Question about running shoes at OCS.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question about running shoes at OCS.

Hello all. i am slated to go to OCS this coming may. i have read that i am going to bring my own running shoes. i was considering switching to new balance minimus trail shoes, but im unsure if i am alowed to use minimalist running shoes. any advice would help, thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    You will be issued combat boots
    AKA Leather Personel Carriers

They are intended to transport Government property (you)

I suppose buying the best sneakers you can afford would make a tough job a little more pleasant. If they are confiscated do to style, color or build,,,, oh well

Cain,
    Minimalist footwear IS authorized as running shoes per MARADMIN.
    However, I would not recommend bringing it to OCS, because you will likely want the greater support of traditional running shoes for the paths you will be running on, and additionally because whatever type of shoe you bring there is a good chance it will get destroyed over the course of OCS. A good old, well broken in pair of regular running shoes will serve you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post
    Cain,
    Minimalist footwear IS authorized as running shoes per MARADMIN.
    However, I would not recommend bringing it to OCS, because you will likely want the greater support of traditional running shoes for the paths you will be running on, and additionally because whatever type of shoe you bring there is a good chance it will get destroyed over the course of OCS. A good old, well broken in pair of regular running shoes will serve you best.
    I've not used the Minimus, however the phrase I keep seeing on the adds is 'not much rock protection here.' The advice above is excellent, based on my experience going through OCS. In my opinion, the two most important things you are going to need in a shoe at OCS are traction and support. Looking at the Minimus adds, I do not get a 'warm and fuzzy' that it would really provide you either.

Additionally, Beltayn is right on the mark -- your shoes are going to get trashed at OCS. Have fun!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thanks for the advice. i will avoid switching shoes.

Thread Information