Kuwait Liberation Medal
Create Post

Kuwait Liberation Medal

I have looked and searched the forums for anything about the Kuwait Liberation Medal issued by Kuwait. I thought I had seen the posting of the order concerning who rated them. I do have the KLM Saudi as I was task force grizzly. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia)

The Saudi Arabian version of the Kuwait Liberation Medal is awarded to members of the Coalition Forces who participated in Operation Desert Storm and the liberation of Kuwait between the dates of January 17, 1991 and February 28, 1991.

It is considered rarer than the Kuwaiti version of the medal, as it recognizes service in a relatively short period of time (only a few weeks) whereas the Kuwaiti version of the medal is granted for service over several years. The Saudi version is also senior in precedence,

The Wisam Al-Tahrir (Arabic: وسام التحرير‎) (Liberation Medal) was issued by the government of Kuwait for service during the Liberation of Kuwait campaign.

United States

The US accepted only the fifth grade version for all personnel.

Criteria: Awarded to members of the Military Coalition who served in support of Operation Desert Shield or Desert Storm in one or more of the following areas between 2 August 1990 and 31 August 1993: Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Aden, that portion of the Arabian Sea that lies north of 10 degrees north latitude and west of 68 degrees east longitude, as well as the total land areas of Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates. To be eligible,[2] a service member must have been:[3]
    (1) attached to or regularly serving for one or more days with an organization participating in ground/shore (military) operations; (2) attached to or regularly serving for one or more days aboard a naval vessel directly supporting military operations; (3) actually participating as a crew member in one or more aerial flights directly supporting military operations in the areas designated above; (4) serving on temporary duty for 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days. These time limitations may be waived for members participating in actual combat operations.
    The Government of Kuwait offered the Kuwait Liberation Medal to members of the Armed Forces of the United States by letter dated 16 July 1994. The medal was accepted by Secretary of Defense William J. Perry per memorandum dated 16 March 1995.

The Kuwait version of the Kuwait Liberation Medal is considered junior in precedence to the Saudi Arabian version of the medal.

Fifth Class
    Medal: A Bronze medal with enamel, 1 9/16 inches (40 mm) in diameter suspended from a bar by a wreath. The obverse bears the Coat of Arms of the State of Kuwait. The Coat of Arms consists of the shield of the flag design in color superimposed on a falcon with wings displayed. The falcon supports a disk containing a sailing ship with the full name of the State written at the top of the disk. At the top of the medal is the inscription "1991 LIBERATION MEDAL" in Arabic letters. The reverse side is the map of Kuwait on a rayed background.
    Ribbon: The ribbon is the pattern of the flag of the State of Kuwait and consists of three equal stripes 29/64 inch (11.5 mm) each of the following colors: Old Glory Red 67156; White 67101; and Irish Green 67189. A black trapezium is at the top of the ribbon drape and service ribbon.

Kuwait Liberation Medal
    Buy Kuwait Liberation Medal at USA Military Medals. Fast Ship.
    www.usamilitarymedals.com

US Navy Medals

US Army Ribbons and Awards

US Air Force Medals

US Marine Corps Medals

Thread Information