Dong Ha 3rd Shore Party
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Dong Ha 3rd Shore Party

Hello Marines,

Just posting this for my father as he has been talking about his time in Vietnam a little bit more these days.

Was wondering if anyone may have known my father or was around where he was at; his name is Walter(Rooney) Jordan.

The little information that I could gather from him was that he served in the 3rd Marines 3rd Shore Party Company B along the Cua Viet River around 67-68 and was wounded on March 13th.

He recalls his Corpsman was Lawerence, he remembers Hansen? and also recalls the Bulk fuel supply getting blown up and one time a few jets strafed them along the river.

I apologize if I'm not to post here and if so I will remove my post.

Thanks Marines!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadhowse View Post
    Hello Marines,

Just posting this for my father as he has been talking about his time in Vietnam a little bit more these days.

Was wondering if anyone may have known my father or was around where he was at; his name is Walter(Rooney) Jordan.

The little information that I could gather from him was that he served in the 3rd Marines 3rd Shore Party Company B along the Cua Viet River around 67-68 and was wounded on March 13th.

He recalls his Corpsman was Lawerence, he remembers Hansen? and also recalls the Bulk fuel supply getting blown up and one time a few jets strafed them along the river.

Thanks Marines!

Just for your information, not his.
    his address with the red patches was
    "B Company, 3rd ShoreParty Bn. 3rd MAR DIV FMF"

Good Luck
    finding his friends... took me 40+ years to find a MarineBest Friend last seen in RVN,,, It can be done, dont give up on it.
    Tell your dad, "Welcome Home" from a lot of grungy Juggies on here.
    and the ever present "SemperFidelis Marine"

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    M14ed,

Thanks for the information and encouragement. I'll be sure to tell him that for all of you, I've been trying to get him on this site but he's not much of a computer person.

Thanks again!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

turkeyday 69

I was outside dong ha turkey day near hwy 9 about 30 of us dug in real tite ,waiting on our first turkey parade, about high noon here they come ,oper 109 camlo, they never seen us ,20 of them laghing talking beatle nut chewing and all, at 1300 it was over,it was like shooten fish in a barrel, jump on a duce and a half went to quang tri and ate turkey with supply.drank my second beer chug some jack, i was on my way to becomeing a grunt they said, two weeks in the bush ,after that day my state side life was gone, for good, s/f

Credits
    Savings
    M14ed,

Thanks for the information and encouragement. I'll be sure to tell him that for all of you, I've been trying to get him on this site but he's not much of a computer person.

Thanks again!

He'll be welcome on here... we always dont get along as you think we would, but it's something about the same as life .
    There are plenty of Vietnam Service Marines on here,, RedPatchers and all.
    One name leads to another,, ShoreParty was actually one of the smaller units in the MarineCorps. (one battalion per fmf division)
    There are also current Marines who wear the RedPatches on here, I've spoken to one or two of them when they presented a target. But they dont call our unit ShoreParty anymore,,,,, something like Logistics Support,,,Nothing as Adventurious sounding as ShoreParty.
    Tell him, come on,, dont be a sissy.. Party Hardy ShoreParty..

I am Corpsman Lawrence. I remember your dad very well.

I remember "The Greek" very well. That was the nickname we gave him because he said that his fiance or girlfriend told him that he had the body of a Greek god. Hansen used to tease him a lot about that. I wonder if he remembers that. I think he was from Irwin, Pa? I'm from Uniontown but live in Colorado now.

Your dad did write me a letter from the hospital that he was sent to but the communications died off after that. We had so many other things going on back then.

A couple more names in our company were Steve Fenbert, Corporal Plapp, Jim Galligan, Jim Druitt, Jack Lamb (the radioman), Captain Burger.....

It would be grear to hear from him sometime. Today is the first time I got on so we're in the same boat.

We did have some fun in Cua Viet being on a beach for a couple months. It did have its drawbacks but at least the mortars weren't too loud because they landed in sand instead of hard ground. He didn't make it to Ca Lu but that place was really bad being so close to Khe Sahn...and on hard ground.

Hello Marines,

Thanks Marines!

Just want to make a correction, I referenced Jim Galligan in my reply but his name is really Jim Dunegan. Great and funny guy. He wrote me a couple letters from the hospital ship. He got wounded also while out on a HST, I believe. Hope he's doing okay.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was with Charlie Company, 3rd Shore Party
    68-70
    I was TAD for awhile with the SeaBees in Dong Ha unloading cargo barges.
    Was also up to Gio Linh for what seemed like forever...
    Cua Viet was I Corps in country R&R.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was with Lima, 3/3/3 in '69. We did an in-country r&r at Cua Viet in the summer. Watching a movie AND.....the ammo dump went up BIGTIME!! Pretty sure (?) that 3/3 was relocated to Dong Ha that summer......so much for Quang Tri!!!
    Lost a lot of buddies/friends between May and August of '69, now we're having to live with those difficult memories.....FVCK VIET NAM!!!!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Glad you made a connection from so many years ago. A time in our life we will never forget. I see a couple of Docs on this thread. Thank you brothers! You saved my life, as well as countless others.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Glad you made a connection from so many years ago. A time in our life we will never forget. I see a couple of Docs on this thread. Thank you brothers! You saved my life, as well as countless others.

Hey Doc...Fenbert here.

I remember Cpl. Fish from Oh. JP Phillipin from Brooklyn plus the guys already mentioned. Your Dad got a hold of a football and we tossed it around, I think he said he played QB in High School Dunnagan did some Great Impressions of celberties and Captian Burger. When you dad was medivaced out Fish and I packed his seabag, don't no if her ever got it. Hope all is well with Rooney.

Steve, nice hearing from you. I see you also replied to Greek's son's message. That's cool! You mentioned Dunegan, he's the one who pinned the handle Dagmar Doc on me. Dagmar was the 3rd shore party's radio call sign. I still have a couple letters from Dunegan that he sent from the hospital ship.
    Hey, I was looking through some of those pictures (Polaroids) a couple days ago. I have a pic of you and Jim Druitt. I would make you smile I'm sure. Hey, it's cool being able to "talk" after so long. Hope you're doing great.

Dong Ha and Cua Viet

James Robinson here.

I was attached to C Company at Dong Ha from Comm Section, H&S Company during the monsoon of winter '66-'67. I knew John (Jack) W.(onderful) Lamb from Danang and Gia Le Combat Base. Tony Simpson was in Dong Ha, Danang and Thuan An Island...I hooked up with him by phone last year in St. Louis.

I didn't know The Greek, but could have served with him on the ramp in Dong Ha or on a team attached to various grunt outfits.

The mud was at least ankle deep that winter and I spent 10 days or so fighting dysentery...it made for some daunting night time trips to the head.

I was out of there before the bladders got hit.

I served my last month in country at Cua Viet and, yes, it was resort-like. But the shellings were regular and we stayed alert. There was a comm guy there named Ron Ellison who I believe was from Indiana. We called him The Plainsman. Most of the incoming was at night, but one sunny afternoon the rounds started falling and Ron was bathing in the river. Imagine a naked guy hauling it across the beach with gear in hand.

So last June (2013), I made my back to the Central Coast and visited all those places along with Hue, Danang and Hoi An. I stopped at The Rockpile which is all grown over. The jungle never sleeps, you know. Dong Ha is a small but modern metropolis now. Seemed like only a village back then. Cua Viet is fairly industrial with some huge cargo operations going on. It was recognizable from the beach. I hiked through a rubber tree grove to Con Tien. It was totally overgrown and barely accessible, Thuan An Island had one small village back in '67 and now it's completely populated with residential and small business structures. All the beaches are still beautiful and unspoiled. Danang is all about business; it's a nice looking city with a lot of water and bridges, and a magnificent 70 meter Buddha on a hill on the outskirts surrounded by an amazing and inspiring temple complex. Mine and the SeaBees old Bn HQs are now a stone quarry and the big PX across the road is some kind of government facility. Visited Marble Mountain which is all about selling marble to tourists. But the temple on top is a phenomenal place to see.

I had the time of my life there and plan to return early next year. It's an awesome country, The people are kind and gracious. Of course, many have their hand out with a hard sell, but I didn't find it offensive. Next trip will be to Saigon, Hanoi and Halong Bay...maybe Ankgor Wat in Cambodia if there's time.

Thanks for indulging me in this extended tome. I hope it stirs memories among my Red Patch brothers. Make the trip...you won't regret it.

SSgt. James (Robbie) Robinson
    Minneapolis

Thread Information