Medal Question
Create Post

Thread: Medal Question

Medal Question

I just read where a local veteran had 4 Leaf Medals. What is a Leaf Medal? He also had 2 Silver Stars and 4 Bronze stars. Seemed curious to me.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    If I'm not mistaken, if you have a leaf on your decoration, it means more than one of what ever it is.

THE LEAF IS THE ARMY AND AIRFORCE EQUIVALENT TO OUR STARS ,BRONZE STAR AND SILVER
    BRONZE FOR ADDITISIONAL AWARDS AND SILVER STAR FOR 5TH AWARD AND AFTER
    i hope that clears it up

SEMPER FI

stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

I have never heard that term used. Weird.

But, yes, Army/Air Force issues oak leaf clusters for subsequent awards, on certain medals/ribbons.

ALSO, do NOT believe 'at first glance' when you hear someone has 'so many' bronze or silver stars. I can LEGALLY say I have 3 Bronze Stars....on my Sea Service Deployment ribbon LOL. See the issue? I have run into old veterans who, going by what it said on their DD-214 (and the older army discharge form, can't remember what that is now) claimed to have '2 bronze stars' (etc). When I checked (in helping them put together shadow boxes etc) I found out they were on CAMPAIGN ribbons, and were not 'actual' Bronze (or Silver) stars.

What war was the vet from? If you provide a name via PM I can easily research those Silver Stars.

Medals

Thanks for the help guys. After reading about the way multiple awards are handled it makes sense. I guess my imagination ran away when the man was listed as a Seal, then Army special forces with a lot of awards.

Thread Information