running and getting ITed, and you definitely aren't going to get bigger.

If you want to look like a roidasaurus, you'll have to wait until you hit the Fleet.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    When you go through the chow line eat spinach....

If you're a runt, they may put you on double rations.

The only thing that will be stronger is your body oder.

You will lose muscle at RT from lack of chow, constant IT, stress, moving around, etc.
    You will gain fat from standing around all day, if you're squared away you won't get IT'd (I got IT'd TWICE in first phase since I was the guide and another recruit messed up), PT is a joke and you don't do a lot of it.
    It didn't seem to matter if you were double rats/half rats/regular... EVERYONE in my platoon lost muscle mass and gained fat.

I would guess one would lose some muscle mass because one isn't pushing steel around in boot camp.
    IMO....it's endurance, stamina and mental toughness that one leaves boot camp with.
    To gain muscle mass one has to lift the weights and adhere to well defined eating protocols over a disciplined amount of time.

That's my take on it.....carry on...

From my experience in three years at MCRD, all I can say is that it will vary from individual to individual. Sounds like you are already pretty lean - so weight loss shouldn't be much of an issue. Some folks lose a lot of weight. Some folks put on 10 - 15 pounds of muscle, and some folks basically stay the same. A lot depends upon your current work outs - what you are doing and how it compares to what you will be doing at MCRD. A lot also depends on your body type.

It is not out of the question that you may complete recruit training with an extra 10 to 15 pounds of muscle. It's also not out of the question that you may graduate weighing exactly the same you do now.

I was about the same size and gained 10lbs.

gain in boot camp

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaham View Post
    Actually, most people lose muscle in boot camp. They don't feed you very much, so it's hard to build it. Combine that with the cardio from running and getting ITed, and you definitely aren't going to get bigger.

If you want to look like a roidasaurus, you'll have to wait until you hit the Fleet.
    Things must have changed since 1961 when I graduated from boot camp.We were very well fed,lots of foot tons of PT.I gained nearly 20# and grew an inch in height.Fat boys lost the rest of us gained weight which was all muscle.What are they feeding these days?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I gained around 12 pounds in boot camp. i was supposed to be on double rats but i never got it. I just went through the chow line and got as much food as i could. Get the veggies and fruit like oranges. Helps keep you healthy because i got sick around 2nd phase and ended up losing all the weight i gained and i lost a lot of strength. I'm still sick as I'm writing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Kuzmicz View Post
    I gained around 12 pounds in boot camp. i was supposed to be on double rats but i never got it. I just went through the chow line and got as much food as i could. Get the veggies and fruit like oranges. Helps keep you healthy because i got sick around 2nd phase and ended up losing all the weight i gained and i lost a lot of strength. I'm still sick as I'm writing this.
    I don't get it.Are you still a recruit?If so how are you able to access the internet?I feel like I'm from another century-come to think of it I am.Internet access in boot camp,my god I am from the old Corps.

cubawatcher.......poolee Kuzmicz is now a Marine. He really should PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to change his status to Marine, and to have his user name changed also.

Poolee Kuzmicz

just came back
    Shipped Aug 29th
    Grad Nov 23rd
    1stBn Alpha Co.
    Plt 1093
    SDI Ssgt Howard
    Heavy Ssgt Webb
    Kill Ssgt Eagan
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/se...archid=4119112

Thread Information