Dong Ha 3rd Shore Party - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Was in and out of bulk fuel all the time 66-67 with FLSG-B MT-Supply don't remember all the guys I met there but I do remember tossing a football around once and a while. More than likly I met your father some good times some not so good. Keep going there are more of red tags on this site.

Hi,
    Just read your post for your father. Sorry I did not get back quicker and hope you are still checking replies.
    My name is Paul Plapp. I was mentioned by Doc Lawrence in his reply. I was at Cua Viet the day Your Dad was wounded. I think I saw him again at Quantico right before I was discharged.
    I remember your Dad, Doc Lawrence, Phillips, Donegan, Hansen, Golding, Dubois, Smitty, Stymie and Captain Burger.
    Left Cua Viet and went to Ca Lu - LZ Stud.
    It was a long time ago but in some ways seems like yesterday
    Hope your Dad is well.

Paul Plapp

Hi Doc,
    This is Paul Plapp . We were together at Cua Viet. Think we were together at LZ Stud also. Just read your reply Jordan. Wonder if any of the other Cua Viet people are on this site.Don
    ' know for sure but heard both Stymie and Donegan were wounde on one of the Hills around KheSahn. Were you with me when I got malaria? Don't remember much about that morning or the next several weeks.Think a Corpsman probably saved my life that morning- 107 degree fever. He put me under a water buffalo and opened it up to get my fever down. If it was you THANKS.
    Hope all is well with you and that you are still checking this site. It would be great to hear from you.

Paul Plapp

Its a good thing that you all can find each other I myself was over there about the same time but I was in motor transport 11th motors, Charlie company, 1st Marine's.Its been so long ago can't remember anyone's name so you are lucky to find each other. Semper- Fi Marine's. have a great Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas.

Credits
    Savings
    Hey this is like old home week. I was in Nam from Sept 66 to Oct 67 and think I was with most of the Shore Party companies that were in Dong Ha other than a couple of months when I was transferred to 3/4 for the BLT. We were always short on radio operators and usually rotated in and out on HST's but I certainly remember Robbie, Jack Lamb and his buddy Jetland who still owes me a hundred bucks but they were rotating home just about when I got in country, I remember Ed Hriscko (OX) and Rick Maas I don't remember your Dad I don't think I ever got down to the boat ramp. We were at the end of the air strip, right next to the ammo dump when it got hit and wiped out the entire area. Funny thing about Nam was when most of us got back we kind of melted into the walls and lost track each other. I was with the 3/4 bunch for a while but there's only a few of them that kept in touch. Let's face it, when we came home the press and the public had turned against the war and nobody gave a sh*t about what we did I guess we're like the forgotten generation. I remember we used to twist Semper Fidelis into simply forget us but I love all of you old coots anyway even if I can't remember who most of you are.

Dagmar Doc

Hey, Paul Plapp!
    Good to hear from you and to know that you're doing well!
    Yep, I was also sent to Ca Lu from Cua Viet. That LZ got a lot of incoming while we were there. But, we supplied a lot to Khe Sahn so we had to be a prime target. Khe Sahn was getting hit continuously. It was a hell hole at that time.
    I was the only Shore Party corpsman in Cua Viet but in Ca Lu there were some others. If I remember correctly their names were Larry Freeman, Kenny Paul, and Jim Byersdorf (he had the handlebar mustache). Hope I got those names right. I remember that Kenny played the guitar in his "spare time". So did I.

Paul, I have a black and white Polariod picture that I took of you up on a bulldozer, I think when you were putting diesel fuel in it. I also have one of Jim Druitt (Stymie?) and Steve Fenbert. Another one of Alan Stewart. Those were all taken in Cua Viet.

God, it would be great to get the guys together some time.
    I've tried to find Tom Guzik and Jim Donegan but no luck. Guzik was in Dong Ha when I met him. He taught me enough to get me started playing the guitar before I went to Cua Viet. I still play thanks to Tom.

You're right, Donegan did get wounded. I got a couple letters from him from the hospital ship. Don't know if he went back into action after that or not. I think he did. Sure hope he's okay. He was a crazy kid back then.

Let's keep in touch, man!!

Thread Information