TS Clearence
Create Post

Thread: TS Clearence

TS Clearence

I just read a bunch of threads about this but I have one difference that those didn't have.

My Step dad is British. He moved over here to the USA about 10 years ago and became a US citizen. I don't know if he has Dual Citizenship but the job I'm applying for is the DD contract and I've read that "immediate family" must not have dual citizenship.

Since he isn't my dad and only related by marriage would he have to give up dual citizenship if he had it for me to continue on to get my TS clearance?

Thank you

Yes he would have to give up duel citizenship and you will need proof of that in record book when you go to recruit training for the Intel Screening.

Quote Originally Posted by oscrmyr View Post
    Yes he would have to give up duel citizenship and you will need proof of that in record book when you go to recruit training for the Intel Screening.
    That is not necessarily true. In my current capacity I screen numerous SF-86 applications from individuals, including naturalized U.S. citizens, who are seeking clearances. The dual citizenship clause is one of the 13 adjudicative guidelines that will be considered however, in this particular case his situation can be easily mitigated and shouldn't be a deal breaker for a TS clearance as his step-father's birth citizenship is not from a "country of interest." Barring no other major issues with his 86, he should be eligible for a TS.

Quote Originally Posted by 0211 Gunny View Post
    That is not necessarily true. In my current capacity I screen numerous SF-86 applications from individuals, including naturalized U.S. citizens, who are seeking clearances. The dual citizenship clause is one of the 13 adjudicative guidelines that will be considered however, in this particular case his situation can be easily mitigated and shouldn't be a deal breaker for a TS clearance as his step-father's birth citizenship is not from a "country of interest." Barring no other major issues with his 86, he should be eligible for a TS.
    When he swore in, he said he had to pledge allegiance to the United States. So wouldn't he be in the eyes of the US a US citizen? Or does he have to go to Washington to the British Embassy to give it up in order to be a US citizen fully?

Thank you very much Gunny, I hope what you say is true. Him and I are not close. He hasn't been back to England since 2004 and only talks to his sister via webcam.

Quote Originally Posted by KeNnETT View Post
    When he swore in, he said he had to pledge allegiance to the United States. So wouldn't he be in the eyes of the US a US citizen? Or does he have to go to Washington to the British Embassy to give it up in order to be a US citizen fully?

Thank you very much Gunny, I hope what you say is true. Him and I are not close. He hasn't been back to England since 2004 and only talks to his sister via webcam.
    Your step-father is a Naturalized U.S. citizen who enjoys all rights as a regular citizen. In the eyes of the U.S., he is a full citizen. That's not the issue. The issue is that he is a dual citizen, holding British citizenship as well. The fact that he verbally declared his sole allegiance to the U.S. is not enough for his former home nation to accept. He needs to formally renounce his former citizenship if he wants to get rid of it. This is the same for most nations. If he wanted to give up his dual citizenship he can do so with very little effort.
    Formally renouncing British citizenship is actually a simple process. He submits an RN form with his signature and another person's, 18 and over, who knows him well to the nearest British consulate. He'll receive a copy back from the consulate indicating the date his renunciation became effective. Of course he has to pay a fee. That's it. No physical presence required.
    If you are still given the opportunity to submit your SF-86, do it. Adjudicators look at the "complete person" when they consider granting eligibility for a security clearance. If they mitigate this then you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 0211 Gunny View Post
    Your step-father is a Naturalized U.S. citizen who enjoys all rights as a regular citizen. In the eyes of the U.S., he is a full citizen. That's not the issue. The issue is that he is a dual citizen, holding British citizenship as well. The fact that he verbally declared his sole allegiance to the U.S. is not enough for his former home nation to accept. He needs to formally renounce his former citizenship if he wants to get rid of it. This is the same for most nations. If he wanted to give up his dual citizenship he can do so with very little effort.
    Formally renouncing British citizenship is actually a simple process. He submits an RN form with his signature and another person's, 18 and over, who knows him well to the nearest British consulate. He'll receive a copy back from the consulate indicating the date his renunciation became effective. Of course he has to pay a fee. That's it. No physical presence required.
    Thank you for the help, it helps a ton. As far as him doing that I will not ask him to since he is not my father and I don't know if I would do the same for someone if they weren't my kid and we were not close.

If you are still given the opportunity to submit your SF-86, do it. Adjudicators look at the "complete person" when they consider granting eligibility for a security clearance. If they mitigate this then you're good to go.
    So, when will I have to submit my SF-86? Before bootcamp? Is it before I have that interview with the FBI comes to my recruiting station? What happens if I'm in the USMC and I get denied, do I have to pick another job or have the option of getting out?

Thank you so much for the help 0211 Gunny (don't know your rank unless your a Gunnery Sgt)for the help.

Your step-dad's dual citizenship might have implications regarding the SCI portion of your clearance, but I doubt it.

Ya'll have been a lot of help, thank you Marines. I appreciate you taking the time to answer this Poolee's questions.

Thread Information